Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 06 Oct 2026 - @292.66
Forum Activity: Three Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: Love is not possession  :4u: Guild Events: weekly zine jam 15: dreams
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Writing
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Books & Stationery
| | |-+  ✍︎ ∙ Post ur Writing & Webcomics
| | | |-+  "alright, we get it, LLMs suck"


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: "alright, we get it, LLMs suck"  (Read 838 times)
rnottelovesowls
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


if i don’t respond it’s because i’m eepy
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: rnottelovesowls
iMood: rnottelovesowls
RSS: RSS
OS: Windows 7

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« on: Summer, 15 Aug 2026 @197 » Toggle Font Embed

i grow tired of both seeing and hearing people talk about generative AI, LLMs, whatever. at the risk of sounding LIKE an LLM: this horse isn't just dead, it's a puddle of glue. and i find no joy in beating whatever's left of it. so, i made a new blog post to say, "i'm tired of this". if you too are getting genAI fatigue, i hope it resonates with you

https://rnotte.art/alright-we-get-it-llms-suck/

excerpt:
"i'm tired of this stupid technology being the only thing anyone wants to talk about anymore. AI this, AI that. can't go anywhere without seeing those eyesore AI flyers. can't ask anyone about anything without getting the "just ask claude" response. can't avoid unwanted "AI features" in apps and programs that we rely on for work. can't look at any new piece of art without assuming it was AI-generated. i'm so sick of it all. i will never use it in my work, i will never like it, and i will never humor the idea that it provides anything useful to humans."

Logged

RNOTTÉ
https://bear-images.sfo2.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/rnotte/img_7455.gif
IndigoGolem
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


What's personal text?
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS
OS: Debian

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
squeezed gentlyVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
« Reply #1 on: Summer, 15 Aug 2026 @206 » Embed

I got to this point in April and decided i'm done caring, after reading a couple of related articles from Brennan Kenneth. I thought i was done spending my time and effort thinking about it, and then i keep finding myself pulled into conversations like this. Oops.

I hope the last thing i have to say about artificial intelligence can be this quote:
Quote
I think if you are pro-LLM you should shut the fuck up about the LLM discourse and stick to doing cool stuff to prove to others that your viewpoint is workable, and if you are anti-LLM you should shut the fuck up about the LLM discourse and stick to doing cool stuff to prove to others that your viewpoint is workable.

I wonder to what degree hating complaining about AI is replacing hating AI itself. But i agree with you, i think. Everything that needed said has been said, and so has a lot more besides. I have nothing to gain or to contribute, so i'm done with this topic. (Or, again, i keep trying to be and then saying stuff like this anyway.)

I don't want to complain about AI. I want to live my life and do cool stuff. Make my little projects, write my little blog.

Logged

-Indigo, Anve Ozo

Artifact Swap: Spiritual Stone of Firee  unus, pluriumMelonPaintMick Jagger's mouthPuzzlingCreampuffNoid2 coinsThe fingerOdd Creaturesnail buddy
sammowammo
Newbie ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW

⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Classified SamJoined 2025!
« Reply #2 on: Summer, 15 Aug 2026 @270 » Embed

This is what I'm saying. AI training on amazing human gold to produce slop is at the back of my mind, but I just want to ignore it and go back to just creativity! I think that's what most of us also want to do here, right?

I'm probably gonna try to move on with my life though and try to just keep out of complaining. I'm wondering though, how do you people cope with this????? I'd be interested

Logged
chilblands
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


make it happen or regret
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2026!
« Reply #3 on: Summer, 15 Aug 2026 @300 » Toggle Font Embed

I think it's because you look at BearBlog's discovery feed. I find the feed VERY repetitive, a "hot topic" always repeat after a few months and stick around for a few weeks. Ironically, I could say the with "stop posting about AI" posts. Another post prompting people to stop being repetitive while also feeding into the discourse rather than taking the initiative to change directions.

Also, I am inclined to disagree about stopping AI discourses, especially posts that further educate how AI or techbros are taking it in the future. I like keeping myself informed because I don't regularly look at the news or scroll social media. I highly recommend you to look at other blog feed discovery like Bubbles.Town OR curate your own feed via RSS. I do agree certain conversations are getting old. We need to stop beating the dead horse.

Logged

https://chilblands.neocities.org/files/horseicon.gif it's gettin cold in here...

Artifact Swap: oh heck it has a bombGarden snailCursor!Shocked SharaDevil HeartI met Dan Q on Melonland!PurbymargiesimpSunny the PuppyWhite pawnJIJIjiggle~
Rubbereon
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
OS: Linux 🐧

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
NoSmoking!Hope, the silliest ink kittayyVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #4 on: Summer, 15 Aug 2026 @480 » Embed

For a hot minute I thought you were tired of the discourse surrounding ai (which is a sentiment I'm somewhat against, ai will affect everybody in the long run, it's kinda like being 'apolitical' it doesn't help), but after reading all of it it seems you hate people bringing up ai in casual discussions like the "just use Claude" dude.

I haven't had that happen to me really much (especially online, and thankfully not even sites like stackexchange humor the suggestion, you ask a question you get an answer), but I do know someone who brought up ChatGPT in the middle of a discussion once because he uses it, but i told him to use a free ai instead (Basically the same kind of evangelism to keep people away from chrome and google by telling them to use firefox and duckduckgo instead, did a lot of that) and I think it would be better for him to just not pay openai whatsoever because they are dastardly evil. More recently, he brought ai again in the middle of a discussion and said he switched from chatgpt to claude another paid ai.

You can't fix stupid, although i guess anthropic is significantly more ethical than open ai (Not sure if I can talk about it here, so I'll just say that you can research the topic yourself, but it's true), so it's an umprovement I reckon.

« Last Edit: Summer, 15 Aug 2026 @489 by Rubbereon » Logged

https://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20695.gifFuzzy fwiendhttps://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20696.gifhttps://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20697.gif
https://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/penguin.gifLinux userhttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/penguin.gif
↓ All my web profiles are available on this website ↓
https://fursona.directory/@rubbereon :goL:
https://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/tabs.gifhttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/idiotsticker.pnghttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/iblockads.gif

Artifact Swap: pearl yappin kittayGreen SpiffoJust CheeseCourage smiley
fairyrune
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


we live to make the impossible possible!
⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
iMood: fairyrune
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Dino FossilJoined 2025!
« Reply #5 on: Summer, 15 Aug 2026 @703 » Toggle Font Embed

this happens with everything under the sun. the horse is beat, but nobody listens. that's exactly why it's important to keep going. it's vital to everybody's health that we discuss regulations, renewable energy, land use, propaganda, etc. and that it's actually taken on board. to do that, look to our forefathers, the ones who helped fight for votes, for minimum wages, for free education.

that also means taking a break. burnout is real, and treating it doesn't mean we stop caring or stop fighting, just that we are humans who need time to recover after high stress activity, as this sort of thing tends to be. i myself will never stop talking about it even if it's "been beaten to death", because that's precisely what big corps want me to do. i will take moments for myself, however, and recover. i can't be a good advocate for a cause i believe in if i'm so frazzled i can't put things into words anymore.

i definitely agree with the frustration though. i wish people cared enough about others, i wish people understood the dangers it poses... if they don't yet, i'll keep trying when i'm able. i wish i didn't have to.


I think it's because you look at BearBlog's discovery feed. I find the feed VERY repetitive, a "hot topic" always repeat after a few months and stick around for a few weeks.

social media trending/discovery feeds and the like are a massive culprit when it comes to burnout from discussing topics like this. we're constantly flooded with an endless stream of terrible stuff. i'm not someone who thinks the internet is inherently bad because it exposes people to that kind of thing; the internet actually has saved lives on that front, making people aware of important causes beyond their own real-life communities and their country's borders. but the information highway is not something you want to stare at endlessly. i'm probably preaching to the choir a bit there.

Logged

☾ "you want to run - i'll run with you" ☼
https://files.catbox.moe/ivdca8.gifhttps://i.postimg.cc/YSTBDnM2/chao-blinkie.gifhttps://files.catbox.moe/ji1nvt.gifhttps://files.catbox.moe/9ypmrn.gifhttps://files.catbox.moe/3im96c.gif
oro_junestar
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWWArt


I'm the ghost, actually. But yeah, rockage.
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
artifact guystar cutieGreat Posts Pacman3d starJoined 2026!
« Reply #6 on: Summer, 15 Aug 2026 @723 » Embed

absolutely!!

the only productive discussion we could have on AI anymore is either talking someone out of using it, uplifting communities whose towns are being polluted by data centers, or showing ways to disable the slop that gets forcibly installed on your devices. Otherwise, there is nothing new to say about it that hasn't already been said.

I'm sick of how it infects things that have nothing to do with AI. Whenever someone posts cool art, the response is always "ai could NEVER do this!!!" and it's so infuriating. Stop making this about AI, say something that's actually helpful and meaningful to the artist.

There's a Discord server I'm in where people keep bringing up slopcoded game recomps and getting real heated over them and they always end up having the same conversation over and over and it's so tiringgg

Logged

Pac-Man! My readings suggest a nearby ghost to rescue! Either that, or I have spaghetti sauce on my monitor.

Artifact Swap: black n lilac yappin kittayblack n lime yappin kittaycuppa joe (#1 :3)Blue ham-ham rangerGay NeurodivergentWebsite WizardIchifactBugbooooCatCherryburgorLil ghost friendQurbysuck itPopsicleGaryLazy (part1)Lazy (part2)Villager Spawn Egg
fairyrune
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


we live to make the impossible possible!
⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
iMood: fairyrune
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Dino FossilJoined 2025!
« Reply #7 on: Summer, 16 Aug 2026 @484 » Toggle Font Embed

I'm sick of how it infects things that have nothing to do with AI. Whenever someone posts cool art, the response is always "ai could NEVER do this!!!" and it's so infuriating. Stop making this about AI, say something that's actually helpful and meaningful to the artist.

right, i never thought about that in particular. i'm definitely tired of people bringing it up to compare. i understand we're all about hashtag dunking but 1) AI can do that! i've seen some very clever image generators, and i don't think it's useful to deny that AI models can be very deceptive, and 2) it's insulting to the artist. compliment art on its own merits, not by comparing it with something that is actively destroying the environment.

Logged

☾ "you want to run - i'll run with you" ☼
https://files.catbox.moe/ivdca8.gifhttps://i.postimg.cc/YSTBDnM2/chao-blinkie.gifhttps://files.catbox.moe/ji1nvt.gifhttps://files.catbox.moe/9ypmrn.gifhttps://files.catbox.moe/3im96c.gif
demiurgeQuantified
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


supreme honkifex
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2025!
« Reply #8 on: Summer, 22 Aug 2026 @699 » Embed

absolutely!!

the only productive discussion we could have on AI anymore is either talking someone out of using it, uplifting communities whose towns are being polluted by data centers, or showing ways to disable the slop that gets forcibly installed on your devices. Otherwise, there is nothing new to say about it that hasn't already been said.

I'm sick of how it infects things that have nothing to do with AI. Whenever someone posts cool art, the response is always "ai could NEVER do this!!!" and it's so infuriating. Stop making this about AI, say something that's actually helpful and meaningful to the artist.

There's a Discord server I'm in where people keep bringing up slopcoded game recomps and getting real heated over them and they always end up having the same conversation over and over and it's so tiringgg

good reply. I feel like this problem is especially prevalent on Bluesky (with both discussions on AI and other social issue topics like this) where they just recycle the same talking points over and over again every few months and its like...whats the goal, yknow? 90% of the site userbase agrees with you, and the ones who don't are literally never going to see the posts, lol. its definitely a case where actions speak louder than words...but to many people, Posting™ is the action (even though it often doesn't do much)

Logged

https://file.garden/ZL6ncCeVhBA68iAX/243.gif
lakes
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #9 on: Summer, 22 Aug 2026 @717 » Embed

I'm tired of LLMs, but I do still keep up with it because I care about these things. It's gotten to the point where people will casually bring up their LLM usage in real life and I don't know how to respond. I guess I still keep up because I'm waiting for their downfall, whether that it's gonna become another fad that blows over and is never seen again, that it's like the dot com bubble and it rises back up but in a more sustainable way, or that people realize commercial LLMs are stupid and they only get used for stuff like quantum computing or cancer research. I'm not sure where it's gonna go but I know the bubble will pop at some point, it has to.
That said, it can be tiring and I have thought about adding a LLM/AI filter to my feed reader just because it feels like it's everywhere nowadays.

« Last Edit: Summer, 22 Aug 2026 @718 by lakes » Logged

https://i.ibb.co/gbj9yhcZ/userbar-1.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/C3KKzjyx/Computeruser.png
https://i.ibb.co/zhKYtXts/Librebar-X.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/b5mC7H6H/DVDUser.png
https://i.ibb.co/GfCkM0g1/soulseekuserbar.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/0jRYyw7R/Trash-User.png
https://i.ibb.co/gLNfFjqc/098.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/QjqVW8xT/xfceuserbar.png
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe