Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 27, 2024 - @177.71 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 77/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Anti-Piracy measures in games

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anti-Piracy measures in games  (Read 838 times)
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: August 11, 2022 @956.05 »

I've been going down a rabbit hole, I suppose you could call it, of games that have creative anti-piracy measures, how they can detect piracy, and what they do when it does.

Things like Mega Drive and SNES games trying to save memory to addresses that the original carts don't have, but copies are very likely to.

And like how GTA IV gives you a permanent drunk camera, and Batman Arkham Asylum not letting you glide.

I think my favourite, though, is Puggsy on the Mega Drive.

What anti-piracy measures do you guys know about and what are your favourites?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023 @650.35 by Cobra! » Logged

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Kutan

Chitter Critter

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022 @155.31 »

I love old anti-piracy stuff. The ones that don't tell the player that they've tripped the copy protection are my favorite. I'm a big fan of Earthbound, and it's got some pretty mean copy protection. It's got the standard region/sram checks, and you can bypass those pretty easily. And if you do, the game will let you play, but makes the enemy encounters way, way higher to make the game super frustrating. And the best part: if you actually make it all the way to the final boss, the game freezes... and it deletes all your saves. :tongue:

This is my favorite resource for this stuff, it's pretty comprehensive!
https://tcrf.net/Category:Games_with_anti-piracy_methods

wris
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Safe when used as directed.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022 @346.75 »

My favourite is Ultima VII: The Black Gate, where all NPCs spout spouting nonsense versions of famous quotes instead of their actual dialogue if you answer a series of questions incorrectly at the beginning.

Close second would be Simon the Sorcerer which asks you which icons are on which pages of the manual, just because the manual was so nice and the pictures were so charming.

Third place goes to Uplink, which gets you to enter whichever value is at certain X/Y coordinates on a really nicely printed card that comes with the game. I'm talkin' high-GSM black card, embossed lettering. Must've cost more to get those printed than they would have lost in sales by letting everyone pirate the game.
CyberCat2000
Casual Poster

Astral Dragon Mech Pilot

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: cybercat2000

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022 @991.67 »

I think one of my favorite anti-piracy measures has to be the one found in the DS version of Michael Jackson: The Experience. If the game sees you're playing a pirated copy, it... blasts vuvuzelas over the music. Kind of a fun way to joke about the 2010 World Cup's use of them. (Oh, and it bit-crunches the music and makes the notes untappable, rendering the game unplayable)

First runner up is La Abadía del Crimen's. When you reach a certain point, it'll check the files for tampering. If successful, you'll hear a rendition of "Ave Maria". If not... you'll get bombarded with "PIRATA PIRATA PIRATA (and so on)", and the game locks.

Second runner up is Mr. Gimmick's. Much like La Abadía del Crimen, once you reach a certain point, the game will check the code (in this case, the intro code). Playing a pirated copy will net you a screen that says "BLACK HOLE". Quite silly out of context, but as it turns out, it's actually a callback to another game from the same developer studio, Atlantis No Nazo, which infamously had a trap room where you fall to your death that just says "BLACK HOLE!" in it

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022 @685.54 »

The most egregious example of this I can think of was when I used to have Prince of Persia on the old Macintosh PC we owned (before it was called Apple). Every five levels or so, you'd be taken to a special level that had potion jars with letters all over the floor. You would be instructed to look on page so-and-so and paragraph so-and-so of the manual, and you had to drink the letters that were shown there. If you got the wrong ones, you'd lose a heart and eventually end up dying (since there were multiple jars you had to drink). It was a weird kind of way they chose to incorporate it into the gameplay, and it wasn't included in other versions of the game.

One that I'm not sure was intentional or not, was when I first played the original Sims back in 2000. My dad had somehow gotten a hold of a pirated copy of the game, and there was NO SOUND whatsoever. I have no idea if that was meant to happen, or something went wrong when the files were moved over, but I played hours of that game without hearing anything, and when we finally got the full version I was so happy to hear all the little noises it made!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

the era of rpgmaker games

Started by cinniBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 27
Views: 4087
Last post August 16, 2023 @267.22
by Riqo
newgrounds' art games section

Started by DarmodejBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 0
Views: 1165
Last post February 03, 2022 @906.33
by Darmodej
I'm addicted to sandbox games

Started by Icey!Board ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 6
Views: 1535
Last post February 22, 2023 @523.34
by Guest

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi