Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @227.41 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  ✑ ∙ Writing & Stationery
| | | |-+  Is it fanfiction without an existing cast and setting?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Is it fanfiction without an existing cast and setting?  (Read 613 times)
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« on: July 27, 2023 @911.54 »

I was going to blog about this, but I thought it might be a worthwhile forum topic instead. What do you call work that doesn't use the cast and setting of an existing work, but was inspired by that work and heavily influenced by it? Is it still fanfiction, or just pastiche?

Necrosia
Full Member ⚓︎

Lord of the Labyrinth

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Welcome Soup!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023 @916.91 »

Even if it's dull or repetitive I would still call it an original work, in the end nothing is new under the sun and a lot of histories share similar concepts, its foolish to think that one can create something 100% original.

As an example, I love Tolkien's writings but it hardly has any ground-breaking and innovative concepts but it still is an excellent body of work. The same concept and plot can be presented in many different forms and narratives.

Bede
Full Member ⚓︎

Your friendly neighborhood boygirl!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: azure
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023 @954.92 »

I would just call that "regular art". Nothing in all of artistic history is original, after all! For example, my OCs' story is inspired by a lot of things (Good Omens, Nomnomnami's visual novels, Pinky and Pepper Forever, etc) but it's still my own.

I think that if there is an active effort to copy or imitate a singular work, then 'pastiche' would be a good word for it, though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023 @956.72 by Bede » Logged

CELEBRATE THE REJECTS, EVISCERATE THE PRESETS ⋆。˚

grovyle

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023 @16.44 »

Yeah same, I don't know what I'd call it but I'd consider it original fiction. If it's close enough to the source it can be a retelling (think sticking with the themes and story for the most part, and overall having one of your characters as a stand-in for one of its characters), but I don't think that's what you're talking about. But yeah nothing original exists anywhere and that's good and I love disecting stories when I know what inspired them because you can see the threads tying the two together and that's SO satisfying.
strawberry
Newbie ⚓︎

❥ doin my best!

StatusCafe: strawberry

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023 @196.90 »

i love this question. it's very much so a "grandfathers axe" thing to me - if you had your grandfathers ax, replaced the head of the axe, and then eventually replace the handle of the axe, is it still your grandfathers ax? if you remove the original inspiration and change around the settings and characters, is it still a fanfiction? i never read it so i don't know how accurate this is, but i remember hearing that 50 Shades of Grey series was originally a twilight fanfiction that the author published using different names.

I love disecting stories when I know what inspired them because you can see the threads tying the two together and that's SO satisfying.

oh my god, isn't it just the best? it's so beautiful to piece everything together and see the expansion of art that happens when two or more ideas and inspirations combine! that's what art is all about to me, the creations that happen when someone is inspired by another's creation. it never ends, and it's so beautiful!

just happy to be here ♥˖⁺‧₊˚✦
bugholder's epiphany
Full Member ⚓︎

why do they call it oven

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023 @220.24 »

I dunno if you'd call it fanfiction, but I can see it at minimum being considered a tribute, at most being considered a work heavily inspired by the love of the original thing. (Guess that's just a Pastiche with extra steps lol but anyway)

There's a post i recall seeing on cohost talking about House Of Leaves and myhouse.wad, the latter of which was heavily inspired by the former. I think that's relevant here, methinks:
https://cohost.org/highimpactsex/post/1610077-preliminary-thoughts
Memory
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023 @524.18 »

It's not fanfiction, it's just an original piece of writing inspired by something else.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

HELP: troubles in implementing iframe to my existing layout

Started by morrysillusionBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 8
Views: 2052
Last post June 07, 2022 @522.55
by Melooon
A cool avatar site (andypants.net)

Started by SilkSkullBoard ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials

Replies: 17
Views: 2303
Last post April 01, 2023 @105.91
by SilkSkull
Hosting a website on an Android phone

Started by shevekBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 4
Views: 877
Last post August 03, 2023 @703.92
by shevek

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi