Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 28, 2024 - @306.96 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 66/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  IBM Equal Access Accessibility Checker - Opinions/experiences?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IBM Equal Access Accessibility Checker - Opinions/experiences?  (Read 172 times)
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: February 18, 2024 @961.74 »

There is a Firefox Add-On available to check for problems regarding the accessibility of a website, called the IBM Accessibility-Checker.

When I did a little project a while back I tried to use it to make the whole thing accessible (at least I hope so, I'm yet to get feedback about it :). My main page got some violations; reddit and github got many, this board here has over 80 violations. Are people around who know about accessibility for visually impaired people? Do you attempt to make your page accessible? What do you think about this tool for automatic checking - do you think it is sufficient to assume that a page that got no violations is usually usable for people who use a screen-reader (or similar devices), or do you think this is to imprecise? How serious are those "violations" - are they sure or likely to break the usability for impaired visitors, or are they usually rather nuisances? And what are your impressions about the development of the accessibility of websites in general?

varve
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024 @993.32 »

I think turning off CSS and image loading, and trying to use only a keyboard to navigate your site will show you a *lot* of the accessibility problems that a screen reader user might encounter. Because that's basically what they're doing, but with the text you see being read aloud to them.

(I'm told it also prefaces the element types with their name, so for example an image alt text starting with "image of" will be spoken as "image: image of", and buttons and links likewise are introduced. The screenreader-using folks I've talked to said for image descriptions, don't say what kind of image it is unless that's actually relevant, for example it's a painting or sketch, and if it's a functional or informative image focus the alt text on that instead of on what it looks like.)

I'm not surprised this site got loads of accessibility violations though.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Accessible Net!!

Started by pinkvampyrBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 11
Views: 789
Last post September 22, 2023 @916.25
by pinkvampyr
how do you feel about website access?

Started by jBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 7
Views: 703
Last post March 07, 2024 @467.00
by j
Web Revival and Accessibility

Started by DJoftheCovenBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 4
Views: 873
Last post August 24, 2022 @82.63
by DJoftheCoven

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi