Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @396.57 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Site tour guides?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Site tour guides?  (Read 622 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: December 18, 2022 @903.54 »

This was a concept I came up with and implemented today! Traditionally sites have site-maps, a site map is a list of every page on the site to help people find what they need. However I never really felt that site-maps suit web revival sites.. but at the same time I needed a way to help people explore my site for the first time (particularly if they are less experimental or don't understand the concept right away)

So how about site tours - basically a short guide to a site that lets you bring people on a journey through your pages and lets you give some background info about things; like your on a tour of a historic location.

I drafted up a quick guide here for my site: https://thoughts.melonking.net/guides/melonkingnet-tourist-guide :ozwomp:

Lemmy know what you think, also lemmy know if there's anyway my guide could be improved or how the overall consept could be improved.. Im sure theres lots of ways, I had 2 hours sleep :omg:k:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022 @869.31 »

You know, I really like this idea. I understand the reasoning for it. I think you implemented it really well. I enjoyed reading it, and it enabled me to appreciate your website more.

That said, I have mixed feelings about this. It reminds me a bit of like explaining a joke. I'm the first to need a joke explained to me, so I appreciate someone doing so... That's not a good example.

A better example is the aspect of art and the creator and the message. When does the work stop belonging to the artist and take on a life of its own via interpretation. I'm really big on personal interpretation and the message rather than the messenger.

I don't think I'm speaking very coherently. Let me try to sum up what I'm saying: When, if ever, does saying too much become a problem? Is less more? And while I'm sure it depends on the person, perhaps discussing some examples of different situations might help one decide.

Hope this makes sense. But again, I liked it a lot.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022 @91.85 »

I don't think I'm speaking very coherently.
You are perfectly coherent! Your actually the first person who understood why I made this topic :grin: (at least the first who has replied).

This question of mystery and how much mystery to reveal is the big concern I had about this idea. Some people love mystery, but others dont - I wanted to try and make something that allowed both to get a bit of what they wanted (but maybe Im trying to please everyone :tongue: )

I have no idea when too much clarification is too much, but thats what im trying to figure out here - so thank you for seeing that and pointing it out - the fact that you see it too means that its a real issue and not just in my head! :ziped: Im always torn between my site being a resource, an artwork and a homepage; figuring out that balance is always a work in progress.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022 @120.06 »

Some people love mystery, but others don't
:ozwomp:

MYSTERY

IS

ATTRACTIVE!!! :transport: :4u: :loved:[/size]
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Best way to have a 2 column site?

Started by ObspogonBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 3
Views: 1918
Last post February 13, 2023 @208.53
by fLaMEd
How do you prefer to keep your site organized (or not)

Started by NightdriftBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 26
Views: 5755
Last post January 26, 2024 @915.29
by Paprika
POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 4343
Last post January 11, 2024 @150.49
by xXWebMasterXx_Gina

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi