Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @728.10 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  What is one thing you remember about scratch.mit.edu?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What is one thing you remember about scratch.mit.edu?  (Read 566 times)
GlitchyZorua
Jr. Member ⚓︎

existing

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: glitchyzorua
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

microsoft toaster-finderzoru gameboy dudeGlitched Away From SinnohJoined 2024!
« on: August 14, 2024 @71.24 »

post your memories about scratch, the block coding website, here!

I remember playing those funny Beat Character Up projects, on Scratch.

Needless to say, lets just say the Scratch Team were pretty relaxed with the rules back in the 2.0 era of scratch.

Oh and that annoying stuttering, that was awful :sad:

With loves and hugs, GlitchyZorua

CableCat
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Man I Love Frogs!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Worm!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2024 @123.68 »

:happy:

Oh wow! So, I think I was just a bit too old for this, but a much younger sibling did create things on scratch! I remember being in my early 20's and this young sibling making little characters move. I remember watching over their shoulder and being so impressed by and proud of them!

It looks like Scratch was around while I was in school, but I don't remember anyone talking about it, not even kids who were in the "computer" and "technology" classes. Those classes were very small if they had enough kids sign up to even hold the class.

"Sharing Tea With A Fascinating Stranger Is One Of Life’s True Delights."

~Uncle Iroh

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅☽〇☾⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
  *Help Me Hatch my Dragon Eggs!*
      Give 'em a click, plz!
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

candycanearter07
Full Member ⚓︎

i like slimes

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy CaneJoined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2024 @179.86 »

:happy:

Oh wow! So, I think I was just a bit too old for this, but a much younger sibling did create things on scratch! I remember being in my early 20's and this young sibling making little characters move. I remember watching over their shoulder and being so impressed by and proud of them!

It looks like Scratch was around while I was in school, but I don't remember anyone talking about it, not even kids who were in the "computer" and "technology" classes. Those classes were very small if they had enough kids sign up to even hold the class.

Me neither, the only time i think scratch was brought up was this weird after school coding class my mom made me do.. basically everyone slacked off and played minecraft education edition instead :D

new to oldnet be nice

jack_dawlia
Casual Poster ⚓︎

catgirl irl

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!GLaDOS' Test Chamber VeteranJoined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2024 @243.24 »

mann i remember learning scratch at home and showing off to people at primary school -w- i'd make games using the pen tool where it would just draw shapes, dress up games, and lyric videos (loved the swirly font so much) ,, and 1/2s animations to imagine dragons songs that i thought were bad ass,, probably got a few viruses from the youtube to mp3 websites i was using lol

the thing i was proudest over was a game where you could mix two colours and it would make the mixed colour, along with particle effects (the code was so shoddy though that when scratch updated to version 3.0 half of it kinda broke :tnt:) the peak of game design for sure

definitely a nostalgic time in my life ^_^

- the silly (xe/xir)
Riqo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Guess what I wear as a hat .. an eyeball!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: riqo
iMood: nasunikki

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2024 @374.19 »

In my elementary Years, I liked to Browse scratch for Art showcases and Little games about Warrior Cats LOL . I can remember Some a bit In my mind but I can't really Remember their names :sad: They were Always fun though And served As a great Way to kill Boredom while in Classes XD

It wasn't Until my first Year in Highschool where I actually Made my own Projects and Tinkered around With them for my Intro to Computer Science class. Take "MY OWN" loosely Though because I just followed the Instructions needed for my work BUTTTTTTTTTT I did find Enjoyment in Drawing out sprites Or making Simple animations for Them :grin: The way the Editor works on Scratch never really Stuck with me, but I'm glad it's introduced Many Young people to coding ... It's a Neat skill to Learn and its presented In a simple, Easy to Understand way!!!!! :grin:

Have a nice dream ...
Tommie ΘΔ
Jr. Member ⚓︎

It's not gay if it's the floor...

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: anchorgutz
PicMix: brynnstic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2024 @569.80 »

God. I remember working for days on an RPG project about my ocs. I drew all the sprites and backgrounds on Google Canvas. I had the whole storyline worked out and everything. I finally finished the project, posted it, and after a month it was taken down with no warning :sad:

No archive of it or anything, my account ended up getting deleted later and I still don't know why :drat: Really sucked but it inspired me to move off of Scratch and to a personal host instead (RenPy). So I guess we win some we lose some :,)

Last night I drove to Harper's Ferry and I thought about you...
candycanearter07
Full Member ⚓︎

i like slimes

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy CaneJoined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2024 @571.59 »

God. I remember working for days on an RPG project about my ocs. I drew all the sprites and backgrounds on Google Canvas. I had the whole storyline worked out and everything. I finally finished the project, posted it, and after a month it was taken down with no warning :sad:

No archive of it or anything, my account ended up getting deleted later and I still don't know why :drat: Really sucked but it inspired me to move off of Scratch and to a personal host instead (RenPy). So I guess we win some we lose some :,)

That's pretty impressive, from what I remember GCanvas was not very good. Did you remake the project in RenPy? Also, do you have any other media about your ocs?

new to oldnet be nice

Tommie ΘΔ
Jr. Member ⚓︎

It's not gay if it's the floor...

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: anchorgutz
PicMix: brynnstic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2024 @577.96 »

That's pretty impressive, from what I remember GCanvas was not very good. Did you remake the project in RenPy? Also, do you have any other media about your ocs?

Yea it kinda sucked but it was better than nothing :ok: I'd love to remake/continue the project but since my art style has changed a lot I think I'd have to remake my sprites :dive:

As for other media, I mostly just do comics. But I've been doing a visual novel on RenPy abt some slice-of-life ocs, and an RPGmaker game about one of my medical horror series :dog: Scratch definitely was the catalyst for my interest in coding, so I have to thank it for that (even if it killed my dragon rpg)

Last night I drove to Harper's Ferry and I thought about you...
greyskieshappymind
Casual Poster ⚓︎

✩₊˚.⋆her⋆⁺₊✧

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!Lego Bionicle !Joined 2024!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2024 @670.73 »

At 10 before I discovered YouTube to mp3 I would use the Scratch website to look for projects that were just music and a cool background and save mp3s from them.

Going through my old favourites, if I had to pick one game that impressed me the most it would have to be Halo ODST: Left Behind by daves777. Also on the topic of 3D projects I remember playing 3D Laser Tag Online and seeing comments asking if anyone was playing currently from 10-20 minutes ago. It was unnerving thinking to myself if I had just missed someone or if I was truly alone wandering the halls.

I have scattered memories of messing around with it. When I was 8 my dad introduced me to the desktop app and I kept on trying to make a working PacMan from the maze demo project. I think I joined the site when I was 10 and by then my aspiration was to make a top-down zombie shooter. Then when I was like 12 I wanted to make a RPGmaker style psychological horror game. A random day at 14 had me up until 4am trying to make a top-down zombie shooter again. Anyways, to this day I still think making my own RPG would be cool.

"You're limiting the universe to only things humans can understand."
"Well you're limiting the universe by limiting the possibility of human understanding."
"Oh yeah... maybe."
- Over the Garden Wall, episode 9, 06:50-06:59

Bumperdog
Casual Poster

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2024 @858.09 »

I remember scratch, I made a account back in 2017 and when I was only 13 years old. I just recently found my account. It's called "Dark-chica". Link.

Let's just say it contains nostalgic memories from my past that I think everyone should see. I didn't really code games though, I just made scripted animations.

I only ever made two animations that were apart of a series called "fnati horror". I will show you links to the two animations.

Animation #1: Link.

Animation #2: Link.

As you may guess, I was a big fan of Five Nights at Freddy's and I also like the fangame Five Nights at Treasure Island.

"You may die a hero or you may live long enough to see yourself become the villian." - Most favorited quote from someone I don't know.
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!melonlands goth cat!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2024 @924.63 »

I used to be a super active Scratch user as a very young gal, after there was a "Scratch Day" at my school. I was addicted- I could make games! I could make animation! It unlocked everything for me. I mostly used it for making my own imitations of the virtual world games I loved to play at that age, complete with fake "other players" who had their own AI and built in random chat responses and stuff, so I could play my ideal wolf game of my dreams  :ok: And other animal-based roleplaying games with simple hunting and fighting and stuff. And I posted a whole lot of art of wolves and warrior cats of course  :seal:  I think Scratch made me the artist and creator I am today.

I actually did a whole Scratch revisit/look back suuuuper early in the history of my site if anyone feels like sniffing around my old 2023 blog posts. I see a lot of my current creative preferences and ideas in that earlier work of mine and honestly some of it was kind of impressive considering how young I was. (though it does feel odd having things that old still public that could probably be traced back to me... ah well!)

1dkreally
Casual Poster ⚓︎

trying my best to keep it silly :3

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2024 @948.97 »

i never had much access to scratch at home since i never had a computer as a kid, but i remember that it was always a good day when we got to use scratch in ict class back in primary school! :DD
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2024 @204.98 »

I absolutely loved it! I remember playing an exact remake of FNAF 2 in Scratch back in the day. I also had my own "Scratch OS", as we called them, called Inspire OS! Though most of the actual coding was done by someone whose project I based mine off of, I still did a lot of the graphical design and made some new programs for my version. I was really proud of it! (Also, my username comes from my Scratch account from back in the day!)

Also, evil kumquats anyone?

"...And we are not angels, to be comforted by seeing the means for which everything is sent."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters

truedream
Newbie ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2024 @78.97 »

i used scratch in late elementary/early middle school. I remember me and my friends played a lot of 'minecraft on scratch' type of games and platforming games... I think i had several accounts and i'm not entirely sure why. I also very very vaguely my classmates going to war with another user on scratch but i cannot remember why

Simon | He/Hy/They | 18

icon art by @silkysong on tumblr
Dibs
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Save the cheerleader, save the world!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!Joined 2024!
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2024 @420.50 »

Scratch was the only thing approaching social media that I used for ages! As with many others, I was mostly in the Warrior Cats sphere, specifically the animations. Drawing Greystripe was what made art click for me, and Scratch was what got me into digital art!

Clear Skies!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Things you've overheard?

Started by DoctorScreechBoard ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!

Replies: 15
Views: 2827
Last post October 08, 2024 @902.21
by Dazhak
Do you remember IRC?

Started by m15oBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 27
Views: 4597
Last post October 16, 2024 @433.51
by Catonator
Tiny things, a topic for tiny things

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 18
Views: 4206
Last post August 23, 2023 @886.10
by Memory

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi