Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 26, 2024 - @878.03 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  How do GIFS make you feel?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How do GIFS make you feel?  (Read 1144 times)
Absentmind

i love surfing the world widened web

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« on: October 10, 2022 @685.46 »

While surfing the world wide web I found this neat little article discussing the history of GIFS. Its quite obvious that gifs play a massive role in Web-Revival design. But what makes them so alluring? Are they innocent and wholesome vessels of emotion? Are they a post-ironic statment? Or is it because they're just purely nostalgic and visions of the past, or all of the above

in contrast I also read THIS the other day. Calling GIFS "cringe" and "for boomers", noting in their declining popularity.

How do GIFS make you feel? What are your thoughts around them and these articles and whats your favorite GIF(s)! Let me know!

xX_irkeneonz_Xx
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022 @779.40 »

I love gifs and anyone who thinks they're cringe can fight me. I just don't always think they should be overused otherwise it becomes difficult to navigate at least for me personally, but websites loaded with gifs are still expressive on their own and I respect that.

I see them as just another tool for expression like any other graphics and sometimes they're just nice to look at and I at least never felt any irony when I used them because for me they're just fun. If I add video game sprites to my website or little pixel gifs it's because I like them and I think they look cool. There might be some nostalgia but in my case that nostalgia comes from liking the style more than anything and wanting to honor it.

I don't really have a particular favorite gif but there's a couple old internet Pokemon ones which are very beloved, and I also like pixel gifs in general as well as gifs from video games. There's also a couple nice technology ones I saved to use on my site later, and I love those detailed background gifs too.

SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022 @795.07 »

I love gifs and anyone who thinks they're cringe can fight me. I just don't always think they should be overused otherwise it becomes difficult to navigate at least for me personally, but websites loaded with gifs are still expressive on their own and I respect that.

I see them as just another tool for expression like any other graphics and sometimes they're just nice to look at and I at least never felt any irony when I used them because for me they're just fun. If I add video game sprites to my website or little pixel gifs it's because I like them and I think they look cool. There might be some nostalgia but in my case that nostalgia comes from liking the style more than anything and wanting to honor it.

I don't really have a particular favorite gif but there's a couple old internet Pokemon ones which are very beloved, and I also like pixel gifs in general as well as gifs from video games. There's also a couple nice technology ones I saved to use on my site later, and I love those detailed background gifs too.

I really agree with this but I also feel like GIFs are a double sided coin, much like regular reaction images or memes they can be very cringy, my best example of this in GIFs being discord. Opening the gifs section of discord brings all these "sO rElAtaBlE" GIFs that just feel really soulless and uninspired. On the other hand I adore sites that have old GIFs, especially ones that feel like they were made specifically for that site

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022 @824.28 »

I really agree with this but I also feel like GIFs are a double sided coin, much like regular reaction images or memes they can be very cringy, my best example of this in GIFs being discord. Opening the gifs section of discord brings all these "sO rElAtaBlE" GIFs that just feel really soulless and uninspired. On the other hand I adore sites that have old GIFs, especially ones that feel like they were made specifically for that site

I can agree with this. Sometimes they can be fun, but when overdone they can also get annoying.

On a side note, anyone who uses the word "boomer" as an insult has automatically lost my respect. Same with the word "virgin".
creaturefeature
Full Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: creaturefeature
iMood: creaturefeature

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022 @563.40 »

i dont care if their cringe. I still think they´re fun.
Also whoever wrote this is full of it, because I have seen gen zers still actively using them, so i don't think they're gonna fall out of fashion any time soon

Corrupted Unicorn
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023 @713.25 »

I love GIFs! They're goofy and silly and charming and what's not to love about having a little animated picture to go along with your website?

My animation teacher said that making GIFs is also a very simple and no-stakes way to learn and practice animation, so that's another reason to love them!

Anonicus
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023 @91.52 »

I think Gifs are really fun!

I remember back in 2012/2013 when I first saw some gifs on Tumblr and was amazed at how smooth gifs looked these days. Of course, For the Retro stuff, I love em! They're comfy and unique and they feel really nice being around, Maybe it's the nostalgia but y'know. :ozwomp:

My personal Website: https://anonicus.neocities.org/
brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023 @237.35 »

GIFs are the bees knees! Some people loved them so much they made entire pages full of glittery, rotating, swirly, moving things that could make your eyes and brain hurt.

One of the best editors made for creating them was made by big, bad Microsoft - MS GIF Animator back in the days of Windows 95. I was making some just last night, but in Photoshop using its Timeline.

* 1241936125.jpg (236.17 kB, 680x818 - viewed 47 times.)
JackFrost
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!BUG!?!Joined 2022!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023 @572.08 »

I like them a lot! It’s great that pictures can be animated on a site. I think the internet would be a lot less fun without them. It’s kinda hard finding them sometimes though.I use gifcities but even then you might not find the right one. It takes careful thought and appreciation to them.

Coffee addict, Gunpla builder, SMT fan.
debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023 @702.87 »

i like em! they’re fun and add a bit of liveliness to a webpage that static images don’t. though i do think a lot of gif heavy websites could probably do with a flashing lights warning  :ohdear:

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2023 @387.40 »

I love gifs. Though I find the Tumblr style gifsets quite boring (seen enough of those in my life) but gifs like ones with transparent backgrounds, someone's art/self-drawn, etc, now that's the stuff! I formed an appreciation for such stuff since they take effort to make.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

chiptune maker!

Started by cinniBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 6
Views: 2058
Last post March 08, 2023 @308.04
by Gans
we built this city on stolen gifs

Started by luluBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 7
Views: 2115
Last post December 27, 2023 @613.38
by PurpleHello98
Some of my GIFS

Started by DojidaveBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 2
Views: 1264
Last post March 16, 2022 @762.07
by Karius

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi