Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 30, 2024 - @816.30 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 80/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Drivers ED

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Drivers ED  (Read 563 times)
SilentHope33

The current Hokage

iMood: optimistic

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« on: February 21, 2024 @15.37 »

So recently, I've been taking drivers Education and it's been pretty hard so I wanted to pick some of your guy's brain of drivers ED or driving in general. What is the best thing about driving, what's the worst thing about driving and what's one thing you think you can improve on your driving skills?

"If Miracles Only Happen Once What Are They Called The Second Time?" - Ichigo Kurosaki
tertiaryapocalypse
Casual Poster ⚓︎

travelling through space at a very high speed

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: tertiaryapocalypse

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024 @113.19 »

personally i think driving affords me a lot of freedom! i still live with my parents, but when i can drive somewhere (typically school) it's a nice time that's really truly to myself. it's also a really good opportunity to listen to music ever-so-slightly more attentively than i usually do. i live in a big city & it's REALLY difficult to find parking, though, especially since i commute to our downtown area. side streets are always a good bet though, as long as you're allowed to park there.

i did drivers ed as a minor & it was pretty much the worst, and i think it's even more difficult over 18? at least in the states. the course i took was really unengaging. that being said, a lot of the technical aspects that i remember learning about (tire changes, sort of the 'anatomy' of the car) aren't things i was quizzed on & can be found online! so if there's anywhere to pay less attention to, it might be there. one thing that you definitely do want to remember is the exact blood alcohol percentages. i'm not sure if this'll apply for you, since driving laws/the process to attain a license differ from place to place, but just my two cents!

a button for the site tertiaryapocalypse, which reads 'visit mars' in all caps and below it reads the site name.a button reading long gone legends in black and white with an eye icon with a star pupil
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024 @414.39 »

Even if it's just for driving the moving van every two years, it's still useful to have a driving license. That piece of paper still translates to independence. It's also a good trump card in business.

How to not get rusty... have no fear to get behind the wheel, when an opportunity arises.
How to have an easier start... practise the basics in a real car before having the first driving lesson. On an empty parking lot or at the countryside with friends / family.

Car companies annoy me. Too big, too powerful, as always. No Linux-like car with no-nonsense in sight. A non-rusting Citroen 2CV or a Trabant with a non-stinking engine, I hope to see those in production one day. Until then, driving cars regularly doesn't seem to be worth it (too expensive).

My driving instructor was a former armyman, certainly used to tougher situations than the average person. After a little mistake in an alley of trees (out of town), he told me:
"Look, that was your tree. Now you're dead."

That certainly helped to take driving serious.
alexela64
Full Member ⚓︎

NEW PLASTIC TREE 5.29 !!!!1!!!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024 @892.42 »

Best thing about driving is the freedom of going where you want, when you want to. I grew up in a pretty rural area, so it was incredibly freeing to not have to rely on my parents for transportation once i got my license.

Worst thing about driving is city driving IMO. I hate car-centric infrastructure, especially in places with a lot of pedestrian traffic. Not only does it put people in danger, but it causes a lot of stress to the driver.

If i have to go to a heavily populated area for something, I'd choose public transport over driving, in all scenarios except one: if i'm traveling alone during the night (doesn't happen often but sadly driving is safer in that scenario. i try to avoid it like the plague because i hate it so much)

I wouldn't really say there's much i could improve on. I was taught to drive by a bonafide mechanic and picked up on it pretty quickly, plus I have had a LOT of practice. (not trying to brag, it speaks more to his skills than mine lmao)

If you're learning to drive, I would say the best advice is to just pay attention to everything you see on your windshield, not just the road. You never know when some idiot will do something idiotic lol  :drat:

Swiftpaw

it/its

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024 @687.96 »

I took Driver's Ed but as soon as I realized it was an option, I got an electric bike instead as an alternative to a car. I hated Driver's Ed and in retrospect it might have triggered a lot my harm OCD (I get they wanted to scare idiotic teenagers into not hitting pedestrians or getting into a wreck, but I'd get extreme violent intrusive thoughts about that happening every time I went driving).

The downside is I live in a place with some of the worst drivers in the country and have near misses almost every time I go out whether biking or walking. It's made me fairly bitter towards cars and car based infrastructure. I still love both biking and walking and feel like it makes me enjoy going out more.

BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024 @810.88 »

Best thing about driving is accessibility, and it can be fun when the roads aren't challenging. Worst thing about driving is all the stress that comes with it. Watching out for others, shitty weather conditions, making sure you don't accidentally ruin your car, parallel parking. Oh, and it exhausts my bad knee. I had real bad anxiety while learning to drive and I was shocked when I passed at my first exam. :ohdear: 

That said, not learning how to drive was not an option. I built it up by taking two-minute drives to the local gym just to get used to the whole thing. Now I am at a point where I don't mind driving a car (until I have to find parking), but for most destinations I prefer taking public transport even if it can be less convenient at times.
SilentHope33

The current Hokage

iMood: optimistic

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024 @230.03 »

Totally, I'm still learning how to drive and its been fun!! But it's also hard too.

"If Miracles Only Happen Once What Are They Called The Second Time?" - Ichigo Kurosaki
bingus_baby
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Baby of the bingus...

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024 @629.02 »

Driving is an invaluable skill to have. Everyone will have to drive a car at some point, and having an ID is also important to have. (For travel, work, etc.) Better to get a license than a normal ID. Two birds with one stone if you ask me. At least in the US. If you’re going to the DMV, make it worth it. That place is a nightmare.

Driving tips, checking every mirror is hard at first since it’s a lot to keep track of, but it gets easier with time. Don’t adjust them while driving. It’s safer to wait for a stoplight.

When I started I really wanted to have one foot on each pedal, this is BAD. It also gets easier with time, but don’t do it. It’s bad for the car!

When in doubt, be too careful rather than too risky. Almost every day I almost get hit by someone trying to worm into traffic rather than waiting for a safe break in the road. If you want to turn and the cars keep on coming, it’s better to wait than to assume someone will let you in.

If you can’t see the bumper on the car in front of you, you are too close. No exceptions. Give them some space. On a related note, don’t tailgate. In most places it’s a crime, plus it pisses everyone off. Don’t do it.

If you aren’t over the speed limit, stay out of the left lane. (If you are in the US.) People will be rude to you, and this ruins the flow of traffic. (Unless you need to turn left soon, then it’s okay.)

If you are stopped in the middle of the road or think something may be wrong with your car, hazard lights on, get in the right lane if applicable. This blinks the blinkers and lets other cars know that something is wrong and to go around you. If the car is feeling sick, I’m sure it’ll want a bit of space until it feels better.

Lastly, car washes have free vacuums. (At least where I live!) So if your carpets get dirty, you can get your car washed, inside and out!! And some places have free coffee which is cool. It’s not good, but it’s free. If you get a car, or even just drive someone else’s, maintenance is important. A clean car is a happy car. Mine is old and nasty, but you bet I take care of it. If it dies tomorrow, it’ll die happy. And for repairs, local shops are generally a better choice, but it’s ultimately up to reviews online. Older, established places are best as they’re usually run by seasoned mechanics. Pep Boys is fine, but might not have the best quality fixes and end up costing more in the long run.

I could go on, but Melon might establish a word limit if I don’t shut up soon. I wish you luck, and hope I helped a bit.

nintendowii99
Casual Poster

StatusCafe: @pawprints

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2024 @162.05 »

The best thing about driving is the freedom that comes with it, as everyone else has said. As an adult who never learned to drive (I grew up on a tiny island...it just wasn't necessary), there's a lot of things in life that I am restricted by. Jobs have to be within walking/transit distance, grocery shopping is more difficult, you can never really just "get out of town." Nowadays though, my wife has her car so I don't really have those issues. I want to learn to drive, it's just difficult to make time for as an adult.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi