Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @317.99 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 31/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  123guestbook is shutting down! alas! + alternatives

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 123guestbook is shutting down! alas! + alternatives  (Read 2534 times)
xixxii
Jr. Member ⚓︎

they/them

View Profile WWW

the xixxiiJoined 2024!
« on: May 05, 2024 @202.20 »

here's their announcement. sad! they've been around for a long time & i know a lot of people on neocities use 123guestbook for their guestbooks.

time to start looking into alternatives - i would love to know what folks are using besides this. what's good in the guestbook scene?

BlackMageGaming
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!Black Mage HatJoined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2024 @210.98 »

Noooo!!!! I loved the customization it brought with it!

Oh well, I'll have to get a replacement very soon then, and port over my current signings. That's a real shame! This sucks for any webpage that is using it but isn't being worked on. :sad:

"The joy of living far outweighs the fear of death."
~ Black Mage #288

wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!melonlands goth cat!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024 @215.53 »

This is horrible! So many people used it.

I may make a small archive page for the many kind messages I received, to replace my guestbook page once it goes down.

Very disheartening to hear.  :sad:

Grimlock
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Harley | He/they |

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: dinosaur
iMood: Grimlock

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024 @270.10 »

i'm currently using this one which i believe doesn't work on new sites with free neocities plans.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024 @477.69 »

Holy heck, I was just looking through their tour page and they say they have over 200,000 guestbooks  :ohdear: This is a very serious loss  :notgood:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Skykristal
Full Member ⚓︎

I may be dead but I am here

StatusCafe: skykristal
iMood: Skykristal

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2024 @546.92 »

Yes that's so sad. I saw it on status.cafe yesterday and looked up the news post. From what I can tell there is no mentioned reason as to why it is shutting down??

Very unfortunate, since this is one of the most used guestbook services, especially on neocities.

I started my site with the smartbg thankfully. It has ads, but it's no problem with an ad Blocker, which I use anyway.
https://www.smartgb.com/

Read My Blog ⋆。°✩ Punch my OCs  ⋆。°✩ View my Gallery
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2024 @563.98 »

From what I can tell there is no mentioned reason as to why it is shutting down??

I have no idea, maybe hosting costs?

Skykristal
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2024 @569.72 »

I have no idea, maybe hosting costs?

Yeah that was my first thought too.. maybe it became unaffordable now. But also ( and I am no expert here) , it's set to read-only then, so it means it will still be up.. right? So idk if is makes sense. Since it will still host the content.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2024 @578.33 »

It's only going read-only for a month before it goes offline for good I think  :ohdear:

This is pure speculation but I'm noting it for historical context! Hosting costs are currently cheaper than they have ever been in history, but I suspect ad revenue (123 is ad-supported) is also way down. 3rd party guestbooks are also now a very niche thing, most regular sites don't use them outside old homepages and web revival sites.

However I suspect the kicker here is older PHP versions; 123 was made in the 00s, so it's prob running on PHP 5-7. As of the last two years, most web hosts (including the one that 123 is registered with) are banning anything below PHP 8. It might simply be that it's not worth the time and effort of updating the code or switching to a custom server running PHP 7 for the webmaster  :sad:

I have opinions on the constant upgrade-rat-race that web technologies are in, but thats something for another thread!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2024 @601.55 »

However I suspect the kicker here is older PHP versions; 123 was made in the 00s, so it's prob running on PHP 5-7. As of the last two years, most web hosts (including the one that 123 is registered with) are banning anything below PHP 8.

That makes a lot of sense! I wish they would just come out and say that though rather then leaving us wondering :ok:

And I agree, I think the niche-ness of guestbooks in the current day was probably a deciding factor when it came to deciding to pull the plug.

My guestbook page has now been converted into a nice little archive of the messages I got! Don't cry because it's over smile because it happened etc etc

GradientMan
Newbie ⚓︎

You probably know me from Noecitities.

iMood: GradientMan

View Profile WWW

Greatest Gradient GuideJoined 2024!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2024 @618.07 »

Zamn! Wasn't expecting that. I am thinking of archiving the guestbook since they say that they're going to make they guestbooks read-only this June. When that happens, I'll link every occurence of the guestbook to an archive I'll make. Hopefully I won't forget... Otherwise that'd be a bummer. I would have to make a replacement page saying that it's my fault for not archiving it.

It's only going read-only for a month before it goes offline for good I think  :ohdear:

Exactly what I'm saying. They've confirmed it. x

~Mod note: merged posts!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024 @636.61 by Melooon » Logged

Skykristal
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2024 @636.76 »

oh that's interesting. I don't know anything about PHP. thanks for the insight Melooon!

DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2024 @694.83 »

man this sucks  :sad: i really fuckin hate this
i really hate how its always super unexpected, like why cant i get a warning in advance for things like this
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024 @701.19 by DiffydaDude » Logged

CRiNGE
Newbie ⚓︎

StatusCafe: CRiNGE
iMood: RiPPY

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2024 @696.63 »

Oh, damn. I'm really glad that I switched awhile ago.

I feel I should start manually archiving the guestbook messages I get, just in case something like this happens again with HTML Comment Box.

I notified the ArchiveTeam via IRC, but I don't know if anything else is going to be done.
Paprika
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Go to the tanterwomps for they are lost in time

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!the one and only paprika!Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2024!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2024 @720.63 »

Oh, I didn't saw it, I'm glad it was reported here because I wouldn't have noticed ! July is in two months, that'll leave enough time for people to change. At some point I'm wondering about making some kind of shoutbox or something for my site. It's not the most important part of my website either so I'll take time to think about a replacement yes.

Thanks a lot for informing us on this board !
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Alternatives for when you feel like you need to use social media.

Started by VersionBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 4
Views: 1177
Last post August 27, 2022 @312.67
by wris
MP3 Downloading in 2023

Started by SilkSkullBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 7
Views: 1269
Last post January 10, 2023 @43.18
by voupie
Yesterweb webring shutting down

Started by NecrosiaBoard ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings

Replies: 14
Views: 1120
Last post April 02, 2023 @51.70
by Cobra!

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi