Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @187.94 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  The Web Revival is discussed by the Hacker News community!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Web Revival is discussed by the Hacker News community!  (Read 1803 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« on: June 01, 2022 @478.90 »

I just noticed my web revival page was being discussed on "Hacker News" https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31552476

There are some interesting points made here! Definitely some misunderstanding about the nature of the web revival verses 90s aesthetics that perhaps I should clarify in my article more :ohdear: (We don't all want 90s aesthetics, thats just a style a lot of us use)

I think the thing they really miss though is that:
  • I don't think the web revival will ever be the ENTIRE internet, its just one small part of it.
  • These sites are not tryna solve any technical issues, its an artistic movement and the point is too have fun!

If you wanna give it a read though Id love to hear other peoples thoughts!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022 @531.62 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022 @526.22 »

In response to the first reply: Could very well be nostalgia, but I actually love the artsy mess of the 90s. I'm perfectly fine with a little inconvenience if it means I get something cool and different to look at!

I love going through Neocities webrings, and having no idea what I'm going to see next! I live for that exploration and unpredictability!

If you want the old web without that, Gemini, Gopher and Finger have you covered!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022 @527.48 by Cobra! » Logged

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Memory
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022 @741.05 »

I don't think the web revival will ever be the ENTIRE internet, its just one small part of it.

This is what I was thinking ever since I joined Neocities, future generations probably won't even consider making a site at all. Most people don't have a website and somehow getting them to ditch what they are currently using is unrealistic. Instead, we should allow people to keep using their services while introducing them to getting a website with a wide variety of webhosts and website makers, not just Neocities.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022 @988.91 by Ice » Logged
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022 @877.59 »

This is what I was thinking ever since I joined Neocities, future generations probably won't even consider making a site at all. Most people don't have a website and somehow getting them to ditch what they are currently using is unrealistic.

I think that depends on how much Social Media gets regulated. I can see them eventually getting regulated to the point that they can't infinitely scroll or be algorithm-ed up the wazoo to keep people addicted.

If and when that happens, I think if Gemini is anything to go by, people won't be spending so much time on them and thus won't be the centre of the internet lives, and not their main stop. They might start building websites to use as their main place on the net, or the main place to express themselves.

I dunno how realistic that is on the web, but on Gemini, while "social media" exists (Geddit and Station come to mind as examples), they're only places to check in like once a day, and people are always linking to their own capsules and share any blog posts they make. Imagine that for the web!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022 @547.49 by Cobra! » Logged

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Cy

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022 @183.39 »

That's exactly how I found my way here. Lol!
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023 @833.21 »

I just noticed my web revival page was being discussed on "Hacker News" https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31552476

There are some interesting points made here! Definitely some misunderstanding about the nature of the web revival verses 90s aesthetics that perhaps I should clarify in my article more :ohdear: (We don't all want 90s aesthetics, thats just a style a lot of us use)

Unfortunately, the HN commentariat generally judges books by covers and reads whatever they want between selected lines. I prefer not to take them too seriously; most of them are basically College Republicans who majored in computer science and some of them have an unhealthy obsession with transgender programmers. That whole place just gives me the ick.

I think the thing they really miss though is that:
  • I don't think the web revival will ever be the ENTIRE internet, its just one small part of it.
  • These sites are not tryna solve any technical issues, its an artistic movement and the point is too have fun!

I think the real problem most of these HN types have with Web Revival is that it isn't something that can be monetized or used to make venture capitalists even richer. Little websites that people host at their own expense with money they earn from their day jobs can be dirt cheap to run unless they're huge or get lots and lots of traffic, so they don't need ads or subscriptions.

Also, it's OK if the web revival isn't the entire Internet. The world wide web itself isn't the entire internet, and doing everything over HTTP or HTTPS is a mistake, IMO, but one I can understand because ports 80 and 443 are generally open on every firewall, the TCP/IP stack only has 65,536 ports, many of them are already reserved, and getting reasonably cautious sysadmins to open a port for your app is an understandably hard sell.

Nevertheless, I think a lot of stuff doesn't need to be done over HTTPS. A lot of stuff doesn't need to be web apps at all.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 59
Views: 8163
Last post March 30, 2024 @910.61
by Semper
Collecting Webgardens - Post your webgarden & greenhouse!

Started by MelooonBoard ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials

Replies: 36
Views: 15113
Last post July 14, 2024 @55.58
by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Website example page

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 2133
Last post December 16, 2021 @285.10
by cinni

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi