Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 24, 2024 - @72.30 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 52/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  © ∙ Music Room
| | |-+  Progressive Rock Heads here?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Progressive Rock Heads here?  (Read 315 times)
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: November 18, 2023 @456.76 »

This Thread is dedicated to progressive Rock and its relatives - Fusion Rock, Jazz Rock, Zheul, and Jazz Rock are welcome. If you have any good footage, album recommendations, or unknown bands - go nuts!

To open the reign, 2 classics and 2 more exotic specimen :D

Gryphon is blending prog rock with british folk music. They are active for years, and they aged damn well - a thing I can't say 'bout most of these fossils still active :D. There is also a cool live footage of them playing back in the days on yt, but my favorite is the thing in the union chapel.

Van der Graaf Generator is so good that I know a person who gone literally mad over it, developing a devouring obsession about the band.

Talu is a more or less contemporary band. Words can't describe how hard they rock!

GLASS is a band that you'll hardly be able to find, but I can only recommend to try it - this great excerpt from Spectrum Principle doesn't the band justice, you have to listen a full album to get it. They are so damn virtuose!

urgellx
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Lost on the web

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023 @587.62 »

Hello, not a prog-rock head but i'll send a two links that i've discovered over the past year or so.

Capillary Action's So Embarrassing

Ni's Pantophobie

Different styles but i believe they fit in the genres you've listed above (although Ni is more math
rock i believe ? I don't understand genres that much...)

Have a good day and i'm impatient to see people's suggestions ! :ozwomp:

Héhé, écoute, derrière y'avait pas mal de vent.
virtue
Full Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023 @757.47 »

I don't listen to a whole lot of prog-rock, but I do have a few picks I especially enjoy!

TLDR; listen to "I" by Botch and "nature will take its course/dry resevoirs" by Skeletal Works first you'll probably like them most

Tacoma Narrows Bridge disaster is an excellent far more modern prog rock/metal act, my favorite album of theirs is Wires/Dreams\Wires, it has very unique vibes and incredible production all throughout. their latest album was also good but i think it was a little too clean for my tastes.
Oko by Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster

The Fall Of Troy also made an abrupt and brief break into progressive/post rock with their album Phantom on the Horizon, and in my personal opinion, it was excellent! It is beautiful and haunting, the crescendos have these really interesting choir performances over them that great a really ghostly vibe.
Introverting Dimentions by The Fall of Troy

And speaking of 'Ghostly'... If you want a REALLY niche cut, I have a friend who makes some absolutely wild prog rock/metal stuff in a little more classic style, it is super catchy and groovy and honestly kinda the height of the underground/indie prog scene imo. Their album Undone is probably the most prog-y of what I've heard. https://skeletalworks.bandcamp.com/album/undone (especially "nature will take it's course" and "dry resevoirs", WOW)

Lastly, these two go hand in hand, and theyre also a lot more post than prog, but Pijn and Bossk are some of my favorite bands ever! In fact, Bossk's album Audio Noir is my personal pick for the absolute best rock album of all time. BUT, Audio Noir is more post than prog, so I'll recommend I II (Remastered) instead. They both have a really enveloping progressive sound to them that can really get you lost in the sound.
I by Bossk (From I II (Remastered)

Weave In by Pijn
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023 @784.73 by virtue » Logged

I <3 RANDOM MESSAGES!!!
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023 @788.72 »

rock operatic science fantasy and more...
(...all opinions mine unless attributed, and free to a good home...)
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023 @615.49 »

Listened to the stuff linked by @urgellx today. Indeed more on the Math-Rock-Scale. Tend to prefer the second gig over the first one. Telling what genre is what is indeed hard in this area, as they often do overlap. Math-Rock is indeed a part of the family if you ask me.

villiersterrace
Casual Poster ⚓︎

He/They

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023 @992.35 »

Eddie Jobson is so underrated by prog fans. He was in Curved Air, Jethro Tull, Roxy Music, U.K, a few other bands, and very briefly Yes. He has two solo albums, the first one is called The Green Album and it is very good. I haven't heard anything else like it. The second one is Theme Of Secrets and I don't like it as much because I don't like instrumental albums.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

hello !! heres some art of mine C:

Started by 2010Board ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 14
Views: 2933
Last post August 24, 2023 @939.38
by 2010
POMPOMPURIN ROCK!!!

Started by LIABoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 12
Views: 785
Last post October 01, 2023 @234.07
by vashti
Shibuya-kei music recs? Or Japanese math rock...

Started by vashtiBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 6
Views: 587
Last post February 24, 2024 @864.14
by cydthezombie

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi