Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @171.04 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  Mylo Style - my new fansite for the Sony Mylo

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mylo Style - my new fansite for the Sony Mylo  (Read 894 times)
Frost Sheridan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Dragon of the Digital Plane

StatusCafe: frostsheridan
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2022!
« on: June 08, 2023 @155.95 »

hey! i've recently started working on "Mylo Style", a new fansite about the Sony Mylo COM-2 portable internet access device! you can access it at http://mylo.cyberdragon.digital/.

back in 2008 before smartphones were totally ubiquitous, people still wanted the ability to access the web and chat on IM services while on the go, so Sony created a handheld gadget that sorta resembles a PSP Go that uses public wi-fi hotspots to get online.

it's a neat little guy, but sadly almost all information, software, and widgets for it have vanished from the web since it was discontinued (not even the internet archive was able to help much). the ability to program custom widgets for this device is a very interesting feature, but all development documentation has also been lost to time. i wasn't gonna give up that easily, so i managed to find a few widgets still available on the web and started to reverse engineer how they worked so that i could develop my own. all of my findings so far are documented on Mylo Style, along with all of those widgets and files that i've been able to find.

there are still a few pages left that i need to flesh out, like an "about" page with guides and tutorials on how to operate the Mylo's weirder features, a "links" page to the few still-existing mylo sites on the web, and some more widget features that i haven't fully reverse-engineered yet. i'll post here once i get those pages updated!

[ [ where delusions dwell . . . ] ]

drakonic
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Matrix: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Tiny Birthday DragonJoined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023 @554.06 »

Your main site introduced me to this little device - and I've been intrigued ever since! I'd love to get my hands on one, but I don't think that's gonna happen, realistically :ohdear:
Looking forward to updates!!

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023 @615.90 »

I LOVE that you've decided to make a fanpage for this little device! I also hadn't heard of it until today, but I'm fascinated by tech from this "transitional" era. There were so many ideas about how to incorporate the internet into every day life, but the infrastructure just wasn't there yet, so you see a ton of devices like this that were supposed to bridge the gap until better things came along. They were all so quickly forgotten once smartphones became a thing, and I think it's a bit of a shame. Some of them had some really innovative tech for their time given the limitations that they were working with. This seems like the sort of thing that LGR would cover in his Oddware series.

I hope you're able to find more info about it eventually. It'd be neat to have a full history of it!

Frost Sheridan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Dragon of the Digital Plane

StatusCafe: frostsheridan

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023 @751.11 »

great news - after searching the internet for almost a year now, i've finally come across the ever-elusive v1.200 firmware update, plus the widgets that were preinstalled on the US model of the Mylo! i've made these files available on the Downloads section of Mylo Style for anyone else out there who wants to get their Mylo up to date.

[ [ where delusions dwell . . . ] ]

night-at-the-musian
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rule 1: Throw the bone!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023 @943.88 »

WOW this archival project looks great!! I'd never heard of this device before today; your passion in preserving knowledge about this gadget is inspirational. Added to my RSS feed c:

Tiny Roman Appreciator

pistachio
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023 @946.62 »

this is incredible-- i love gadgets like this!!!!!!

nic / 21 / indiana, usa / poet, author, flip phone enthusiast
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023 @93.03 »

Is there like an emulator for the Mylo? It looks like fun to try and delve into devving for this!

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Sorcer
Casual Poster ⚓︎

:)

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023 @966.91 »

Looks awesome! I love that the name means "my life online."

It's a bit random, but the feel of the site reminds me a bit of the site for the PS Vita's Content Manager Assistant. Makes it feel like an official Sony site.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023 @970.07 by Sorcer » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 265
Views: 26533
Last post July 10, 2024 @965.09
by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Replies: 0
Views: 6056
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Replies: 2
Views: 3751
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi