Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @318.97 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 31/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Desktop Simulators (games like Hypnospace Outlaw)

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Desktop Simulators (games like Hypnospace Outlaw)  (Read 1763 times)
13BECC
Casual Poster

clowny clown cat :o)

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: 13BECC

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: June 13, 2023 @109.09 »

Desktop Simulators are exactly what they say on the tin, games that simulate computer desktops.

Of course, there's the classic Hypnospace Outlaw (and it's soon-to-be sequel), but there's plenty of other ones out there, like

GashiShachiNoSachi: Nauseatingly obscure, incredibly vague, and only has 1 English guide. The game is borderline labyrinthine with how the webpages expand out. Highly recommend.

Pony Island: While not strictly a Desktop Sim, some points in the game have you jumping through different user profiles and rummaging through files to find an unstable version of Pony Island. An absolute classic for youtube let's plays.

One Shot in the Dark, Now I'm Dead: Post-apocalyptic information gathering. It's better you go in blind.

What's your opinion on games like these? Love them? Despise them? Any other recommendations for good ones?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023 @722.86 by 13BECC » Logged

it's the end of the world!

wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!melonlands goth cat!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023 @140.68 »

One I played recently is like half desktop simulator, half surreal 3D levels, it's called Wrong Box. I thought it was really fun and I especially liked the 3D portions but I wish it was longer... Still I think the way it explores online spaces in a somewhat "abandoned" state and how time effected them is really interesting, since a lot of internet nostalgia stuff focuses on how it was back in the day when it was still alive. Like I said it's short but worth playing.

Also not quite on topic (it's not a desktop simulator but it is a game that uses the browser and the concept of link surfing as a tool/interface with which to play it) but I've been obsessed with Black Room over the past few days, especially after having spent some time reading the creator's commentary on the meanings behind it... I am taking any chance to recommend checking it out, it really resonated with me. It's longer though, make sure you have a nice evening to yourself to really immerse yourself in it... I guess it technically counts as a "simulator" (albeit through a distorted lens) since you're playing from the perspective of someone browsing their computer while slipping out of consciousness :P

I'll make sure to check out some of the games in the original post, they sound interesting :0

arcus
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: arcus
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023 @439.88 »

GachiSachiNoSachi: Nauseatingly obscure, incredibly vague, and only has 1 English guide. The game is borderline labyrinthine with how the webpages expand out. Highly recommend.

I tried this out after seeing this post. I finished it, and really enjoyed it. The puzzles were intuitive, though one is easier if you understand Japanese. I wouldn't call it labyrinthine though.

Spoilers
There's not many pages in the game, and halfway through the game shows you a branching map of all the sites.
[close]

kurohaato
Full Member ⚓︎

:D

StatusCafe: rinrinrin
iMood: kurohaato

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023 @619.55 »

I feel the Simulacra games and the Emily is Away games count as desktop simulators. Simulacra is a horror series about phones that make people disappear and it all takes place in a virtual phone os. I've played the demo/og concept Sarah is Missing and the spin-off Pipe Dreams and they're both pretty good. I've seen Let's Plays for the 3 main games too. I really liked 1 and 2 but I feel like the third game jumped the shark a little too much.  :ohdear:

On the other hand, Emily is Away is a visual novel series that takes place in AIM and later Facebook Messenger c. 2008. It's not really my thing but visual novels in general aren't my thing so that probably doesn't help.  :tongue:

Also I remember there used to be some "slacker" flash games that could fall under the desktop simulator category too. There were some work ones that had you do everything in a desktop and some others that had a little typing minigame that displayed a virtual phone.

01110110 01101001 01110110 01100001 00100000 01101100 01100001 00100000 01101111 01111010 01110111 01101111 01101101 01110000 00100001 00100000 00111010 01000100 :ozwomp:
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023 @640.47 »

I like games like these a lot! I am still on my first run of Hypnospace Outlaw, and looking forward to the announced second game for it. Also played Emily Is Away :smile:

I recently finished Secret Little Haven, which is also similar to Emily Is Away. You log into the OS, chat with people, browse sites on the computer, play around with software on the PC (a tamagotchi clone, a Doll Maker etc.) and can write your own fanfiction in the word processor. The story also features some puzzles and passwords to figure out, and you learn to use the terminal of the OS. Takes about 5 hours to play.

If you ever want something like this but for a phone environment, I also liked "A Normal Lost Phone". You exclusively browse the phone to figure out who this phone belongs to. Takes about 2-3 hours.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023 @684.94 »

GachiSachiNoSachi: Nauseatingly obscure, incredibly vague, and only has 1 English guide. The game is borderline labyrinthine with how the webpages expand out. Highly recommend.

I believe you that it is obscure.
Where to find it? :D

13BECC
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023 @695.57 »

I tried this out after seeing this post. I finished it, and really enjoyed it. The puzzles were intuitive, though one is easier if you understand Japanese. I wouldn't call it labyrinthine though.

Spoilers
There's not many pages in the game, and halfway through the game shows you a branching map of all the sites.
[close]

it probably just felt more labyrinthine to me because i was mapping webpages out by putting sticky notes on the wall behind me while i played  :eyes:

I believe you that it is obscure.
Where to find it? :D

it's free on steam last i checked

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023 @716.31 »

it's free on steam last i checked

Can't find it on steam
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=GachiSachiNoSach

neither on websearchengines. Am I missing smth?

13BECC
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023 @722.58 »

Can't find it on steam
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=GachiSachiNoSach

neither on websearchengines. Am I missing smth?

oops! entirely my fault, sorry. i misspelled the name. It's actually spelt "GashiShachiNoSachi" Here's the actual link to it

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023 @737.67 »

nvm ;)
Ty!

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2023 @820.30 »

My game actually tries to mimick Windows 3.1 on the website and the game's main menu.

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
grovyle

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2023 @119.70 »

I recently finished Secret Little Haven, which is also similar to Emily Is Away. You log into the OS, chat with people, browse sites on the computer, play around with software on the PC (a tamagotchi clone, a Doll Maker etc.) and can write your own fanfiction in the word processor. The story also features some puzzles and passwords to figure out, and you learn to use the terminal of the OS. Takes about 5 hours to play.

If you ever want something like this but for a phone environment, I also liked "A Normal Lost Phone". You exclusively browse the phone to figure out who this phone belongs to. Takes about 2-3 hours.

I was coming here to make this exact same post, basically haha
Secret little haven is SO beautiful, and will resonate a lot with people who found refuge in forums from the 2000s, I think. A normal lost phone is more modern so there's no technology nostalgia factor, but it's equally moving.
devils
Full Member ⚓︎

Oh? What's that?

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2023 @430.02 »

I'm glad Secret Little Haven was mentioned, it's one of my favorite games in the explore-a-computer-environment... genre. Is it a genre? I'd like it if it were.

Needy Streamer Overload is also in this «genre» though it functions more like a disturbing virtual care-taking/time management that just happens to be in a desktop environment. It's good, it feels like a fast-paced Tamagotchi, though I wouldn't recommend it to everyone as the subjects it covers are rather violent and off-putting. It's certainly not a game for all ages, ahah.

BTW, Slayers X came out recently and, despite being a FPS, it contains a lot of the humor present in Hypnospace (as you'd expect, it is a spin-off). It's super fun too!

Remember to eat dessert <3
lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2023 @475.30 »

i remember having obsession with windows flash parodies

wris
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Safe when used as directed.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2023 @504.56 »

Hacking classic Uplink. I used to be obsessed with this game!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

the era of rpgmaker games

Started by cinniBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 27
Views: 4602
Last post August 16, 2023 @267.22
by Riqo
newgrounds' art games section

Started by DarmodejBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 0
Views: 1419
Last post February 03, 2022 @906.33
by Darmodej
I'm addicted to sandbox games

Started by Icey!Board ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 6
Views: 1819
Last post February 22, 2023 @523.34
by Memory

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi