Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 08 Oct 2026 - @996.93
Forum Activity: Three Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :cry: Are u having fun? Guild Events: weekly zine jam 15: dreams
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Da Web Revival
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Practice CSS with smol.pub


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Practice CSS with smol.pub  (Read 1903 times)
pinkvampyr
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile


Claire (he/him) pink/black color combo enjoyer
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: pinkvampyr
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: pinkvampyr

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: Summer, 06 Jun 2023 @812 » Toggle Font Embed

Not sure if this is where i should post this lol but I recently decided to host a blog on smol.pub instead of directly from neocities, which i was bummed out about at first because I had wanted to do some customizing to it and get some practice in before I start my main project. Then i realized smol.pub had some CSS customization too! I was a bit limited because I couldn't fiddle with the HTML and could only work with Gemtext but I managed to work out something that was pretty similar to my original design!

here it is! i appreciate any critique people can give but again note that I could only work with CSS and gemtext.

Logged

https://i.postimg.cc/tRFZrYmg/blinkies-Cafe-9u.gif https://i.postimg.cc/c4mKSPWy/blinkies-Cafe-ps.gif

Lyonid
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWWArt


Controlled Chaos ~ Please be kind.
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: Lyonid
iMood: Lyonid
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
ArturFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: Summer, 06 Jun 2023 @874 » Toggle Font Embed

I think it's so lovely! What kind of critique are you looking for? Is it aesthetics? Technicalities? I think the background is so cute, and I really enjoy the colors. Dragging and pushing my browser around also didn't break the site, so it's also clear. I can't wait for you to share some posts.  :4u:

Logged

xx <3
https://img.flowergame.net/1111441.png

Artifact Swap: LyonidKnollCrystallized ExoskullShell Creature
pinkvampyr
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile


Claire (he/him) pink/black color combo enjoyer
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: pinkvampyr
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: pinkvampyr

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: Summer, 07 Jun 2023 @964 » Toggle Font Embed

I think it's so lovely! What kind of critique are you looking for? Is it aesthetics? Technicalities? I think the background is so cute, and I really enjoy the colors. Dragging and pushing my browser around also didn't break the site, so it's also clear. I can't wait for you to share some posts.  :4u:

i'm actually not sure pfff, i guess just any critique that pops up, and thank you!!!!

Logged

https://i.postimg.cc/tRFZrYmg/blinkies-Cafe-9u.gif https://i.postimg.cc/c4mKSPWy/blinkies-Cafe-ps.gif

arcus
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: Summer, 07 Jun 2023 @996 » Toggle Font Embed

The way the colours match the background is really good. The borders are a nice touch too. It's a good amount of simplicity without being plain, I like it.

Code
img {
    padding-left: 150px;
    padding-right: 150px;
    display: block;
    margin: 5px auto 5px auto;
    width: 100%;
}

You don't need to add padding or use width 100%, since the image will automatically centre and scale down. The way it's set here is that the padding will take up the same amount of space, while the header image gets smaller.

If don't want your header image to take up the space to the sides in a smaller window, you can leave the width unset, and set the padding to the side to percentages.

Code
img {
    padding-left: 10%;
    padding-right: 10%;
    display: block;
    margin: 5px auto 5px auto;
}

Something like this.

Is there a reason why you went with h3 for the headers? Not that you need to change them. Just that it's the standard to use one h1 heading, then use h2 headings for sub headings for the h1 heading, and so on.

Logged

pinkvampyr
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile


Claire (he/him) pink/black color combo enjoyer
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: pinkvampyr
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: pinkvampyr

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: Summer, 07 Jun 2023 @049 » Toggle Font Embed

The way the colours match the background is really good. The borders are a nice touch too. It's a good amount of simplicity without being plain, I like it.

Code
img {
    padding-left: 150px;
    padding-right: 150px;
    display: block;
    margin: 5px auto 5px auto;
    width: 100%;
}

You don't need to add padding or use width 100%, since the image will automatically centre and scale down. The way it's set here is that the padding will take up the same amount of space, while the header image gets smaller.

If don't want your header image to take up the space to the sides in a smaller window, you can leave the width unset, and set the padding to the side to percentages.

Code
img {
    padding-left: 10%;
    padding-right: 10%;
    display: block;
    margin: 5px auto 5px auto;
}

Something like this.

Is there a reason why you went with h3 for the headers? Not that you need to change them. Just that it's the standard to use one h1 heading, then use h2 headings for sub headings for the h1 heading, and so on.

oh thank you i'll go fix that rn

also the reason i went with H3's is cause all the blog posts already kind of have a large header with the title of the post on it, and on the main page I kind of didnt have any use for anything bigger than h3 to denote the sections since the image takes up so much space and functions as a header already.

Logged

https://i.postimg.cc/tRFZrYmg/blinkies-Cafe-9u.gif https://i.postimg.cc/c4mKSPWy/blinkies-Cafe-ps.gif

Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe