Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @166.70 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Forum Let's Plays

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Forum Let's Plays  (Read 877 times)
DoctorDizzy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

I will become the god of this new world!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: doctordizzy
iMood: DoctorDizzyspin

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: July 23, 2023 @804.41 »

Anyone else remember let's plays on forums? The Let's Play Archive has a lot of archives of them, most being from the Something Awful forms. :ok:

I'm a text > video person, and I kind of prefer these to video let's plays?? Less talking and more reading, you know?? I've kinda been wanting to do one of these, but I also don't really want to accidentally break any rules on either forum I'd wanna do this in. (GBATemp and here being those forums.) :drat:

Do you guys remember these? Do you prefer them over their video counterparts? How would you guys do something similar on a personal website? :omg:

I am lightning... The rain transformed!
Memory
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023 @911.23 »

I had no idea these were a thing!
Grimlock
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Harley | He/they |

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: dinosaur
iMood: Grimlock

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023 @930.03 »

i've always heard about forum lets plays but i'd never check them out. i'd hear stuff about the somethingawful (if i'm remembering right) danganronpa one where people paid for ads that spoiled people on the plot lol. i definitely prefer video lets plays for the background noise at least and experiencing games i wouldn't play otherwise in a visual way is nice

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023 @965.22 »

I kind of find the site a bit hard to navigate for some reason, so I don't really understand what they are. Is it like liveblogging when you play a game? I know something like that from Tumblr.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
bugholder's epiphany
Full Member ⚓︎

why do they call it oven

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023 @62.63 »

I kind of find the site a bit hard to navigate for some reason, so I don't really understand what they are. Is it like liveblogging when you play a game? I know something like that from Tumblr.

Pretty much. Sometimes its like reading a nice lil' text walkthrough of a video game with funny comments and jokes peppering it. They're pretty good and can be pretty fun reads!

One of my favorites has to be the Dwarf Fortress play-through that brought us Boatmurdered
Yukari
Casual Poster ⚓︎

RISK IT for the BISCUIT

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023 @233.65 »

First time I experienced The World Ends With You and Dangan Ronpa was via forum let’s plays!

I’m doing something like this for my Umineko playthrough, but I’ve been calling it a ‘liveblog’. Here it is for reference. I don't really summarize the game... it's more like, "here are scenes that stood out to me, and here's how I personally connected to them".

BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023 @515.13 »

I also experienced the first Danganronpa through a text Let's Play, and I gotta say that it's still one of my favourite experiences. It was just so convenient to read on my phone in bed.

There's another Let's Play that I've been meaning to check out for a long time, but it was paywalled for a long time: Machi. Unfortunately, I now see that the LP was never finished. :sad:
KittyTheKat
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Any/All and Agender

iMood: KittyTheKat

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023 @962.79 »

I played Myst for the first time today, and it made me think of doing a post or two about it in the style of a forum LP on my site  :dunno:

There's another Let's Play that I've been meaning to check out for a long time, but it was paywalled for a long time: Machi.

This looks really cool! I've heard only a bit about sound novels like that, but I'd really like to play one sometime. I like visual novels like Zero Escape and Persona so I think I'd enjoy it.

"Hell is other people. But that’s only that side of the coin. The other side, which no one seems to mention, is also “Heaven is each other.” … Hell is separateness, uncommunicability, self-centeredness, lust for power, for riches, for fame. Heaven, on the other hand, is very simple—and very hard: caring about your fellow beings." -Jean-Paul Sartre
BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023 @512.69 »

This looks really cool! I've heard only a bit about sound novels like that, but I'd really like to play one sometime. I like visual novels like Zero Escape and Persona so I think I'd enjoy it.

If you haven't yet, definitely try 428: Shibuya Scramble. It is a spiritual successor to the sound novel genre, and it's in English.
bugholder's epiphany
Full Member ⚓︎

why do they call it oven

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2023 @869.18 »

Looked through my bookmarks and found three lets plays I enjoyed and had read in the past. They range from being rather informative to being silly to being like writing the game as if it were a text story or something.

https://lparchive.org/Mega-Man-X-Command-Mission/
https://lparchive.org/Sims-3/
https://lparchive.org/Grand-Theft-Auto-San-Andreas-(Screenshot)/
gub
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2023 @581.20 »

It's not necessarily a forum Let's Play but this Sims playthrough/soap opera is one of my favorite video gameplay reads of all time. I still go back to it all the time to read through because it has some really dry comedy. It's central enough to my personality that I reference it without thinking all the time in day-to-day life.

I remember reading a few others back in the day. The Sims is one of the few communities that still seems to do text-based Let's Play, but most people do a lot of editing/dressing up screenshots as a story medium as opposed to straight gameplay for a linear game. I know of a handful of dreamwidth users that do Elder Scrolls games post-by-post style still. I also prefer text as the medium for gameplay and tutorials, especially the old-time IGN text guides for old games that are full of misinformation and usually unfinished :P

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 265
Views: 26533
Last post July 10, 2024 @965.09
by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Replies: 0
Views: 6056
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Replies: 2
Views: 3751
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi