Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @155.19 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 43/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games
| | | |-+  What decade were you born in?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: What decade were you born in?
2010s
2000s
1990s
1980s
1970s or earlier

Author Topic: What decade were you born in?  (Read 1965 times)
« on: September 04, 2022 @257.44 »

When I joined this forum, I expected it to be filled with a bunch of Millennials and Gen Xers nostalgic for their childhood and teenage years. But as I read through your introductions, there seem to be a lot more younger people who are here to appreciate the Web 1.0 era they missed out on the first time around.

So I'm just curious how the demographic actually skews. It'd be funny to find out that I'm one of the oldest people here, but I'm sure some of you must be those cool Gen X kids that I always wished I was. I weighted the poll toward the younger generations, so if you're a Baby Boomer please speak up.

I was born in '87, making me a mid-range millennial. I grew up in the '90s but get to pretend I have a claim to the '80s.
Frost Sheridan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Dragon of the Digital Plane

StatusCafe: frostsheridan
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022 @579.81 »

i was born in the late 90s, and i spent my childhood browsing random stuff on the web and hanging out on forums and in IRC chatrooms. i missed out on the personal site heyday of the late 90s, but i still got to experience the tail end of the personal web, and the desire to be a part of it never left me. i remember making terrible websites using microsoft word 2000 (!!!) and later real HTML after i found one of those teach-yourself-HTML4 books at the local library.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022 @582.52 by Frost Sheridan » Logged

[ [ where delusions dwell . . . ] ]

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022 @590.00 »

I was born in 2001, making me 21 at the time of writing this. :pc:
I fortunately grew up just as the old web was making its exit, so I caught a glimpse of it here and there in my childhood. I spent most of my formative years no-lifing on forums. But that was when forums were already dying.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022 @591.48 »

Excuse me this poll is discriminating against kids like me who were born in the 2020s :ziped:

That said, I think its really important for a community like this to have a mix of young and old; I hope there is a forum granny out there as well as forum tweens; it's important to break that bubble that groups that are too similar create.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
manpaint
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022 @689.79 »

I was born in 2000s. I believe I witnessed the tail end of web 1.0.

I don't like how boring and sterile the web is nowadays. I like browsing the Yesterweb as pretty muvh you encounter as a soul.

I don't think I was ever exposed to things like Geocities or MySpace, but now I see why people missed platforms like these.

DJoftheCoven
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Eng. Esp. Fra. 한

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022 @787.72 »

I've mentioned this before but I was born in 2003. Everybody born in the 90s and earlier thinks I should be a fetus right now lol. I'm 18 years old (turning 19 in december)! Pretty young, sure, but still technically an adult in the United States.

I was one of those kids who got lucky enough (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) to have access to the internet really young. My formative memories of the web were mostly on dress-up game sites and kids roleplay sites like animal jam, petpet park, and at some point pixie hollow. I was also suuuper active on the pokemon website back when it had games and little bits of fun content for the chil'ren. Personal sites only exist in the very back of my memory--stuff that I'd almost forgotten about entirely until I started looking up some names on the wayback machine. It's a sort of surreal experience to see those websites locked up in a perfectly-preserved museum state when I remember, even if a little fuzzily, what it was like to just stumble across them on total accident and spend hours reading through as much content as I could understand.

I really want to give that magical feeling back to the generation after me. The internet they've been forced into is worse in just about every single goddamn way except for loading times.

CyberCat2000
Casual Poster

Astral Dragon Mech Pilot

StatusCafe: cybercat2000

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022 @792.26 »

I was born in the mid 90s! I admit, I MIGHT be one of the first "kids who were too young for the Internet", having first gotten on in 2000 or so. As such, I was able to witness the days of personal websites like you'd see on GeoCities, as well as discover random webpages (and the occasional forum) via the Yahoo directory, as well as playing random Flash games on sites like Shockwave.com, NotDoppler, Neopets, and kids channel websites. I one time even made a very simple webpage via the GeoCities page editor. I kind of miss these days, admittedly, which is why I'm in the retro web revival communities!

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022 @43.75 »

I was born in the 1994. We got our first computer in 2001, with Windows ME. I experience Web 1.0 in most of it's glory. Chatting online on AOL, sending emails. Making websites with GIFs and images everywhere. I loved it!

I'm very happy to see the website aesthetics make a comeback, and the younger generation is carrying the torch!

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
wodaro
Full Member ⚓︎

I should be drawing

iMood: wodaro

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022 @675.36 »

I was born in 1997, so I wasn't really aware of a lot of early web stuff, but I do remember spending a lot of time on Gaia Online roleplay forums and various flash game sites. I also used to build websites with friends for random clubs we would make. I remember we made one to host my friend's naruto fanfiction on! I got to experience the web before modern social media, and I do miss the sort of adventure and exploration it used to hold and encourage. Places like this forum, the Yesterweb, the broader web revival movement/indieweb are doing a lot of important work to make the internet feel like it's still a space for people, rather than just brands and corporations.

Absentmind

i love surfing the world widened web

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2022 @595.13 »

Born in the 90s, saw a little bit of geocities when I was V young because my uncle had a computer. The 2000s were me playing runescape, going on newgrounds' flash portal and browsing on forums. I always find it odd that something as simple as enjoying a "crappy" flash game or a choppy forum discussing whatever would become a nostalgic delight.

I always wonder what GEN Z or later will be nostalgic about. I guess things like vine and facebook when it eventually dies

NullCertifier

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022 @317.50 »

I was born in 1990. My first conscious memories involve playing Super Mario Brothers on my dad's NES. Throughout my early years I could divide my life into different periods around the progression of Nintendo consoles that came out. NES for the innocent early childhood era, and then the Super Nintendo. Life and video games both grew more complicated, perhaps I had to do little more, in life and in the games, but it wasn't a drag because things were also getting more interesting.

I didn't watch TV quite so much. My mom came from a very conservative background - my mom and dad both really - but her family had an overwhelming suspicion of popular culture and entertainment, which I have never observed to the same degree in my dad's family (They have their own problems with their relation to media and culture, easy marks for Fox News lol). My mom tried to limit TV to educational programming for the most part. Which wasn't all bad, I dig the hell out of PBS to this day, which I could discuss at length. A lot of the TV I remember as a kid was the stuff my dad would watch in the evenings, and I'd sometimes pretend to be asleep on the couch so I could watch it without my mom worrying about it being a bad influence. I saw Star Trek: The Next Generation when it was new. The intro is deeply burned into my memory - "Space: The Final Frontier..." and so on... I think it was one of my dad's favorite shows. I was always scared shitless by the Borg lol.

I have hazy memories of DOS, my dad as well as my grandpa on my mom's side were both IT guys. But I didn't really start getting into computers proper til the Windows 95 era. I definitely remember that dial-up modem sound lol. I wasn't around for the early web so much. I really started getting comfortable browsing the web on early 2000s fansites. The kinds with forums like this one. I was active on BZPower for Bionicle (Lego nerds here anyone?), Gamefaqs, a couple Sonic The Hedgehog fan communities which I can't remember the names of, and same for Teen Titans. That's pretty much the Web before Myspace as I experienced it.

Anyhow, this is far from the full story, but I think it's a good sampling of generational touchstones to kind of explain who I am and where I'm coming from. Nice to meet all of you fellow travelers through space and time :smile:
springhand
Casual Poster

heheheheheheheheh…

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022 @430.76 »

To add to the statistics, I was born in the mid-2000s, but even if I had been born earlier my experience wouldn’t have been like what you’d expect*. Here Internet access became wild spread much later compared to, say, the U.S, which means the entire history of our relationship to the web is different - I’m not sure if the act of creating a page on Geocities or going onto Myspace was ever a thing here at all, much less prevalent. Yet I’m still here, so you can say the older web appeals regardless of the perceiver’s age or nationality 🍻

*Which involves Geocities, Myspace, blinkies, dollz, etc. I read a really relatable article/blog post someone wrote about only portion of people experienced those yet they are the apparent mainstream, but I can’t remember where I read it >< Please message me with the link to it if you happen to know! Thank you in advance 🙏
Oppositekeith
Casual Poster

dont careful with that axe eugene

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2022 @220.24 »

didnt really have much access to the internet until i got my first phone at 13 years old so i missed out on a lot and wouldnt know about much about old internet until my quarantine days where i discovered projects like flashpoint through a friend and sites like newgrounds. it only grew from there and soon enough got me to discover spacehey and neocities and now here.

Deckade (Tolo)
Casual Poster

Feel free to email me and be pen pals :)

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2022 @415.67 »

as 2002er my experiences with creative spaces on the net were large flash game websites like miniclip, armor games, kongregate, gamefudge, youtube channels, and vsauces DONG series. I guess I caught the tail end of the personal web but there was still much change even after social media became the focus. I witnessed people progressively become much more self conscious on social media (not commenting meaningful things under posts) (not using black and white or overly edited photos anymore) and there is much more of an effort on having a cohesive style than early 2010s social media, which i think is more of an act of limitation than something creative.

It's great to hear input from people of all eras of the internet as it gives us a better sense of how different iterations of the internet make us feel and what works and what doesn't. Also I love hearing you all regale about the expansive mysterious, and incomprehensible beast that was the internet circa 1.0
Neonriser
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Creator of Nett

StatusCafe: neonriser
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022 @719.99 »

I was born in the 1990s, a time when computers became more accessible with casual users. This was evident with operating systems such as Microsoft 95 and 98, which I recall using during my toddler years.

It was also a time when Netscape and Internet Explorer were the biggest internet browsers, and it was also a time when anyone could make their own websites as long as they had a Geocities account. But I didn't know that, for I was only a child...

Web design is my passion!

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 35
Views: 3184
Last post April 10, 2024 @598.32
by Misanthropic Monster™
Why do you watch YouTube?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 55
Views: 5217
Last post April 10, 2024 @574.35
by Misanthropic Monster™
Underappreciated YouTube Channels You Want to Share

Started by GuestBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 48
Views: 3845
Last post April 11, 2024 @823.52
by Misanthropic Monster™

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi