Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @199.07 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 35/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: :transport: More is More :transport: :4u:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Slash pages

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Slash pages  (Read 400 times)
di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: July 06, 2024 @748.70 »

Have you encountered slash pages? They're a trend started by the indie web, where a bunch of people have URLs leading to a certain topic, such as a "/now" page for current projects and interests or a "/pronoun" page for your pronouns. This site lists a lot of other examples so you can see what I mean.

They offer some neat prompts on what you can add to your site.

I just stumbled on this proposal for a "/why" page, where you can explain what you are trying to achieve with your website and have a little manifesto. The author's own example is extremely cool!

What do you think?

BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024 @3.31 »

I think slasher pages are a very neat type of shorthand for websites. Based on this concept I have a /uses page, although it's named differently in the sidebar. Some of these, like /now and /changelog, I integrated on my homepage.

Some slasher pages are more familiar than others - thanks for sharing that list.

brisray
Sr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

RocketmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024 @55.93 »

The Slaher page has some interesting ideas. I have some of those on my pages, just by different names.

I do like both of @BlazingCobaltX and di's sites. Easy to get around and read - absolutely no disrespect to anyone who prefer a different look.

What I do is keep a document with all the ideas for my pages. Some will be quick and easy to do, I know already some will take weeks or months and some might not make it to the site at all.

@BlazingCobaltX - I've got a little bit about my shoes as well, just a little different than yours.  :cheesy: 

* web-todo.jpg (257.07 kB, 1252x649 - viewed 21 times.)
Memory
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024 @397.25 »

Reminds me of the stoneage, where you had to remember every possible command for each program.

If a visual path leads to each page... are the names then relevant at all? Fiddling with the address bar would be rather cumbersome in my opinon. So hopefully, these keywords will not become the standard of web browsing.
brisray
Sr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

RocketmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2024 @47.45 »

Fiddling with the address bar would be rather cumbersome in my opinon.

I took the document was suggesting things to write about and either creating pages or a directory to put them in and creating links to them, rather than trying to do anything exotic.

A slug is a programming thing in JavaScript and other languages and commonly used to turn the title of a blog post into a URL. I think it's use in the opening of the slash page is just someone using fancy words when "page" would do.
Dreamwings
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Professional-grade yapper and late to the party

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Sealiously Cool User AwardJoined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024 @258.63 »

Ooooh! A very cool idea! I don't think it would really work for my page because the way I have my website and webserver set up, the .html/.php files aren't truncated at the end and it doesn't redirect to the correct one (probably an easy fix but I'm lazy lmao). But a lot of my existing pages already use some of the same names as these so I actually wouldn't need to change that much (though I might need to come up with pretty formatting for all of the secret pages accessed only through slash pages because then it would be expected by having the other precttier formatted pages that have the same names that the others should look the same).
Made a cute little 88x31 button for it, to show on your site that you have them (you can link it back to the main page or not). No credit required.  :seal:

* this site uses slash pages.gif (0.82 kB, 88x31 - viewed 110 times.)

If I sound angry I'm probably not unless I say so. I'm just really really blunt. :dog:
di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2024 @67.23 »

If a visual path leads to each page... are the names then relevant at all? Fiddling with the address bar would be rather cumbersome in my opinon. So hopefully, these keywords will not become the standard of web browsing.

I think I see what you mean; websites are very exploratory, so just jumping straight to a URL takes away that experience. But I don't know if I'd ever actually do that though; I like navigating websites (unless they're broken).

For me, the appeal of slash pages is to have some ideas of what to put on my personal site. Since you can put anything on there, a little structure and prompts can help offshoot creativity. Plus the meme-y, community nature of them makes the web feel a little less lonely.

@BlazingCobaltX - I've got a little bit about my shoes as well, just a little different than yours.

I must say there is something amazing about indexing your shoes. Maybe we need to start a /shoes page trend.

Also, @BlazingCobaltX, your /uses page is very cool. You have some beautiful guitars.

Made a cute little 88x31 button for it, to show on your site that you have them (you can link it back to the main page or not). No credit required.  :seal:

That's so neat! Thank you for sharing! :seal:

BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2024 @634.91 »

I must say there is something amazing about indexing your shoes. Maybe we need to start a /shoes page trend.

Also, @BlazingCobaltX, your /uses page is very cool. You have some beautiful guitars.
Thanks! My /uses page is an amalgamation of things I've seen on other people's pages, and what I would find personally useful. The shoes are there because I've struggled a lot with finding the right stuff for me, so if I can help someone out by sharing my recommendation then that would be great. :cheerR:

(I've also whipped out my /uses page a few times when people asked me about my PC specs, it's easier than remembering my PCPartPicker username)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

What are some of your favorite 404 pages?

Started by Icey!Board ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 17
Views: 4555
Last post August 03, 2024 @166.93
by candycanearter07
Pages & sites with sound

Started by DJoftheCovenBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 8
Views: 1558
Last post May 03, 2023 @643.34
by Skykristal
About Pages

Started by SilkSkullBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 1
Views: 896
Last post November 26, 2022 @833.03
by TheFrugalGamer

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi