Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 21, 2024 - @179.76 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 39/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Google to Firefox?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Google to Firefox?  (Read 453 times)
Tommie ΘΔ
Jr. Member ⚓︎

It's not gay if it's the floor...

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: anchorgutz
PicMix: brynnstic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: August 15, 2024 @860.72 »

I've been thinking recently about switching to Firefox, or a fork of it, as my main pc browser. Ive been using google for the past 7 years now but I've heard good things about Firefox. Supposedly its more private than Google, so to Firefox users: is it worth the switch? just want to know what u guys think!!  :dog: :dog:

I used to use it when I was little, so I plan on reinstalling for nostalgia either way, but whether I begin to use it full time or not is up for debate :ohdear:

Last night I drove to Harper's Ferry and I thought about you...
candycanearter07
Full Member ⚓︎

i like slimes

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy CaneJoined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2024 @866.99 »

well..
i use firefox, and i like it, but there is some really weird stuff going on here right now. from what little i understand, google was funding firefox but they can't anymore because of the antitrust lawsuit so firefox is going to be an ad supported browser

i basically only use it at this point because manifest 3.0 and i want my godamn adblocker

new to oldnet be nice

GlitchyZorua
Casual Poster ⚓︎

existing

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: glitchyzorua
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

microsoft toaster-finderzoru gameboy dudeGlitched Away From SinnohJoined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2024 @881.59 »

Google? I assume you mean Google Chrome.

Either way, yes. i highly recommend you use Waterfox or LibreWolf, though. (forks of firefox)

With loves and hugs, GlitchyZorua

1dkreally
Casual Poster ⚓︎

trying my best to keep it silly :3

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2024 @927.13 »

i think i switched to firefox a year or two ago? never looked back firefox is SO much better in my opinion, especially with the right extensions (ublock origin my beloved)
bubblefemmes
Casual Poster

⚥ ⚢ ✡︎ ΘΔ

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: bubblefemmes

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2024 @936.88 »

i think it was earlier this year i made the switch myself from google chrome to firefox and honestly, i've come to really like it!

i was motivated to make the switch after finding out about manifest v3 and its hit to adblockers (plus generally getting tired of the monopoly that is chromium). i find firefox runs better on my computer. it's very customizable with dozens of themes and extensions (you can find most extensions from google on firefox or some equivalent of it). most importantly, it's very user friendly and easy to set up -- you can import all your bookmarks easy peasy lemon squeezy! overall i do recommend making the switch. :ha:
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2024 @81.59 »

Firefox is a rather good software, and I can highly recommend it.
The problems mentioned by some people here are existent, but were massively exaggerated recently: You have to turn the data-collecting features, that are (and this is a shame) enabled by default, off.
You should also remove various other things: There are pre-installed bookmarks, links on the blank page, and semi-commercial features that you can (and imho, should, deactivate).
If you are into security and privacy, I also recommend to use some plugins you can find on Prism-Break.org: uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger and - but this one requires a bit of technical knowledge - NoScript.

I'm skeptical about using small forks or small browsers in general; if you ask me, this is a possible vector for potential attackers (attacking the development or distribution of a small project is much simpler and more likely to stay undetected!).

Also note that even if you don't do anything, the amount of data Mozilla might collect is probably minimal when compared to your file at Google :).

If your concern is for privacy, I also heavily recommend to use another search engine for default. But thats another topic.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2024 @92.19 by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft » Logged

ctrl-shift-esc
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2024 @414.62 »

well..
i use firefox, and i like it, but there is some really weird stuff going on here right now. from what little i understand, google was funding firefox but they can't anymore because of the antitrust lawsuit so firefox is going to be an ad supported browser

i basically only use it at this point because manifest 3.0 and i want my godamn adblocker

This sounds concerning. I've heard of the google antitrust lawsuit, but I haven't heard that Firefox would transition into an ad-supported model? Is this just a rumor or has there been any credible sources about this, does anyone know?

---

I've used Firefox since I got on the internet, which is around 2006. Never had a problem with it. I dabbled with Chrome when it was touted to be faster in web page loading than Firefox, but I never really seriously used Chrome. I only fire up Chrome (well, Ungoogled Chromium to be exact) only when some naughty, naughty webpage isn't playing nice with Firefox  :tongue:

I used to use Pale Moon back in the day, but after running into more and more compatibility issues, I just went to mainline Firefox and stuck with it. I keep Librewolf and Tor as secondary browsers that I can launch whenever I want to do something in another private window to keep websites telling each other what I'm up to :evil: without closing the open tabs in another.

Regarding the OP question, yes, it is very much worth the switch. It is more private than Google Chrome by default, and can be made even more private by adjusting settings etc. Plus you'll be a cool rebel fighting back against the monopoly that Google is having on web browsers  :cheerR:

0=1
Tommie ΘΔ
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2024 @571.18 »

Firefox is a rather good software, and I can highly recommend it.
The problems mentioned by some people here are existent, but were massively exaggerated recently: You have to turn the data-collecting features, that are (and this is a shame) enabled by default, off.
You should also remove various other things: There are pre-installed bookmarks, links on the blank page, and semi-commercial features that you can (and imho, should, deactivate).
If you are into security and privacy, I also recommend to use some plugins you can find on Prism-Break.org: uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger and - but this one requires a bit of technical knowledge - NoScript.

I'm skeptical about using small forks or small browsers in general; if you ask me, this is a possible vector for potential attackers (attacking the development or distribution of a small project is much simpler and more likely to stay undetected!).

Also note that even if you don't do anything, the amount of data Mozilla might collect is probably minimal when compared to your file at Google :).

If your concern is for privacy, I also heavily recommend to use another search engine for default. But thats another topic.

Any search engines you'd recommend? After reading all these replies, I've decided to officially switch to Firefox on my pc :4u:

candycanearter07
Full Member ⚓︎

i like slimes

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy CaneJoined 2024!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2024 @574.88 »

This sounds concerning. I've heard of the google antitrust lawsuit, but I haven't heard that Firefox would transition into an ad-supported model? Is this just a rumor or has there been any credible sources about this, does anyone know?

---

I've used Firefox since I got on the internet, which is around 2006. Never had a problem with it. I dabbled with Chrome when it was touted to be faster in web page loading than Firefox, but I never really seriously used Chrome. I only fire up Chrome (well, Ungoogled Chromium to be exact) only when some naughty, naughty webpage isn't playing nice with Firefox  :tongue:

I used to use Pale Moon back in the day, but after running into more and more compatibility issues, I just went to mainline Firefox and stuck with it. I keep Librewolf and Tor as secondary browsers that I can launch whenever I want to do something in another private window to keep websites telling each other what I'm up to :evil: without closing the open tabs in another.

Regarding the OP question, yes, it is very much worth the switch. It is more private than Google Chrome by default, and can be made even more private by adjusting settings etc. Plus you'll be a cool rebel fighting back against the monopoly that Google is having on web browsers  :cheerR:

https://fortune.com/2024/08/05/mozilla-firefox-biggest-potential-loser-google-antitrust-search-ruling/
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/advertising/

To be fair, from what I looked up it doesn't seem like they're adding new ads yet, so its hopefully just a rumor. I might try to install Librewolf or PaleMoon, though..

new to oldnet be nice

ctrl-shift-esc
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2024 @582.55 »

Any search engines you'd recommend? After reading all these replies, I've decided to officially switch to Firefox on my pc :4u:

I wanna chime in on this!  :cheesy: I suggest https://startpage.com and https://duckduckgo.com to start with - they are more privacy respecting. I use both and change them around whenever the other doesn't find what I'm looking for. From my understanding Startpage uses Google search results, but passes them onto you through privacy filters. The details are hazy but I think they explain them in their website. DuckDuckGo I think uses Bing results but does basically the same privacy filter thing like Startpage does. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong on this. There are also other, more specialized search engines, but those two are good for general use and quite painless to transition to.

Anyway, congrats :ha: hope you have fine times web surfing with the 'fox.

https://fortune.com/2024/08/05/mozilla-firefox-biggest-potential-loser-google-antitrust-search-ruling/
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/advertising/

To be fair, from what I looked up it doesn't seem like they're adding new ads yet, so its hopefully just a rumor. I might try to install Librewolf or PaleMoon, though..

Hmm, so nothing concrete so far. On that note though, Google kinda has to keep Firefox afloat by some means, because if Firefox dies, they will undoubtedly face a similar antitrust lawsuit over Chrome. Honestly I'm kinda shocked that it hasn't happened yet when they might as well be a monopoly considering the market share of Chromium-based browsers :tongue:

Librewolf is good, in fact I am writing this comment right now on Librewolf! :cheesy: AWOOO!!! :dog:  :grin:

Pale Moon I haven't used it years... maybe I should check it out sometime again as a secondary browser. It used to be my main browser for several years, I forget when exactly, somewhere around the early 2010's...

Edit: typos

0=1
Tommie ΘΔ
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2024 @586.99 »

L
I wanna chime in on this!  :cheesy: I suggest https://startpage.com and https://duckduckgo.com to start with - they are more privacy respecting. I use both and change them around whenever the other doesn't find what I'm looking for. From my understanding Startpage uses Google search results, but passes them onto you through privacy filters. The details are hazy but I think they explain them in their website. DuckDuckGo I think uses Bing results but does basically the same privacy filter thing like Startpage does. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong on this. There are also other, more specialized search engines, but those two are good for general use and quite painless to transition to.

Anyway, congrats :ha: hope you have fine times web surfing with the 'fox.

Hmm, so nothing concrete so far. On that note though, Google kinda has to keep Firefox afloat by some means, because if Firefox dies, they will undoubtedly face a similar antitrust lawsuit over Chrome. Honestly I'm kinda shocked that it hasn't happened yet when they might as well be a monopoly considering the market share of Chromium-based browsers :tongue:

Librewolf is good, in fact I am writing this comment right now on Librewolf! :cheesy: AWOOO!!! :dog:  :grin:

Pale Moon I haven't used it years... maybe I should check it out sometime again as a secondary browser. It used to be my main browser for several years, I forget when exactly, somewhere around the early 2010's...

Edit: typos

Lots of good info here, thanx!! My dad uses DuckDuckGo for privacy reasons, and he seems to like it pretty well. I might try out Startpage first since you said it pulls from Google results!! I appreciate all these responses  :transport:

bubblefemmes
Casual Poster

⚥ ⚢ ✡︎ ΘΔ

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: bubblefemmes

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2024 @662.14 »

yayyy! happy you're switching!  :seal:

i second duckduckgo if you care about your privacy. i also have heard some people enjoy ecosia because of its positive environmental impact and it seems alright privacy wise, so that's another option too.

if i can, i'd also highly recommend getting the following extensions for a better web experience:
- ublock origin for blocking ads
- privacy badger and denetraleyes for blocking trackers
- bypass paywalls for, well, bypassing paywalls
- if you watch videos on youtube, sponserblock
grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2024 @723.73 »

Yay! Welcome to the bunch of fox browsers, lol.

I use Waterfox and Firefox! Mainly Waterfox, as it supposedly gets updates still on my Win7 PC.

For searching, I use Startpage, and sometimes duckduckgo. If I need something specific, I use google search, but startpage is really good imo, better than DDG is my experience.

I also use Ublock Origin on Firefox/Waterfox naturally.  Yay for switching! Google is awful (but handy)  :tnt:

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2024 @11.28 »

I use a mixture of SearX and Startpage.

alexela64
Full Member ⚓︎

when does the work end..............

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2024 @79.72 »

I use a mixture of SearX and Startpage.

Do you like searx or startpage better? I've used searx for a bit but it's got some things it could improve on tbh. I'd love something more optimized.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Deleting all of my google accounts

Started by AnonicusBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 2
Views: 587
Last post June 11, 2023 @843.30
by Icey!
SEO Abuse on Google?

Started by bingus_babyBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 26
Views: 2590
Last post March 14, 2024 @79.21
by bingus_baby
Making Firefox look like Netscape Navigator

Started by elliebeesBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 4
Views: 712
Last post February 06, 2024 @631.94
by Yaya

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi