Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 18, 2024 - @851.12 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 61/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  © ∙ Music Room
| | |-+  Oddly specific bands / styles of music you like?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Oddly specific bands / styles of music you like?  (Read 379 times)
McMagnetic
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Tell your mom, tell your dad, we were su-per-rad

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: magneticbat

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« on: March 05, 2024 @717.23 »

OK, this might just be me, but I love ska and punk music SPECIFICALLY from the Orange County area in the 90s...
I was wondering if anyone else had, for any reason, a weird bias for music from a certain area in a certain timeframe....

Smile, Mephiskapheles loves you.

schiavona
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Let's get real weird with it!

StatusCafe: schiavona
iMood: schiavona

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024 @80.13 »

While I'm not sure if this is specific enough, I'm a big fan of European Power Metal from between the years of 1997 to 2011. Earlier than that and I don't think the genre has really sort of found its own voice, and later than that and things start to get really silly (not that I MIND the silliness, I just don't think it plays to the strengths of the genre.)

I love ska and punk music SPECIFICALLY from the Orange County area in the 90s...

What exactly about this particular era appeals to you the most, if you don't mind me asking? (I don't know anything about Ska!)

<>|==================> Oh look I found my cool sword!
Seraphim
Casual Poster

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024 @336.54 »

Hopefully this isn't TOO specific, I was reminded how much I love Revolutionary Girl Utena's OST. This was spawned by a scene in the later season of Steven Universe (spoilers beware) that has a killer piano in the middle. I'm not sure what this style of music is called to be honest, but it captures this sense of grand dramatics and elegance that is very specifically 90's shojo anime. But listening through the OST again, I had forgotten just how much of a rock slant it has. Here's the OST if folks are curious.

:drat:
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024 @697.36 »

One of my favourite little sub-genres is Koreanized new jack swing in k-pop! An example from the original swing of popularity would be I'm Your Girl by S.E.S. and a more recent example is Ring Ring Ring by my favourite group Verivery. I don't know exactly what it is, but something about the way the genre is, probably to do with the beat, is just so fun and makes me so energetic! It's also very earwormy as well, and danceable, which help.

"As she realized what might have been, she grew to be thankful for what was."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

McMagnetic
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Tell your mom, tell your dad, we were su-per-rad

iMood: magneticbat

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024 @763.34 »

What exactly about this particular era appeals to you the most, if you don't mind me asking? (I don't know anything about Ska!)

I really really enjoy the stories a lot of the bands had, like how they had formed or they kind of nutty stuff they got into, and also the fact that they were all just pals (with some exceptions hahahaha)
Music-wise, they were all really hyper and goofy. Bands like The Aquabats (my favorite!!!), Jeffries Fan Club, and Pocket Lent all had this super unserious, fun energy and it was so great. The brass was crazy cuz most horn players were highschoolers in marching band, and the singers were all horrible at singing!!! it was great!1!!!!!

Smile, Mephiskapheles loves you.

Nikodile
Casual Poster ⚓︎

loosey goosey

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024 @792.53 »

I always liked gimmick metal bands like Nekrogoblikon (goblin metal) and Rumahoy (pirate metal). Something really fun about having an exaggerated persona in a metal band.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Freeware music goodies!

Started by phodicaeBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 5
Views: 2092
Last post February 13, 2022 @285.71
by easy_breezy
Free Hosting for Music - Cybergrunge.net

Started by ellievoyydBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 7
Views: 2052
Last post February 15, 2022 @110.05
by ellievoyyd
Uploading music?

Started by LimeAngelMudzyBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 1
Views: 968
Last post June 24, 2022 @692.11
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi