Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 24, 2024 - @213.24 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 53/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Writers Corner
| | |-+  Zines and Zine Making!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Zines and Zine Making!  (Read 2278 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: June 20, 2022 @15.36 »

Zines!

Last week I made a one page mini zine full of random things that Iv never put online. It was super fun to make and Im enjoying the weird mix of digital and non digital that a printed zine has. I actualy made a few prints of it myself and gave them to my favourite family members at an event over the weekend and its really nice to have something physical to give people as a gift.

ANYWAY, long story short, Its something Id like to do more of in the future, and maybe some of you enjoy it tooooo!
Are there any zines you have collected? Do you make them? Do you like printed or digital ones more? Talk about zines!

P.S. This was the guide I followed for a single page zine. I guess there are also other guides too for bigger zines! If you want to grab a copy of the zine I did, it'll be on sale at the Glasgow Zine Fest (and here) Thanks to Emreed who is super cool for handlinging printing and running the stand n everything :dl:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022 @291.13 »

zineeeeessss!! there was actually a zine fair i planned to go to yesterday, but i slept in and by the time i wouldve made it there it wouldve been over >_>

congrats on getting your zine displayed at the glasgow fest!! hope it is a great success! I also haven't heard of plaintext distro so im looking forward to browsing thru the catalogue :omg:

last year (i think) i made a zine as part of a compilation with a few other artists, on the topic of video games! it's out of stock now but here is the product page. i still have a stack of just my own copy that is chilling in a corner. :p it was my first time working with risographs and i would love to make more in the future!! i had an idea to make a zine from my collection of old web graphics somedaaaayy

i also have a bit of a zine collection! one day i'll make a list, but most recently i got some from https://nicholeshinn.com/ !

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022 @445.91 »

Txtbooks is a soooooper cool site and all their zines are works of art (They are actually a lil intimidating..). Next time Im going to NY I need to remember to order a bunch so I can pick them up!

last year (i think)
The one with the 3d world? Thats February 2021.. ooph.. it feels like 10 years ago :ohdear:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
xX_irkeneonz_Xx
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022 @632.51 »

Saving those lol

I've been tempted to try to make a Zine for awhile but it probably wouldn't be something to sell, and would probably be along the lines of a digital zine or something like that.

Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022 @812.07 »

We're making a zine in a Discord group but honestly none of us have ever done such a thing as far as I know so I have no idea how it will turn out. Not only with the page setting. I'll have to email local companies for quotas and the process is all very unknown to me at this state. I thought digital version for free and printed with the price of printing + shipping is probably the most reasonable way to go.

Personally I only have 1 zine and it's digital. Every time I've watched the process of making one from the sidelines, it has turned into a mess with organizers giving up or someone running with the money. But those are group projects of course.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023 @737.36 »

I'll have to email local companies for quotas and the process is all very unknown to me at this state. I thought digital version for free and printed with the price of printing + shipping is probably the most reasonable way to go.

Isn't the entire point of a zine to hand-copy them without a printing company involved? The reason people made zines is because they were poor and/or their topics were so radical/taboo nobody wanted to print them.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023 @759.34 »

Isn't the entire point of a zine to hand-copy them without a printing company involved? The reason people made zines is because they were poor and/or their topics were so radical/taboo nobody wanted to print them.

There a big distinction between a printing company and a publisher. A printing company is like a Xerox machine or a mimeograph - you might only do 100 copies, but there's still a cost involved (When I did my zine, I only did 10 copies and my printing company was a weird little shop run by an Indian man who laughed a lot, it cost me 8 euro!); a publisher is a WHOLE other story, and most zines are about not having a publisher as you say :wink:

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023 @763.10 »

There a big distinction between a printing company and a publisher. A printing company is like a Xerox machine or a mimeograph - you might only do 100 copies, but there's still a cost involved (When I did my zine, I only did 10 copies and my printing company was a weird little shop run by an Indian man who laughed a lot, it cost me 8 euro!); a publisher is a WHOLE other story, and most zines are about not having a publisher as you say :wink:

Aye, fair. Where I am copy shops and printshops are practically nonexistant, so I forgot about them.
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023 @838.03 »

I don't have a place I could just walk to or anything, I'll probably need to send them the pdf. The amount of copies is probably going to be like 20, lol
Absentmind

i love surfing the world widened web

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023 @558.67 »

necroing this thread, Zines are so fun, I made one in my foundation year discussing things I found interesting in graphic design. I left it in class because my teacher wanted to show other student it. This thread has made me want to make another!! It's bit sad really, the grim realisation as a Graphic designer is, is that the world is very corporate and it's killed my passion a bit. But seeing these post posts has given me a boost!

levya
Full Member ⚓︎

just a little creature (she/her)

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Joined 2023!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023 @656.83 »

I've been wanting to make a zine or two for a while now but I just haven't gotten around to it. maybe I finally will after seeing this thread, it seems like such a fun way to be creative!

I'm gonna try using the electric zine maker by alienmelon on itch.io to make mine. this tool looks like it's good for making digital zines in a printable format, and the interface is very early 2000s internet aesthetic which I enjoy~

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2023 @723.15 »

I've been wanting to make a zine or two for a while now but I just haven't gotten around to it. maybe I finally will after seeing this thread, it seems like such a fun way to be creative!

I'm gonna try using the electric zine maker by alienmelon on itch.io to make mine. this tool looks like it's good for making digital zines in a printable format, and the interface is very early 2000s internet aesthetic which I enjoy~

The Electric Zine maker is so much fun!!! I've made a few zines with it here. If you're interested in putting yours online, there's an HTML converter tool here that will help you turn them into interactive flippable books online:
https://jeremyoduber.itch.i:ha:js-zine

JackFrost
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!BUG!?!Joined 2022!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2023 @814.61 »

I want to make a anime/manga magazine since there arent any where i live sadly. Good idea? Idk how i would actually get stuff to put in there though... Can i just put chapters of stuff I like in there along with articles i write? Is that legal?

Coffee addict, Gunpla builder, SMT fan.
levya
Full Member ⚓︎

just a little creature (she/her)

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Joined 2023!
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2023 @878.94 »

The Electric Zine maker is so much fun!!! I've made a few zines with it here. If you're interested in putting yours online, there's an HTML converter tool here that will help you turn them into interactive flippable books online:
https://jeremyoduber.itch.i:ha:js-zine

ooh neat, I really like your cat twitter zine! I hadn't thought of putting my zines online but now I really want to, so thanks for sharing the html converter tool. :grin:

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2023 @214.16 »

Thanks, and no problem! I'd love to see any that you make if you ever decide to share them.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I am new to making sites and I want some tips to improve.

Started by Icey!Board ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 4
Views: 1762
Last post December 14, 2021 @853.48
by Icey!
php heck: making a search engine

Started by cinniBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 2
Views: 1469
Last post February 22, 2022 @256.30
by ellievoyyd
Yesterweb Zine - Issue 02 - Websites as an Act of Creativity - OUT NOW!!

Started by sadnessBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 4
Views: 1496
Last post April 27, 2022 @745.66
by Dojidave

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi