Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 16, 2024 - @634.72 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 36/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  Strange and unconventional instruments

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Strange and unconventional instruments  (Read 402 times)
Scootarooni
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: scootarooni
iMood: scootarooni

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: August 23, 2024 @981.48 »

One of my favorite multimedia artists is Louie Zong. I listen to his music all the time! One of my favorite things he does on occasion is using a strange/unconventional instrument to create a really cool tune.

Such as this goodwill piano

or this 1987 drum software

oooor my personal favorite: a song made from different nintendo music games!

(There are a bunch more examples on his youtube, I just picked out some of my favorites!)
Do you know of any fun, strange and/or unconventional instruments? Or any songs that really get funky with it? :seal:

caracalled

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: caracalled

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2024 @378.82 »

Okay, I FINALLY found these again, so I can respond bwahhaha

these made me think of a Nintendo DS homebrew thingy I saw a while ago!
Rytmik
I don't know much about music so I can't really say much about either of these but I love fun things! And whatever Louie has going on is definitely SO fun!

Another little one is this Hatsune Miku Pocket Synth that I find so so cute aaa!

Scootarooni
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2024 @959.32 »

Okay, I FINALLY found these again, so I can respond bwahhaha

these made me think of a Nintendo DS homebrew thingy I saw a while ago!
Rytmik
I don't know much about music so I can't really say much about either of these but I love fun things! And whatever Louie has going on is definitely SO fun!

Another little one is this Hatsune Miku Pocket Synth that I find so so cute aaa!

New favorite music genre unlocked: whatever the heck people are doing with their 3DSs

Oh I've seen this exact video about the pocket synth! It's so limited compared to regular ole Miku, but WOW it really does lend itself to some creative ways to go about it. Like, to literally use Miku as an instrument...it's so cool (I mean a singing voice is an instrument but I hope you know what I mean hehe :ok: )

Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2024 @649.38 »

I am prob a basic b**ch here for saying this, but my fave instruments of all time are:

The Theremin - how can anyone not adore and love this instrument? It's been used copiously in horror movies through the '50s-'70s! You hear a Theremin and you know there's gonna be some otherworldly alien crap going down!

I also love the Waterphone... again for similar reasons as the Theremin but the Waterphone holds a closer place in my heart cos I heard the otherworldly, existential sounds of a Waterphone in some of my favorite ever movies and shows... The Fly, Real Monsters, Rugrats, The Matrix etc. One of my fave uses for it was this scene in The Fly (content warning, horror movie content click with caution) where 'Ronnie looks out of the telepod to see Brundlefly walk by... the otherworldly feel of the situation is captured so perfectly with that one sound!

Honorary mention also goes out to the Hydraulophone!

Anagato
Newbie ⚓︎

Mew mew

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2024 @957.87 »

Saw the title of this thread and I had to add my sauce in here.hehe :4u:
I wish I myself was the one using weird instruments but the most I have done is sampling stuff from 90's sample packs.
But in that same sample journey I've found this youtube channel
Japanese Toy Piano from 1957 has electric bells inside!
It has a lot of interesting videos and the cool thing is that a lot of these instruments they turn into free sample librarys!
(My fav one is the vinyl thingy)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2024 @986.98 by Anagato » Logged

Nothing to add here for now
Scootarooni
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2024 @40.32 »

I also love the Waterphone... again for similar reasons as the Theremin but the Waterphone holds a closer place in my heart cos I heard the otherworldly, existential sounds of a Waterphone in some of my favorite ever movies and shows... The Fly, Real Monsters, Rugrats, The Matrix etc. One of my fave uses for it was this scene in The Fly (content warning, horror movie content click with caution) where 'Ronnie looks out of the telepod to see Brundlefly walk by... the otherworldly feel of the situation is captured so perfectly with that one sound!

Honorary mention also goes out to the Hydraulophone!

I had to check out the waterphone and hydraulophone because I've never heard of them! But I instantly recognized the former!! I'm glad I now know the name of the instrument that makes those classic horror stings! I honestly didn't even known there was a specific instrument to attribute to those sounds, so cool!

And the hydraulophone is so interesting and soothing! It's the perfect instrument for a water level in a video game :ok:

Saw the title of this thread and I had to add my sauce in here.hehe :4u:
I wish I myself was the one using weird instruments but the most I have done is sampling stuff from 90's sample packs.
But in that same sample journey I've found this youtube channel
Japanese Toy Piano from 1957 has electric bells inside!
It has a lot of interesting videos and the cool thing is that a lot of these instruments they turn into free sample librarys!
(My fav one is the vinyl thingy)

I'm curious as to what's the strangest thing you've sampled!

I love toy pianos! The way they sound a little bit "off" really scratches a certain itch in my brain juuust right. And this one is so neat! Seeing the mechanisms that make it work and getting a little history lesson is super cool too!

Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2024 @789.12 »

I had to check out the waterphone and hydraulophone because I've never heard of them! But I instantly recognized the former!! I'm glad I now know the name of the instrument that makes those classic horror stings! I honestly didn't even known there was a specific instrument to attribute to those sounds, so cool!

And the hydraulophone is so interesting and soothing! It's the perfect instrument for a water level in a video game :ok:

I am real glad I could inform! I know I was SUPER excited and happy when a friend told me about the waterphone years ago, and I finally realised the instrument behind some of my fave sfx! I dunno what it is specifically about a waterphone but, hearing it just instantly makes me think I am witnessing some sort of 'beyond the veil of human comprehension' type of nightmare/eldritch thing! It's great!

BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2024 @608.91 »

First thing I thought of was people using the GameBoy to make music, with something called the Nanoloop. You can apparently hook up the GameBoy to effect pedals for even more creativity. It's a very interesting way to make authentic chiptunes.

Riqo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Guess what I wear as a hat .. an eyeball!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: riqo
iMood: nasunikki

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2024 @382.73 »

The theremin Is one of my Favorites that comes to Mind, but I'm sure a Lot of people Know about it Already LOL ...

I am also fond of the Saw, or the Musical Saw in case Things get mixed up :ok: It's really Neat how people Were able to get something Musical out of Something that's commonly Recognized as a tool! The sound It makes Has similarities to those From a theremin, Which is probably One of the main Reasons why I like it as Well :grin: !!!! There's even Saws out there that Are customized Specifically for being an Instrument with some Nice decoration, though still with their Signature serrated Edge ... (I've recently Read that some Sawists modify their Saw so that it Doesn't have a Sharp side, though!) Real interesting Stuff ^_____________________^

Have a nice dream ...
bugfeli
Casual Poster

at the end of everything, hold onto anything

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: bugfelii
iMood: bufeli

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2024 @622.45 »

briefly skimming this thread, i don't think anyone has mentioned the oscilloscope (my personal favorite machine to ever exist) as a means for music. the oscilloscope displays soundwaves visually and is a pretty useful for checking amps for debug, which is the only thing i've personally used it for but i'm sure they have many other important uses. anyways, last year i went to a local music fest and one of the artists there showcase how he used the oscilloscope to both make music as well as create the album covers for his songs. i seriously wish that I caught the name of his band but there are plenty of other examples online as well!

this site by eric lennartson does a pretty good job explaining how the process works as well as provides examples of the sound, totally recommend checking it out if you're interested. also, some pictures of the fabled o-scope because they just look sick too!

everything is ok!

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2024 @807.93 »

Do acoustic instruments count?

The Contraguitar is a instrument mainly in use within Austria, and it is hard to find even footage of it in usage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contraguitar

----------

I have some asian mouth-organs here. A Bahu and a Khene; both are - at least in the area where I live - most exotic!
The Bahu got a great sound, almost like a Oboe. The Khene is damn difficult to play, and since the reeds are long (so you inhale your used air again, since it is played two-way), I get dizzy when using it. I've heard that it is played for purpose of meditation in Laos. There is another asian mouth-organ that incorporates a squash!

-----------

There is, to my knowledge, only a handful of Glass-Organ players existent on the planet, and the instruments are basically unfindable:

-----------

The portative organ is a miniature organ, and the only records I know using it are some of the works of Shirley Collins with her sister. The sound is great!

nuclearblues
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Heaven is a very large and interesting place

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: nuclearblues
iMood: nuclearblues

View Profile WWW

Cassettes !Joined 2024!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2024 @703.32 »

I'm a little shocked to see that nobody has mentioned the stylophone yet considering how fairly mainstream they are! they started as a children's toy but have gained a bit of musical prestige over the past 60 years thanks to their usage in songs by artists like david bowie and kraftwerk. they're essentially a small handheld electric keyboard with a built in speaker and several tuning options, but the most unique thing about them is that they are played using a little attached stylus which creates an electrical contact signal with the keys. I have one of the basic models, which hasn't changed in design much since 1967, and it's incredibly fun to play. there are all sorts of models now, including one with expanded technical synth capabilities and a couple of small drum machines, as well as a theremin model releasing soon.

halcybutton
Jr. Member ⚓︎

i may be cringe but i am free

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: halcybutton
iMood: halcybutton
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2024 @226.55 »

i like when people repurpose common objects into something musical. an example i have on hand is this person who modified an industrial fan into an instrument.
i've also seen barcode scanners and crt tvs be used! i think it's super creative to be able to transform objects into such fun sounding instruments  :dive:

HALCYON 
it/he/ey - EST
stanzalune
Casual Poster ⚓︎

they/them

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2024 @364.18 »

gosh, how have none of you mentioned the omnichord yet?? i LOVE mine. or the autoharp for that matter (which i don't have... yet...!).

they're not just gorgeous-sounding, but super accessible instruments. i genuinely don't think i'd be as into music as i am if i didn't have my omnichords.

neocities
a laugh can be a very powerful thing. why, sometimes, it's the only weapon we have.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Strange New Worlds

Started by MemoryBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 4
Views: 1338
Last post July 12, 2022 @942.85
by Memory
Strange 'Consoles' like the LeapPad

Started by DojidaveBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 30
Views: 2453
Last post August 13, 2024 @916.93
by candycanearter07
Life is Strange: Bae or Bay?

Started by tarraxahumBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 2
Views: 686
Last post January 08, 2023 @707.38
by tarraxahum

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi