Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @58.81 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 22/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 942.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | | |-+  Is JJBA gay?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Is JJBA gay?  (Read 267 times)
Zombiethederg
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Just surfin. Dont mind me!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Purple Butterfly - to match your purple avatar!Joined 2024!
« on: July 13, 2024 @945.78 »

So, Im a big fan of JJBA (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure) and I constantly see people talk all the time about how the show is very gay. I recently watched a decent video essay on the topic, and I realized there is ALOT of nuance to the topic.

I am of the opinion it is sub textually in many ways, but I want to know, for any fans within this forum, what do you wall think? Is it? Is it not? Im very curious to see what you all think? (If you haven't engaged with JJBA PLEASE read or watch it pretty pleaaaase its so good)

PfP art by Bunbubbletea on Fiverr
Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2024 @967.16 »

The question confuses me - how can an anime be gay? Do you mean are the characters gay? I don't really understand what this means.

I watched the show a long while ago, there are a couple of explicitly gay/bi characters (DIO, Pucci, Sorbet & Gelato) but I don't think any of the characters orientations were the focal point of any of the plots to my recollection.

bugholder's epiphany
Full Member ⚓︎

why do they call it oven

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2024 @43.07 »

It's a common running joke due to the heavily masculine nature of the show and the fact that a good chunk of the characters are shown to be... well, if not directly stated to be gay or bisexual, atleast heavily implied or inferred. It doesn't necessarily mean that the show is gay, however. If anything, I think it's more of a joke people make about it.

That being said I wholeheartedly headcanon a good chunk of the characters gay.
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2024 @45.31 »

The show has certainly some gay undertones, and showcases some emotional charged male-male relationships. The same is, by the way, true for many other classic shonen (Legend of the galactic heroes, Fist of the North Start, Dragonball!). Doesn't make the show gay, but surely somewhat attractive for a gay audience  :grin: .

garystu
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024 @708.13 »

The show has many flamboyant male fashions, and a focus on male relationships. Its no wonder it attracts a gay audience.

A reoccurring motif in the series is that "weird people just exist some times, and that's ok". Its usually pulled off with a supernatural twist. Its not directly a queer thing, but its a narrative with obvious appeal to a marginalised audience.

Canonically, almost all relationships shown in the series are heterosexual. the series just doesn't do good romance, its no wonder shippers want to fill that perceived void. I'm not into shipping and I dont care if the canon romance is crap. I'm not here for a love story!! Also, the series is kind of bad towards its female characters. So misogynist its gay, many such cases in media.

gazafunds.com | Daily click for Palestine

xoxoxoxoxoxo
Signature Graphic ^^^ Credits
[close]
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi