Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @165.50 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  © ∙ Music Room
| | | |-+  your first album

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: your first album  (Read 2830 times)
plasticseaslug
Casual Poster

plastic animals in cellophane waters. | he/it

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: plasticseaslug

View Profile

Blue Man In The Clothes Dryer Award (?)Joined 2024!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2024 @120.06 »

it took a long time for me to have my own money to buy things with, but the first album i ever got for myself was... some metallica one? i was in middle school and just starting to get into metal. i'm not a big fan of metallica now, but a couple songs from them still hold a lot of nostalgia for me. plus, it would be an oversight to ignore how much of an impact they've had on the metal scene.

BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2024 @603.17 »

My first album was EXID's Lady in 2018... I was 20 at the time. Kpop albums are notoriously not bought for listening, but because of the photo albums and other goods that are included with each of them. Safe for 1 Metallica album that I purchased to get early access to a ticket sale, all albums I own are EXID's.
Nikodile
Jr. Member ⚓︎

loosey goosey

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2024 @86.77 »

I don't really remember which one exactly was my first, but these 3 hold the earliest memories for me! (Also I still love them to this day)

They really shaped my tastes, some for better, some for worse hah.

SilentHope33

The current Hokage

iMood: optimistic

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2024 @95.83 »

first album I got as a late teen/early adult would have to be 9GoatsBlackout devils in bedside one of my favorite albums as a 20 yr old.

"If Miracles Only Happen Once What Are They Called The Second Time?" - Ichigo Kurosaki
arsenicCatnip

Big Big Worm is Wriggling With Glee!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2024 @752.25 »

Oh man, this is gonna show my disconnect from the new world so much...but the first album I bought for myself was "Hunting High and Low" by A-ha!! I remember going to the CD store in the big mall in the town over, and buying that with my dad. We had hamburgers afterwards. I had my own CDs before that, but it was all stuff that my parents bought me. I remember most vividly getting the complete MCR discography (at the time) for my 14th birthday, and we have a photograph of me sitting at the dining table in the morning, holding all their albums in my hand, wearing a Black Parade shirt, with the most shit-eating grin on my face :'-] Oh, the memories!

Sipping strawberry tea...beaming love into me...eternally........
Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2024 @902.18 »

what was your first album that you bought for yourself? how old were you, and what format was it on?

The first ever album I bought myself was The Slim Shady LP, it was on CD and I was 16 years old.  :ha:

glassVaseCamelCase
Casual Poster

Just a bored thing looking for old web magic

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2024 @36.41 »

First album I bought myself?

A couple of months ago I picked up a cd of The Life Pursuit by Belle and Sebastian from a vintage sale

Lovely album. Course by then I'd already been a fan for a good year

PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2024 @115.21 »

My first two albums I bought at the same time shortly after my thirteenth birthday at my favourite used CD store. One was Britney by Britney Spears (I had gotten her first two albums the previous Christmas and was obsessed) and the other was the Backstreet Boys's debut self-titled album (the European one, not to be confused with the American one of the same name). I still think they both hold up pretty well, although neither is my favourite now by their respective artists. I liked both at the time, and for a long while Britney was my favourite album of all time! I still love its aesthetic, including the design on the disc.

"...And we are not angels, to be comforted by seeing the means for which everything is sent."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters

moonunions
Casual Poster ⚓︎

ヽ(・∀・)ノ yippiiiieeee

View Profile WWW

Still knowing about Clippy in 2024Joined 2024!
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2024 @839.64 »

it's been so long that i barely remember, but i believe it was maroon 5's first album that came out in 2002:

i listened to this religiously lol. i found it in a sale bin at FYE or tower records (rip) XD

tungl" border="0

please feed beefsteak, he hungers ➭ feed beefsteak!
garystu
Jr. Member ⚓︎

https://picard.ytmnd.com

View Profile WWW

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2024 @137.33 »

Green Day - American Idiot.

Spoiler
That's the album.
Spoiler
There's nothing else here.
Spoiler
I don't know what all these spoilers are doing here either but stop clicking.
Spoiler
Post over.
Spoiler
Shoo.
Spoiler
Spoilers: there's nothing down here.
Spoiler
Leave me alone.
Spoiler
Stop.
Spoiler
Go away.
Spoiler
Leave.
Spoiler
No!!!!1!!111!1
Spoiler
It was actually Hampster dance: the album.

American Idiot was my second one.
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[/spoiler
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

gazafunds.com | Daily click for Palestine

xoxoxoxoxoxo
Signature Graphic ^^^ Credits
[close]
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2024 @595.20 »

Thee first I remember buying myself was Day & Age by the Killers - its a lil basic, but its still a solid album and its still on my iPod and enjoyed from time to time  :grin: I remember singing Human with firends in woodshop! I also think Dustland Fairyland was a pretty influential song for me.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Absentmind
Full Member ⚓︎

oi oi

View Profile WWW

Smashing Pumpkins Live June 2024 !First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2024 @899.27 »

When I was 12, my mum took me to ASDA (UK WALMART) to buy some CDs since my dad randomly gave me his old HiFi system. At the time, I wasn't really invested music so I randomly picked 3 albums I liked the album art of. Those were *drum roll*....

She will be loved by Maroon 5

i listened to this religiously lol. i found it in a sale bin at FYE or tower records (rip) XD
SNAP! I kinda hated it, I remember thinking "damn, this is mum music".

The Year 3000 by Busted

My introduction to Pop punk, even if it was an industry plant band  :ok:  I probably heard this on TV at some point! This song went hard though, and so did "What I go to school for"

Curtain Call by Eminem

FACK was a rude awakening into being a teenager :ok:  , imagine a little nerdy kid sat there blasting this goddamn song and not knowing what any of this means :cheesy: My poor parents !

:mark: (18+) :mark:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2024 @907.38 by Absentmind » Logged

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2024 @904.38 »

The Year 3000 by Busted
Omg there is a video of me singing this reaaallllyyyy badly while wandering around the garden playing with plaster cine puppets when I was about 7. It was before my music buying days, but I was super into it when it was on the radio - its such a y2k junky bop, I wish the world felt like this song! :unite:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Absentmind
Full Member ⚓︎

oi oi

View Profile WWW

Smashing Pumpkins Live June 2024 !First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2024 @912.56 »

Omg there is a video of me singing this reaaallllyyyy badly while wandering around the garden playing with plaster cine puppets when I was about 7. It was before my music buying days, but I was super into it when it was on the radio - its such a y2k junky bop, I wish the world felt like this song! :unite:

Haha amazing! I would definitely put this on a list of songs that defined the 00s perfectly  :pc:

If the year 3000 doesn't look this this I'm going to be furious!! :evil: 

dirtnap

View Profile

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2024 @11.18 »

debated a few times about whether to answer this question, because i've never been as interested in music as people are, or at least i'm not interested in music in the same way people tend to be.

i think, depending on how we define it, the first album i ever bought myself was either:

1) the two-record version of

the original cast recording of CATS

finding it at all was pure chance, i hadn't sought it out. i bought it immediately without question, and didn't even own a record player.

fun fact: the broadway recording (which is on these records) contains growltiger's last stand, a song that was not performed for the vhs film (which, yes, i also own and have watched many a time) and i'm glad i got to have some recording of growltiger because it was a good song about an interesting cat!

the vhs version was cut down quite a bit, i think for length (misoffelees, and mcavity lose at least a verse each, and the jellicle ball is shortened significantly), but growltiger being entirely gone from it is a shame. i think it was chosen to cut over, say, jennyanydots because growtilger doesn't fit easily into any sort of story you could tell with the songs and cats on offer, and he stands out quite a bit, and leaves more room to position mcavity as a villain. but i am sad about that decision, because i really would have liked to see it performed by the vhs cast. they had a different energy, and performed a lot of the songs very differently, so think vhs growltiger would probably have been a whole different cat than broadway growltiger and it's a shame we never got to see that.

i also eventually came to own this exact same recording on cd, and the vhs film on dvd. for futureproofing, mainly. the more often you watch a vhs the more degraded the tape gets.

it's all gone now, but there used to be a lot of little CATS fansites and fan-forums and communities online, and they were my first experience of fandom, albeit one i only ever observed and did not participate in. also my first exposure to fanfiction that i hadn't written, and thus to the word itself.

or if the CATS broadway recording doesn't count, by virtue of technically not being an album, then the first album i ever bought for myself was

2)
enchant by emilie autumn

i could talk about ea for hours uninterrupted, but i won't. i own all but the latest of her albums, some of them twice over, along with two different versions of the asylum. some of her albums are on both of my mp3 players, despite the fact that i mainly carry two for the sake of space. ea's lyrics, music and attitude have massively influenced my approach to both art and self-expression in general. in particular, her declaration that she often dresses so brightly to show goths that they can in fact wear colour was how i justified to other goths my own embrace of colour. i used her music as a proxy to experiment with and then embrace femininity. i drew a heart on my cheek for years and have considered more than once having it tattooed on. her music both got me into and later out of the most horrific experience of my life, not in a metaphysical sense but in a literal one as a result of the connections that music caused me to form with fellow listeners.

laced/unlaced (well, the laced side) is my favourite album of hers, and i'm still sad that we never got that much violin from her again.

her accompanied poetry is worth listening to if you don't like her musical styles, and i still think about ghost regularly.

The Year 3000 by Busted
My introduction to Pop punk, even if it was an industry plant band  :ok:

i've always wondered what it meant for a band to be an industry plant, but i just read busted's wikipedia article, and:

The band was launched in August 2002, making their first appearance on the cover of Smash Hits with the headline: "Meet Busted: They're Going to Be Bigger than Rik Waller!", making it a first for any pop band to appear on the magazine's cover before releasing a single.

i no longer have any questions about what "industry plant" means.

no js no shoes no problem
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

what song/album reminds you of summer?

Started by pancitoBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 24
Views: 3158
Last post February 24, 2023 @530.19
by Memory
Parody songs/albums you listen to like they're normal

Started by MemoryBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 1
Views: 755
Last post November 21, 2022 @959.87
by Oppositekeith
What was the last album you purchased/listened to/got in the mail?

Started by DiamondPetalsBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 20
Views: 1853
Last post March 16, 2023 @805.50
by debleb

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi