Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 27, 2024 - @639.46 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 30/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 361.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!
| | |-+  Foreign Languages?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Foreign Languages?  (Read 426 times)
purelyconstructive
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2024 @78.04 »

I am really fascinated with the concept of human brains working differently depending on the language they learnt as a child and grew up around. It's beyond fascinating to me to imagine that human minds can conceptually work and think rather differently all because of the way words are used.

I am fascinated by this as well! You are probably already familiar with it, but Lera Boroditsky's research gives some interesting examples. Becoming aware of these patterns is helpful for learning to "think" in a language. For a bit of entertainment, I also highly recommend the movie Arrival if you haven't seen it.

Does anybody have any tips? For learning Japanese or to stay motivated and whatnot.

Because you mentioned breaking down sentences, I assume that you are starting with reading and are interested in understanding Japanese in the long-term. Therefore...

I humbly suggest conditioning "Hiragana" into your brain as soon as possible. It is both extremely helpful and necessary in learning just about everything else (pronunciation, grammar, etc.). While it might seem easier at first, I would completely avoid relying on "Romaji" (i.e.: Japanese written out phonetically with English letters). Skip on "Katakana" until you feel thoroughly comfortable with Hiragana. A lot of English loanwords are not as useful as they might look.

Then, install a popup dictionary like 10ten Reader and an add-on like Furiganaize to insert a pronunciation guide over Chinese characters on any webpage within your web browser. This makes a huge amount of reading material on the Internet available to anyone with a basic understanding of Hiragana.

As you accumulate reading material that interests you, I would go through a crash course on grammar. I highly recommend Cure Dolly's Japanese From Scratch series. A lot of people do not like the voiceover of her videos, but the information itself is absolutely golden. They are worth going through even if you have to bump up the playback speed to make them tolerable. In my opinion, they are an excellent foundation for the actual structure and usage of Japanese that a lot of language learning materials tend to overcomplicate to the point of being misleading.

After that, if you want to learn "Kanji" (i.e.: Chinese characters as they are used to write the Japanese language), then I would:

Step #1: Write out this list of characters at least once in the order given. It might seem a bit tedious at first, but this will give you a good idea of stroke order. This is helpful for recognizing and remembering characters through collections of strokes that tend to repeat across many characters, as well as for developing a consistent writing style that works well for handwriting input on phones and computers.

Step #2: Learn the "readings" or pronunciation of characters within the context of words whenever possible. As you do so, keep in mind the meaning and pronunciation hints present within many of the characters. There are also general "rules" for how readings are used that it is good to be aware of.

Much like the use of Romaji, I would NOT spend any time trying to memorize readings separately from words or long lists of mnemonic keywords. Instead, learn native vocabulary and build context by linking them together into "word webs" and collecting sentence examples that you can see yourself using fairly regularly. If one takes a systematic approach and is consistent with it, they can learn a lot very quickly.

Also, all of the above links are free resources. You do not have to spend any money whatsoever on learning material. Having a strong personal motivation for learning and staying diligent in using it are the most important aspects.

I hope that helps.
頑張って! :cheerR:
Charbomber
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Only you can be your #1 fan!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: charbomber
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2024 @81.28 »

I hope that helps.
頑張って! :cheerR:

Thank you, thank you!

#1 Charbomber Fan!!:grin::grin::grin:

Check out my good videogames when I release them in 45 years...

DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Wishing you Happy Times when you're online!Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2024 @96.30 »

@Tommie ΘΔ I've actually been learning Spanish too! Its not world class or even conversational level but i know all the basic grammar. Ive been learning it since like, what, 6th grade or something, or was it 7th? anywho, foreign languages are all really cool, especially when they have a unique writing system to boot. Probably the best looking one is arabic.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (2)

Languages

Started by Cobra!Board ✑ ∙ Writing & Stationery

Replies: 33
Views: 3996
Last post September 19, 2023 @813.10
by Memory
Niche foreign film recommendations anyone??

Started by PinkladyBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 17
Views: 710
Last post June 18, 2024 @482.69
by Misanthropic Monster™

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi