Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 30 Sep 2026 - @741.55
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: It's only life! :dog: Guild Events: 14: animals
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Earth & Interests
| |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | |-+  Gene Wilder or Johnny Depp


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Gene Wilder or Johnny Depp  (Read 1851 times)
b̷a̷̷t̷̷h̷̷t̷̷u̷̷b̷
Casual Poster
*
View Profile


b̷a̷̷t̷̷h̷̷t̷̷u̷̷b̷
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
No Snake But Still LiquidJoined 2024!
« on: Winter, 03 Dec 2024 @196 » Embed

 Hey guys. I have a question for you: ‘Johnny Depp or Gene Wilder’. If you know what I’m talking about, great! If not, I’m asking if you prefer the Jonny Depp Or Gene Wilder Willy Wonka movies.

Logged

b̷a̷̷t̷̷h̷̷t̷̷u̷̷b̷
Memory
Guest

« Reply #1 on: Winter, 07 Dec 2024 @810 » Embed

Gene Wilder

Logged
soft-star
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: Winter, 08 Jan 2025 @676 » Embed

Gene and it's not even a competition. He strikes the right balance of warm yet sinister. The understated comedy works a lot better for me than Depp's cold, heavy-handed wackiness. Even beyond who plays Wonka, the 1971 film washes the 2005 one in basically every category. I think, even though most people have seen the OG, they take it for granted and don't actually notice or appreciate its subtle comedic brilliance. The Burton film just can't compare.

Logged

appleAlc
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


Laid my son on the bier, burned the wreath
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: Winter, 08 Jan 2025 @698 » Toggle Font Embed

Beyond a general disdain for Depp, Wilder's performance is head and shoulders above Depp's at conveying such a creature of a man. soft-star (may I call you Chey?) is absolutely correct generally about the films here. I think the way that we often perceive works through pop culture osmosis is oft a disservice to the works themselves. E.g. it shocks me how little people think of the politics of Waters's films and just see them as Shocking.

Logged

~~~~You can never tell the truth, but you can tell something that sounds like it~~~~
(she/her)
garystu
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: Winter, 14 Jan 2025 @361 » Toggle Font Embed

- Original books
- Timothee Chalamet prequel film.

Now for the options OP cares about:
- Gene Wilder brings a deadpan to the role I enjoy, and I generally like his movie more than the Depp version.

- I hate Depp, but I don't think his version is bad or devoid of charm. It hits different notes. I think the adaptation changes to Mike TV were smart and good actually. It is my least favourite version, but its like a 3/10. Mid to Bad.

Like, I hate Depp. Misogynist grifter I hope his career eats dirt. To be clear, the original Dahl book is very racist and Dahl also sucks. Book Oompa Loompas Bad. I guess its not a contest of most problematic to me, but I can see Book Oompa Loompas being a huge turn off.

My formative vision of Willy Wonka is the Quentin Blake illustrated version. The illustrations featured Willy Wonka as a lanky magician, a visual none of the live action versions have come close to recreating for me. You couldn't do a 1/1 with the illustrations in live action without it looking a bit silly, so I understand the need for compromise. Timothe Chalamet is the star of a prequel thing, so he doesn't need to match the exact energy. Gene Wilder also does his own thing and it does work on its own merits, but its not the same. Johnny Depp is like the Tumblr Sexyman version of the character, very much targeting the demographic of teenagers who found Depp smexy. I can see Wonka as a Tumblr Sexyman, I don't think its an inherently flawed idea. It is more charmless when intentionally written by a studio rather than a natural fandom bubble. also what about the old man fuckers, burton. what about the

Also, none of the adaptations include the pointy goatee the Blake illustrations sported. This is very important and outrageous that its missing, 0/10.

Logged

gazafunds.com | Daily click for Palestine

https://i.ibb.co/rpqMJyT/sig-larry.png

xoxoxoxoxoxo
Signature Graphic ^^^ Credits
[close]
xoxoxoxoxoxo
https://i.ibb.co/pRPNJjC/f31-1.png
https://i.ibb.co/3mtcK4s/8831-mine-3.gif
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe