Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @212.63 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  What is your workflow?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What is your workflow?  (Read 918 times)
strongbad
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« on: December 28, 2023 @942.67 »

My website uses html, css, and javascript. I host it on github pages, so I use VScode source control to ship productions. I'm using three.js, so I'm also using Vite to develop and build the app when I'm ready for production. Every time I want to ship it, I have to copy all of the files in my git branch that I'm working in, paste them into a temporary folder, and then copy them again, change the branch to the main production branch, and replace all of the files in that branch with the new files. This is pretty clunky, I know, but I was encountering problems with git subtree push so I can't push the contents of a subdirectory to my main branch directly. I've been pretty happy with github pages, considering it's free. Also every time I ship the app I have to delete the node modules folder because for some reason, even though i have it in the .gitignore file, it copies to my main production branch.

What does your workflow look like? I'm extremely curious to learn!

wetnoodle
Full Member ⚓︎

a silly lil goose

View Profile WWW

LifeParticipated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023 @12.53 »

I use neocities and basically just live test and update everything through their online editor :ok:

brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

RocketmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023 @42.60 »

That does seem a bit clunky, but if it works, then it's good.

What I so is write the pages on my laptop then use SFTP to copy the files to my server.

I've got experience with Content Management Systems (CMS) such as WordPress and Drupal. How those worked was that you could write and edit the pages but they were not made public until they were published. CMSs can be limiting but they can keep the edit history of a page going back years and the state of the page at any point in time can be edited and republished.
j
Full Member ⚓︎

bleh bleh *gargle gargle*

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023 @61.13 »

i had a friend who used to swear by git to revert to backups in case of emergency. i like your workflow, @strongbad, because it's a lot like how i used to do things when writing code straight onto a machine, just without the git!

for my site: i write code on paper, debug everything mentally, and then digitize. i guess i'm used to doing this because this is how i program more generally.
strongbad
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023 @77.42 »

CMSs can be limiting but they can keep the edit history of a page going back years and the state of the page at any point in time can be edited and republished.

Git is a really good way to keep track of your version history!

strongbad
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023 @77.92 »

for my site: i write code on paper, debug everything mentally, and then digitize. i guess i'm used to doing this because this is how i program more generally.

oh wow! that is impressive

wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!melonlands goth cat!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023 @136.45 »

My workflow for larger site projects is like this-

I come up with the basic concept for what I want to add. I write a small summary of things I want to include, like pages or specific functions or visuals. I then write smaller summaries for each page sort of like outlining an essay. I narrow down and continue iterating on this until I have a strong mental image of what will be included.

I then make precise lists of specific graphics or assets I need to make and begin sketching out the visual stuff, especially for graphics-heavy stuff like the snowman maker I had on my christmas page or all the various graphics for one of my shrines. Like, "make six animated horse sprites that fit in the interactive stable, make 14 trading cards, etc." Around this time I start working on the text content. I may also test certain code stuff to make sure I can get it all up and running.

Once I'm satisfied with all the graphical and writing stuff I begin programming the layout and creating the pages for real.

alexela64
Full Member ⚓︎

i <3 tadashi

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023 @219.86 »

yalls workflows are honestly so impressive...

Since the only coding i do is html/css, mine is pretty simple.

i sketch out an idea of what i want the site to look like, labeling functions/animations/etc

then i put it all together in vscode and upload to neocities when im done :ha:

Eventually I'll figure out where to host another site, but i'm only working on one atm.
edit: this was the sketch for my "about" page

mostlypixels
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2023 @363.45 »

Design wise: I have a very rough concept in my head, and move things around in HTML/CSS and a graphics editor until it "clicks".

Code wise: I've been learning to use Jekyll (static site generator) for my projects. It's, uh, not exactly what I'm used to programming wise, but I've never let a templating system prevent me from writing spaghetti code before and I'm not about to start.

I use git branches for unfinished content, so nothing makes it to neocities until it's done (or I need to show a friend).

The ideal workflow would be "code in PhpStorm, use the Neocities CLI to push to prod, cross-check on desktop and mobile."

The actual flow is more like:

• Code in phpstorm
  • Build static site
  • Forget to log out from the neocities CLI
  • Upload site to the wrong neocities user, entirely replacing site A by site B
  • Scream
  • Push site A to site A
  • Push site B to site B
  • Do it all over again the next day

Don't be me. :cheesy:

Tools include: Phpstorm, Neocities CLI, aseprite, Photoshop, Caesium Image Compressor, and git.
Karin
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024 @692.81 »

I'm currently using Laragon for my local server environment, at work I use MAMP and Docker. Code is written in VS Code.

I also use git for version control. I try to commit OFTEN and make sure it's well commented because if I don't I'll 100% either lose work or start meandering and forget what I'm doing. My brain is not to be trusted to keep track of things on its own :ohdear:

When I want to publish on the internet I upload the relevant files via SFTP to my hosting provider. At work we have our own nifty tool to push the master branch of our git repository to the live server.

Rowan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Silly Miltank

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2024 @744.04 »

I started making a new website, but I got interrupted by another coding project that I've been allocating all my coding motivation towards :tongue: but before that, I learned that Emacs let me easily connect to ssh servers! Which is great, cause I use Emacs for everything. Emacs is even my window manager:ha:
But yeah! It's cozy, I get to open my website to edit by opening dired to my VPS's url. Sometimes I use a sidebar tree to make things a bit more convenient.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024 @745.67 by River » Logged

Quote from: melooon
you: Hello fridge, I would like the milk please :cheesy:
fridge: Ooo u look so pretty, lemmy order more onions from Amazon
you: wait no! :drat:
fridge: i love you so much i ordered onions!

CATBYTE
Casual Poster ⚓︎

cat’s out of the bag!

iMood: catbyte
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2024 @932.09 »

before i work on any new pages i usually make a rough draft in paint to block out the important parts then i do everything in the neocities IDE! (if im using original assets, they're are made in aseprite typically)
for version control i just use neocities backups for every major change. they're currently backed up on physical storage as well as onedrive.

i'm working towards eventually switching to more efficient solutions in the future. however, since the scope of my work right now is pretty elementary and barebones i'm not awfully concerned at the moment.

they/them
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2024 @544.49 »

What does your workflow look like? I'm extremely curious to learn!

Just using Emacs with Web Mode to build a website instead of using VS Code like the "cool kids".

(Emacs with two panels. Left panel has the plain text for the front page of actualwebsite.org. Right panel has the raw HTML.)

I'm using ".htm" as an extension for raw HTML files. The files that get uploaded end in ".html" after getting processed via make with a shellscript that runs hxinclude, hxtoc, tidy, and sed. Everything gets uploaded with rsync.

My repository's on SourceHut, and Nearly Free Speech is my host.

"hxinclude" and "hxtoc" are part of the W3C's HTML-XML-Utils package. The first gives you functionality similar to Apache's server-side includes on localhost. The second will automatically generate a table of contents for a given HTML file. If you're on macOS, BSD, or GNU/Linux you can install these with your package mangler.

None of this node with over 9,000 npm packages foolishness. I don't get paid enough for that shit.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!

Replies: 39
Views: 4560
Last post July 26, 2024 @631.31
by spiralstaircase
Whats the best thing you've ever bought?

Started by JackFrostBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 17
Views: 1860
Last post August 30, 2023 @895.19
by Scootarooni
Whats you're favourite type of filing cabinet handle?

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 10
Views: 812
Last post June 15, 2023 @116.72
by grovyle

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi