Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @365.38 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 32/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  I want to make a "Web Revival 101" zine!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I want to make a "Web Revival 101" zine!  (Read 1481 times)
OneMillionFurries
Full Member ⚓︎

Gettin silly with it

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!:0 its one million furriesFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: July 26, 2023 @73.91 »

I'm thinking of trying to make a "Web Revival 101" zine! Something that I can print out and give out to people, yknow? I'm thinking it'll be one of those single-page cut-and-fold zines that people make.

My only issue is that I'm worried that I will either have too much info to give and not enough space, or not enough info and too much space. That latter problem isn't too bad, since I can just fill in the space with drawings or something. But the former is a problem, especially since I tend to be too verbose and write a LOT. It's really hard for me to condense a lot of info down into just the bare minimum of what you need.

What would you guys say should be the main topics I include in this zine? There are 8 small pages total for this style of zine, 6 if you don't count the front and back cover. I'm thinking of maybe including 2 pages each dedicated to "What is Web Revival", "Why make your own site", and "How to surf the web"? May need more pages per topic, may need less. I don't know, guess we'll see!

Again, any input would be fantastic! Ty in advance :D

Bede
Full Member ⚓︎

Your friendly neighborhood boygirl!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: azure
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023 @323.62 »

I think that "why make your own site" could maybe also include, "how to make your own site"? Like, with some pointers on where on the 'net to search for HTML help, or maybe talk about what you could include on a personal site. Other than that, I think the selected topics sound great!

CELEBRATE THE REJECTS, EVISCERATE THE PRESETS ⋆。˚

glitterpigeon
Jr. Member ⚓︎

And there's a blue like where the urban angels go

iMood: glitterpigeon

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023 @393.59 »

my general strategy for not writing too many words is to write the long thing first and then cut it down a lot until it is better. then I get all the thoughts out and organized and I feel more satisfied, instead of when I just try to get things right on the first try.

some sort of bibliography/further reading section could be nice, and means you don't have to stress as much about not including enough, but you still give people lots of info.

and if you need a filler drawing, a think I like to do in all my zines is make a "goodbye" page on the back cover with a drawing of a creature or object related to the topic saying "goodbye!" or "see you later!" or something like that to the reader!

pigeons will save the world!!!
Bugless
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023 @507.00 »

Hi @OneMillionFurries I was wondering if you ended up making this zine? I would love to see it :)

PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023 @121.69 »

This sounds really cool! If you ever make it, would you mind scanning it for all us Netizens to see? I know I'd be really interested!

"...And we are not angels, to be comforted by seeing the means for which everything is sent."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters

OneMillionFurries
Full Member ⚓︎

Gettin silly with it

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023 @731.88 »

Hi @OneMillionFurries I was wondering if you ended up making this zine? I would love to see it :)
Not yet! im not much of a writer and i have ADHD so actually sitting down to write is EXTREMELY difficult for me. BUT i still really want to make it someday.

This sounds really cool! If you ever make it, would you mind scanning it for all us Netizens to see? I know I'd be really interested!
it would be made digitally so no scanning needed!

Thorn
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2023 @872.67 »

Maybe you could include a list of hosting platforms or methods and their pros and cons, such as how much the paid version of different hosting platforms costs and what sort of storage space and permissible file types one can get out of different platforms.

OwO Like a scientist
UwU like a punk
>w< like an anarchist
CableCat
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Man I Love Frogs!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Worm!Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023 @177.35 »

Oooooh, I had made one! But I had converted the Yesterweb website's info into a zine, so 100% the materials and text were not mine. I just converted it into a different format using GIMP and printed a few copies to hide around my local library. There's a copy of it on my site here: https://cablecatscozyroom.neocities.org/library (Keep in mind, the zine I formatted is not up to date with more recent changes to the Yesterweb site.)

I think resources for hosting a site and learning HTML would be important to add to your Zine.

I also think maybe a nostalgia call to pixel and GIF artists, would be good. I would suggest definitely using statement typefaces and graphics! Things that will get people's attention. Also if you have your own Neocities site, maybe make a page with more information that you can direct people to from the Zine! With other zines I have made, I have used QR-code generators and then transfered the QR-code onto the Zine page, that way the person holding the zine can get the link with their phone! It is not time period accurate with the idea of web revival, but you could have a phone responsive basic info-dump page, and have a big note on it that says something like "CHECK OUT THE REST OF THE SITE ON A DESKTOP PC AND HOST YOUR OWN SITE!"

"Sharing Tea With A Fascinating Stranger Is One Of Life’s True Delights."

~Uncle Iroh

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅☽〇☾⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
  *Help Me Hatch my Dragon Eggs!*
      Give 'em a click, plz!
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

SquidDied
Casual Poster

StatusCafe: squiddied
iMood: Squid_Died

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2023 @464.16 »

@465.25

Seeing a single zine like this would be cool as hell, but if you have too much info for just a one off, perhaps you could make a small series? You could have a number of issues focused on a few different but related topics for example:

• A few basic HTML/CSS/Java concepts and/or examples of how they can be used in interesting ways, it could be formatted as like a fun "top ten tags" or you could pretend to "interview" them
  • A small easy coding challenge for readers to try
  • Resources for helping people get into making their own sites
  • Some kind of love letter to some small aspects of the old web you enjoy and would like to see revived if possible and/or some history about them, for example:
    • buttons/stamps
    • ASCII/ANSI art
    • Creepypastas
    • Webrings and Link pages
    • etc.
  • An article about a particular site (active today or otherwise) that you felt keeps the spirit of the old web alive
  • Friendly reviews of some people's Neocities sites (probably get the webmaster's permission first for this one)
  • Short interviews with webmasters you think are cool about their sites or opinions about web revival

If you dont want to get into making a series thats cool too, i hope my suggestions help either way haha. Good luck making your zine!

Y2KStardust
Jr. Member ⚓︎

ooh, what does this button do??

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023 @52.59 »

If anyone ends up making Zines like this, please let me know! I'd love to link to them on my site, and I do know a few places where you can leave free zines in my area :D

OneMillionFurries
Full Member ⚓︎

Gettin silly with it

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2024 @272.26 »

@465.25

Seeing a single zine like this would be cool as hell, but if you have too much info for just a one off, perhaps you could make a small series? You could have a number of issues focused on a few different but related topics for example:

• A few basic HTML/CSS/Java concepts and/or examples of how they can be used in interesting ways, it could be formatted as like a fun "top ten tags" or you could pretend to "interview" them
  • A small easy coding challenge for readers to try
  • Resources for helping people get into making their own sites
  • Some kind of love letter to some small aspects of the old web you enjoy and would like to see revived if possible and/or some history about them, for example:
    • buttons/stamps
    • ASCII/ANSI art
    • Creepypastas
    • Webrings and Link pages
    • etc.
  • An article about a particular site (active today or otherwise) that you felt keeps the spirit of the old web alive
  • Friendly reviews of some people's Neocities sites (probably get the webmaster's permission first for this one)
  • Short interviews with webmasters you think are cool about their sites or opinions about web revival

If you dont want to get into making a series thats cool too, i hope my suggestions help either way haha. Good luck making your zine!

Ooh, I'm REALLY liking these suggestions! Especially the reviews idea! Even the interviews sound fun too! I actually started a "How to Surf the Internet" zine a month or so ago, but I may try to do a few of these suggestions too :eyes:

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

chiptune maker!

Started by cinniBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 6
Views: 2400
Last post March 08, 2023 @308.04
by Gans
Yesterweb Zine - Issue 02 - Websites as an Act of Creativity - OUT NOW!!

Started by sadnessBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 4
Views: 1736
Last post April 27, 2022 @745.66
by Dojidave
An enemy from the game I'm trying to make

Started by Grafo VolaveruntBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 3
Views: 1581
Last post March 22, 2022 @61.42
by Grafo Volaverunt

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi