Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @84.90 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 29/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  DOOM WADS

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DOOM WADS  (Read 974 times)
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: June 04, 2023 @688.31 »

DOOM WADS

I am a huge fan (and budding creator) of DOOM WADS. For those of you who don't know a WAD is basically a file that can be run in the doom engine, it can be anything from a single level to an entire gameplay change to even a whole game made in the DOOM engine. Recently DOOM WADS have gotten some mainstream attention because of the absolutely amazing MyHouse.wad. So I figured I'd start a discussion and see if anyone else has some favorites

My favourites have to be:

Pirate DOOM

A romp through the seven seas in the form of the coolest pirate game I've ever played, this mod includes new weapons, enemies and some shanty tunes!

Brutal DOOM
A mod I love to throw on top of others, it adds insane gore, new weapons as well as secondary effects for usual weapons, executions, and most importantly, It's just plain ol' brutal.

Unloved
You like DOOM? You like Silent Hill? Play this, nothing else to say.

Fistfull of DOOM
DOOM but cowboys!!!

If anyone would like a tutorial on how to play these wads I'd be more than happy to drop a couple in here, I'd also love to give more to try and see other's suggestions  :cheesy:

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Badgermein
Casual Poster ⚓︎

:-)

iMood: Badgermein

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023 @820.39 »

DOOM WADS

I am a huge fan (and budding creator) of DOOM WADS. For those of you who don't know a WAD is basically a file that can be run in the doom engine, it can be anything from a single level to an entire gameplay change to even a whole game made in the DOOM engine. Recently DOOM WADS have gotten some mainstream attention because of the absolutely amazing MyHouse.wad. So I figured I'd start a discussion and see if anyone else has some favorites

My favourites have to be:

Pirate DOOM

A romp through the seven seas in the form of the coolest pirate game I've ever played, this mod includes new weapons, enemies and some shanty tunes!

Brutal DOOM
A mod I love to throw on top of others, it adds insane gore, new weapons as well as secondary effects for usual weapons, executions, and most importantly, It's just plain ol' brutal.

Unloved
You like DOOM? You like Silent Hill? Play this, nothing else to say.

Fistfull of DOOM
DOOM but cowboys!!!

If anyone would like a tutorial on how to play these wads I'd be more than happy to drop a couple in here, I'd also love to give more to try and see other's suggestions  :cheesy:

I would ABSOLUTELY love a tutorial on how to play these! I'm not old enough to have played DOOM from the beginning, but I enjoy playing a little bit of Doom or Wolfenstein every once in a while. Everyone and their mother has been talking about the MyHouse.wad and I want to try that out before I get spoiled! <:-) 
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023 @857.87 »

I would ABSOLUTELY love a tutorial on how to play these! I'm not old enough to have played DOOM from the beginning, but I enjoy playing a little bit of Doom or Wolfenstein every once in a while. Everyone and their mother has been talking about the MyHouse.wad and I want to try that out before I get spoiled! <:-) 

I totally recommend it, the only thing I will tell you is that afterwards there are some good videos that talk about why as a DOOM WAD it's unique and weird (engine stuff that the boomers know)

As for how to start there are a few things you will need. A DOOM 2 IWAD, a program that runs WADS and a WAD (In this case myhouse.wad)

An IWAD basically gives you the engine to use, there are legal ways to do this but personally I just went and got my IWADS from this site. Most modern WADS use DOOM 2 as a base but the other IWADS are good if you plan on delving deeper into the world of DOOM WADS.

once you have those somewhere safe, download a client, this basically takes the engine out of your IWAD and uses it to play the WAD. Personally I use GZDOOM, as do most people (this guide will continue with GZDOOM but if for some reason you use another it will be mostly the same). Once you have downloaded and extracted your client, put your IWADS in the same folder as your clients EXE

For example: C/Users/Silkskull/Games/GZDOOM

Once you have a DOOM client with IWADS ready to go, download and extract the WAD you intend to play and simply drag the WAD onto your clients EXE (For example GZDOOM.exe)

If you have any issues let me know! I've been knee deep in this for a while so I can hopefully answer most questions!

She/Her

Badgermein
Casual Poster ⚓︎

:-)

iMood: Badgermein

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023 @195.16 »

I totally recommend it, the only thing I will tell you is that afterwards there are some good videos that talk about why as a DOOM WAD it's unique and weird (engine stuff that the boomers know)

As for how to start there are a few things you will need. A DOOM 2 IWAD, a program that runs WADS and a WAD (In this case myhouse.wad)

An IWAD basically gives you the engine to use, there are legal ways to do this but personally I just went and got my IWADS from this site. Most modern WADS use DOOM 2 as a base but the other IWADS are good if you plan on delving deeper into the world of DOOM WADS.

once you have those somewhere safe, download a client, this basically takes the engine out of your IWAD and uses it to play the WAD. Personally I use GZDOOM, as do most people (this guide will continue with GZDOOM but if for some reason you use another it will be mostly the same). Once you have downloaded and extracted your client, put your IWADS in the same folder as your clients EXE

For example: C/Users/Silkskull/Games/GZDOOM

Once you have a DOOM client with IWADS ready to go, download and extract the WAD you intend to play and simply drag the WAD onto your clients EXE (For example GZDOOM.exe)

If you have any issues let me know! I've been knee deep in this for a while so I can hopefully answer most questions!

Wow! That was easy. Thank you so much for helping me out. I'm looking forward to playing some cool wads, and finally completing the original DOOM trilogy one of these days. I'm sure anyone else interested in this will find this very helpful.
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023 @226.31 »

Wow! That was easy. Thank you so much for helping me out. I'm looking forward to playing some cool wads, and finally completing the original DOOM trilogy one of these days. I'm sure anyone else interested in this will find this very helpful.

No worries! It looks hard at first but once you get going it's so easy, if you ever want some wads to try out let me know, I got lots!

She/Her

twan1

Mge me.

iMood: Twan1

View Profile

First 1000 Members!My BelovedJoined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023 @223.55 »

Myhouse.wad is probably one of the craziest wads ever!
i dont wanna spoil it so check it out
I also like that one that adds peppino from pizza tower but idk what it's called

That's a spicy meat-a-ball! :chef:
Spots
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023 @229.18 »

I recently tried playing myhouse.wad, but it was too confusing for me to want to figure out everything for myself, so I watched a video on it instead. I think it's really cool and scary in a unique way.

Spoiler
Specifically the way the house keeps changing robs the player of any sense of security or predictability and made me very anxious while I was playing it.
[close]

Recently, I've been playing through the first two Doom games with the Project Brutality mod since I've never finished them yet. I got through Doom 1 and now I'm working on Doom 2 and it's been a lot of fun so far. I haven't played all that many classic Doom mods, but my favorite so far is Reelism. It's a really crazy arena-style mod where slots are rolled every minute to determine random modifiers to the game like what type of enemies and weapons will spawn and other random effects.

ZappaMaestro
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Keep rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin

iMood: JackParticiple

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2023 @353.10 »

Man it's so hard to say what my favorite DOOM WAD is.
I think I'm gonna have to go with Samsara. It took me awhile to set up and find people to play with but holy crap once you get in game with people it's an absolute blast! There's nothing more fun than being able to blast demons from DOOM, cultists from Blood, the Pfhor, etc as the Chex Warrior and the Marathon guy. It can get pretty difficult too as everyone's technically a different class and specializes in different things. Definitely a fun experience if you're willing to go through the hassle of getting it setup  :ozwomp:

There's also Stronghold which was one of the first WADs I ever played honestly. I really like wave defense games so Stronghold is right up my alley. You can buy new equipment to use, unlock new levels, replay levels to get a better ranking, etc. It's a fairly standard wave defense formula all things considered but I always enjoyed it.

It'd be remiss of me to not mention the ever classic NUTS WAD as well. For those of you new to DOOM WADs, it's... an experience. Lots of enemies, that's all I gotta say. It's not my favorite, but it's pretty funny for 5 seconds.

Edit: Added links to the mods.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023 @782.36 by ZappaMaestro » Logged

Have you guessed me, yet? I'm the slime oozin' out from your TV set.

SiLver
Casual Poster ⚓︎

iMood: SiLverSkelebeast

View Profile WWW

Lego Bionicle !Joined 2024!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2024 @341.67 »

Im a big fan of custom Doom Wads! Ive experimented a bit with making custom maps myself but nothing I really feel is worth sharing. (Maybe in the future when Ive got something more put together)

One of my favorite Wads is Sunlust.wad It's a full 32 level pack with tons of difficult fights and interesting visual design. A great wad for those of you looking for a challenge I think.

:skull: Disciple of the Evil Skull since 2007 :skull:
Audball
Casual Poster ⚓︎

WOE BE TO THOSE WHO SEE!!!

iMood: audball

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2024 @667.47 »

My favorite custom DOOM mod has to be the one my friend made! Treasure Tech!

He basically wanted to make a doom mod that plays like Warioland but with his own special twist! VERY fun and addicting imho.

(I also did one or two of the gun sfx for it which I'm still proud of. :grin: I'm listed in the credits but under an old username.)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (1)

Have you made any doom wads?

Started by Trooper123Board ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 3
Views: 532
Last post December 29, 2023 @686.34
by jjharley

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi