Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 25, 2024 - @520.23 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 32/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Hair dyeing

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hair dyeing  (Read 63 times)
Snow

❄❄❄❄❄❄

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« on: October 19, 2024 @536.24 »

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with dyeing their hair different colours. Reason I ask is because I have never had my hair coloured before, but I'm planning on having it dyed for this upcoming Halloween! Dyeing my hair is something I have wondered about for many years, but for some reason I have never made that leap towards actually getting it done until now.

I'm curious as to what other's experiences are with having their hair dyed. What can I expect? How long were you able to maintain the colour for? Does the colour tend to fade quicker or last longer depending on various things? Any tips on how I can prolong fading? For those who have done multiple hair dyes, did you find some colours turned out better compared to different colours? Oh and what are your favourite colours? So many questions!

I have an appointment booked at a nearby salon and I'm looking at first having my hair bleached (I have brown hair and need it to be blonde for the dye to look the way I want it to), and then they are going to dye my hair bright blue, along with adding some purple highlights. They reckon it's going to be a 5+ hour procedure.  :ziped: But I'm excited for it! By the time it's done I'm hoping my hair will look pretty much exactly like this:
Spoiler
[close]

We'll see how it goes. I'll update this thread once it's done!
Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2024 @788.89 »

I've not dyed my hair for a long time, but through my 20's and 30's I dyed my hair quite a bit - I've had it dyed green on one side and purple on the other, just purple, just green, henna red and pink!

What can I expect?
I think when it comes to dying, it depends a lot on the thickness of your hair and the color. My hair is naturally black, so I've always found it a lot of work to maintain the color - and the initial dying has always been a bit arduous as I have always had to bleach/peroxide the hair first which has a lot of risks and dangers to it.

I'd say though as long as you either get the bleaching done professionally or follow instructions correctly it should be fine - assuming your hair is dark ofcourse. If you're lucky enough to have naturally light hair then you may not need to bother with that part.

How long were you able to maintain the colour for?
For my hair, perm hair color typically lasts about a month before the color starts to fade a little and the roots show through - however I've never had long hair (usually faux hawks or short cropped hair styles) so I've never had to worry about roots too much as I'd usually just have to redye the entire hair after a new cut.

Does the colour tend to fade quicker or last longer depending on various things?
Actually yeah :) I find washing less, keeping your hair out of the sun and using special shampoos for dyed hair can help to reduce fading and help the color last longer. There's loads of shampoos you can get that are designed for dyed hair!

Any tips on how I can prolong fading?
See above :)

For those who have done multiple hair dyes, did you find some colours turned out better compared to different colours? Oh and what are your favourite colours? 

I've only ever used three brands - Stargazer, Directions Hair Color and Schwarzkopf LIVE - all these brands offer a lot of funky, bright lovely colors but I found Stargazer felt a bit cheap and the color would fade much quicker. I'd recommend LIVE and Directions over that.

My favorite color was probably Apple Green by Directions, that always made my hair a lovely pukey green!

Anyways hopefully I helped a bit there, good luck with your coloring experience and share pics once you've done it :D

Snow

❄❄❄❄❄❄

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2024 @536.49 »

Thanks a million for your reply, @Misanthropic Monster™ ! I've taken everything into consideration and it seems like you have lots of experience with hair dyeing, that's great!!

I'd say everything is going to be fine for the most part, as I am getting the bleaching + dye done professionally at a hair salon. I have heard  of some potential risks that come with hair bleaching, but I think the likelihood of me experiencing any adverse effects is pretty minimal. I'm also going to do a patch test about 48 hours before my appointment to be absolutely sure that I'm not going to experience any allergic reactions.

I was hoping if I get my hair dyed that the colours will last a month at least before it starts to fade, and hearing from you that your perm lasted about a month before it started to fade is reassuring. I am thinking of even making it last for the remainder of the year and I actually just last week ended up buying some Schwarzkopf LIVE (this one to be exact) from a local pharmacy which I was planning on using at home once I start to experience fading, it didn't cost much at all which is great.

If I like how this dye turns out, I've also wondered in the future if I should try lilac/light purple, pink and black, and red and blue! And I might show a close-up pic of what my hair looks like after the appointment, we'll see. ^-^

Again, thanks for your reply to my thread, it's very much appreciated! :D
Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2024 @920.81 »

I'm glad I was able to help and tbh it sounds like you know exactly what you're doing so I am sure the color will turn out great! You should share a photo of the end product if you're comfortable with that, would be very cool to see the end result - the color you bought looks like it's gonna be really vibrant and awesome!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi