Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @82.29 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 21/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 918.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: Love is not possession  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  does anyone remember ironic tiktok?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: does anyone remember ironic tiktok?  (Read 369 times)
livingdeadgrrl

thugging it out (failing)

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« on: June 30, 2024 @409.59 »

Does anyone remember when the app 'musicall.y' died and it was replaced by tiktok and for the first months or so most of the content there (at least for me) was this thing called 'ironic tiktok'?

Musciall.y was considered cringy at the time and by extention tiktok as well so not everyone moved there when musically died.  A lot of the first people there were cosplayers and furries so when people started getting on it there was this thing called the gamer vs furry war lol. which looking back was somewhat connected to the cringe culture that was still really present at the time but that being said there were furries that playing along so ig it wasnt that bad (?). I dont remember tiktok dances being a trend yet but the i found the trends back then were mostly comedic and used duets to make jokes.

I bring this up cus i was thinking of how tiktok has become the main social media sites besides twitter, at least for our generation. And that at this point, tiktok was still kinda budding and hadnt become the internet town square algorithm machine that it is now. Like i did use tiktok back then but most of my fandoms were still on tumblr so i wouldnt spend hours scrolling on tiktok simply because it still had a smaller userbase and had its own culture ig. Now everyones on it and it makes it kinda difficult to be on other websites since it gives me a sense of fomo

this post is rlly disorganized cus i cant get my thoughts straight but i just wanted reminisce on the days where there was more variety in online environments. I have other thoughts about tiktok and how its not conducive to building a community but thats for another thread.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024 @411.83 by livingdeadgrrl » Logged

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2024 @663.44 »

This seems like an interesting bit of history! I don't know much about tiktoc lore, but its super important to write these things down because time easily forgets about them and people wonder how sites like tiktoc came to be  :4u:

I also remember hearing a lot about Vine (which was a short form video platform owned by Twitter) - and there's a certain irony about how they closed it down and then a few years later were totally smoked by what was essentially the same format on tiktoc.

Its cool to wonder about these connections and think of all the similar sites that never got big :defrag:

Maybe at one time we were only days away from BangleDreams.Zone becoming the hottest media site of the 00s and everyone today would be wearing bangles that send bluetooth messages to the bangle hub in order to stream e-bangle vibes! (Its a service were you wear a bangle and subscribe to your favorite celebrates and your bangles will let them send vibrations to you)

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2024 @769.35 »

Im pretty sure Musical.ly was bought by Tiktok after it flopped so Musical.ly's videos moved to Tiktok. The gamer vs. furry war thing was 1-2 years after that happened. I dunno how "cringe" musically was considered, it had its own environment for a while, sorta like vine but different in a way.

livingdeadgrrl

thugging it out (failing)

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2024 @792.71 »

Im pretty sure Musical.ly was bought by Tiktok after it flopped so Musical.ly's videos moved to Tiktok. The gamer vs. furry war thing was 1-2 years after that happened. I dunno how "cringe" musically was considered, it had its own environment for a while, sorta like vine but different in a way.

oh yea ur prolly right about the timeline, i just recently remembered this so the details are blurry in my mind.  :drat:

This seems like an interesting bit of history! I don't know much about tiktoc lore, but its super important to write these things down because time easily forgets about them and people wonder how sites like tiktoc came to be

this was pretty well documented afair musicall.y and the ppl on it were talked abt a lot on commentary youtubers and all that   :pc:

and there's a certain irony about how they closed it down and then a few years later were totally smoked by what was essentially the same format on tiktoc.

oh yeah this was totally something on my mind as well. vine and musically had their own relatively big user base with the similar shortform video format, musically being the more similar as it literally what eventually became tiktok as opposed to vine which had a six second video length. it is interesting how adding only a few different features to musicall.y allowed it to became the powerhouse it is today.
:omg:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2024 @960.83 by Melooon » Logged

sokil
Jr. Member ⚓︎

listen, there's music in the air

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: sokil
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2024 @807.88 »

i actually sort of remember this as it's when i briefly used tiktok. i'm going to preface this by saying that i'm working with my own recollections, and it's very possible i'm misremembering or missing things. bear with me, please (and apologies if i seem like i'm incoherently rambling :tongue:)!

i had some friends who were pretty into creating videos on musical.ly back in the day but were no longer into it by the time tiktok came around. a lot of the stuff from early tiktok usually found its way onto some cringe compilation rather easily (this still happens ofc, but i feel it was a lot more frequent then.... or i personally just don't see as much of it anymore). things like the "i'm already tracer" song were everywhere; this all happened while i was still in high school and hearing people i knew reference that song despite them not even really knowing much or anything at all about overwatch felt surreal! in an attempt to simplify my thoughts on early tiktok (so 2018/2019ish), a lot of the content on there felt quite similar to stuff you'd see on instagram around that time as well as 2016 youtube. this includes both the people who spent their time just making fun of others, but also stuff like starter pack memes and cosplays, etc. but if i'm being honest, i think most of what i saw from the app outside of whatever was on my for you page was, more often than not, videos made by queer kids being put in tiktok cringe compilations on youtube because of their identity :ohdear: 

it's really weird to see how quickly the nature of the app shifted, too, with all the overnight fame and number of "rising stars" on there. back then, i knew who at least a few of them were in passing but nowadays i couldn't tell you if they're still relevant! lol :drat: i also find it really concerning how it became the new "town square" so to speak given how misinformation and propaganda are rampant (same with twitter), but i digress...best suited for another topic, probably.

yep, bytedance bought musical.ly sometime in 2017 and then merged everything into tiktok within a year, if memory serves. musical.ly was considered to be pretty cringe then (i saw a lot of musical.ly kids end up in cringe compilations or in videos made by people like leafy), and as far as i know it's still kind of considered to be cringe by some but has mostly faded into the background.

a drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind

arsenicCatnip

Big Big Worm is Wriggling With Glee!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2024 @813.02 »

I don't use social medias anymore, but I do remember this! It felt very silly and fun. I never downloaded the app myself at the time, but a couple of my friends did, and we used to make silly videos together. I remember finding it great fun, but I wouldn't use it now.

Sipping strawberry tea...beaming love into me...eternally........
drakonic
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Tiny Birthday DragonJoined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2024 @828.31 »

It was an interesting time for sure. Even brought me to download the app for a month or two. It was interesting to observe the public shift from "tiktok is cringe" to basically everyone being on tiktok. Id never thought back then that Tiktok would gain this much notoriety and influence.

Casual Poster ⚓︎

she's an angel to you... but she's a devil to me!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2024 @211.93 »

i do remember this LOL i wanna say this era lasted about a year (2018-2019)
in 2019 , i was 14 n obsessed w/ danganronpa for a hot minute so i wanted to create a joke fangan based entirely off of ironic tiktok so all the character's ultimate/super highschool levels were based off trends O_O i primarily watched these kinda tiktoks thru compilations but i did have the app on n off , i did watch musical.lys b4 it became tiktok as well ! mostly cosplay stuff
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024 @213.41 by 2010 » Logged

oh, it is love
from the first time i set my eyes upon yours
thinking,
"oh, is it love?"
Wildcat
Casual Poster ⚓︎

On the internet, no one knows you're a cat!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: bibliohound
iMood: Bibliohound

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2024 @776.22 »

I remember this era, I was on the side of the gamers, iirc

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Do you remember IRC?

Started by m15oBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 24
Views: 4400
Last post May 12, 2024 @985.95
by Junebug
Does anyone remember HyperCard? If so I have good news!

Started by TheFrugalGamerBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 8
Views: 1450
Last post December 08, 2023 @915.66
by di
Moments you remember

Started by MelooonBoard ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!

Replies: 13
Views: 1184
Last post July 23, 2024 @861.11
by Yek

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi