This zone is sleeping right now! ZzzZZzzz

Better not disturb it! ~You go to the petrol station and buy a slushy instead, everything is cool!~

This area will open again in 000.beats!

(Learn about Swatch Time)

Some other zones are awake :^]


Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 28 Sep 2026 - @343.44
Forum Activity: Three Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: Love is not possession  :4u: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Communities & Online Life
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  ☁︎ ∙ Web Spelunking (Links)
| | | |-+  Share some Flash animations you remember!


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Share some Flash animations you remember!  (Read 240 times)
Rubbereon
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
NoSmoking!Hope, the silliest ink kittayyVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« on: Autumn, 24 Sep 2026 @018 » Embed

Share any extremely old animations you remember from Kongegrate and Newgrounds or any other now defunct sites! I'm gonna assume all of them are made in flash because in terms of animation software back then there was only flash and nothing else (now animators got toonboom  :eyes: ) or your best bet was to do frame by frame like traditional on paper animations, Flipnote Athena or flipaclip.

The first one I wanna bring up is Joe Cartoon, it's a personal site run by one guy with his animations.
https://static.zikvid.com/crop/1600/600/uploads/channels/f0afb66bb1a5111092366e469ebfa836.jpg

The second one I wanna talk about is Goodbye Kitty, it's a slapstick humor cartoon like Ton and Jerry but way more gory. It's about 2 cats trying to fight for their owner's attention.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/goodbyekitty/images/8/8f/Pilot.png/revision/latest?cb=20110920115353

The last one is an animation of Sonic and Mario battling it out.


Honorable mention:
Castle calamity: I couldn't stop watching them. Wile Coyote vs the Roadrunner, but Mario was Wile and the castle was the Roadrunner. I kind of just want to know about full on flash animations made from ground up, not sprite animations, I mean it's cool, but you can maker them in pretty much anything like for example the stickman app thing I downloaded a while ago for a parody (I should get around to it).
This one in particular was made in flash, but sprite animations aren't completely flash, they ain't got that vibe is what I mean. I prefer the crude ugly art of the other animations I brought up.

Similar to this thread but definitely not the same topic: https://forum.melonland.net/index.php?topic=362.0
I'm guessing the reason why that wasn't a thread before is because there's no forum for animations, but there was one for video games, oh well.

 :cheerR: Let me know if you remember any cool ones!

Logged

https://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20695.gifFuzzy fwiendhttps://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20696.gifhttps://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20697.gif
https://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/penguin.gifLinux userhttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/penguin.gif
↓ All my web profiles are available on this website ↓
https://fursona.directory/@rubbereon :eyes:

Artifact Swap: pearl yappin kittayGreen SpiffoJust CheeseTomato SliceCourage Creampuffsmiley
Dan Q
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


I have no idea what I am doing
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Dan Q Cruisin'I DIDN'T meet Dan Q on Melonland!Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!
« Reply #1 on: Autumn, 24 Sep 2026 @414 » Toggle Font Embed

In 2004 body spray brand Axe (known as Lynx here in the UK) released a Flash-based ad that trended well online at the time. In it, your cursor became a feather and you used it to tickle a woman lying on a bed. The ability to meaningfully embed small semitransparent full-motion video clips in Flash was then new, and the developers working on behalf of Unilever did a great job of using the combination of cutting edge technology, gamification, and sex appeal to make a memorable advertisement:

https://bcdn.danq.me/_q23u/2021/01/tickle-me.jpg

Anyway: this one clearly stuck in my mind because 16 years later - long after Flash has died a death on the Web - I (painstakingly) reverse-engineered it, extracted its assets, and re-created it in HTML, JS and CSS! And open-sourced it, of course.

(Seriously, this was a complex bit of reverse-engineering: I ended up making this diagram to understand all of the possible interaction states:)


https://bcdn.danq.me/_q23u/2021/01/axe-feather-2021-game-map.png

Anyway, you can play my 2021 remake of it at axe-feather.danq.dev if you like.

Logged

https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-lighter.gif https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-peekaboo-scroller.gif https://beige-buttons.danq.dev/beige-buttons-88x31.gif https://embed-html.danq.dev/embed-html-88x31.gif

Artifact Swap: PolyamorousI met Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
Dan Q
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


I have no idea what I am doing
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Dan Q Cruisin'I DIDN'T meet Dan Q on Melonland!Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!
« Reply #2 on: Autumn, 24 Sep 2026 @417 » Toggle Font Embed

Ooh! One more to share: Joe Cartoon's Frog Blender 2000. This is proper early: it came out way back in 1999 and I must've showed it to every friend and acquaintance I ever had at the time -


It's gross and it's stupid but when I was a 17/18-year-old it was somehow hilarious. Archive.org has a working copy if you want to try it for yourself.

Logged

https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-lighter.gif https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-peekaboo-scroller.gif https://beige-buttons.danq.dev/beige-buttons-88x31.gif https://embed-html.danq.dev/embed-html-88x31.gif

Artifact Swap: PolyamorousI met Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #3 on: Autumn, 24 Sep 2026 @708 » Toggle Font Embed

Flash-based ad that trended well online at the time. In it, your cursor became a feather and you used it to tickle a woman lying on a bed. The ability to meaningfully embed small semitransparent full-motion video clips in Flash was then new, and the developers working on behalf of Unilever did a great job
This is one of those things that only the early digital media advertising industry could produce. Its both mildly uncomfortable, but also really well done (I assume they had a proper budget) and way more experimental than a lot of what's made today.. but at the same time, oddly empty feeling.

I have a question though! You did a really great job deconstructing it and re-creating it in modern technology. Aside from the interesting technical stuff, its basically a good proof of concept that most flash things can be made in CSS and JS now. I've always wondered why people don't seem to actually make flash-like things in JS more often. Was there something in the process of recreating this that you think might be the thing that's stopping people?

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillThe Wizards OrbRed Tulip100 coins<3eyntivemds pet fishcurious fish
Dan Q
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


I have no idea what I am doing
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Dan Q Cruisin'I DIDN'T meet Dan Q on Melonland!Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!
« Reply #4 on: Autumn, 24 Sep 2026 @762 » Toggle Font Embed

Was there something in the process of recreating this that you think might be the thing that's stopping people?

Well... I insisted on working with just vanilla JS, which probably set me back a bit! I'm confident that somebody familiar with a toolchain that compiles to HTML+JS, using that toolchain, would have had a much easier time and been able to develop it faster. Also: I'm very-definitely not a games developer, so that slowed me down a bit too.

By which I guess I'm saying: nope, I imagine it's easier-than-ever to make this kind of thing. Folks who use and are familiar with tools like Phaser, Godot, Unity (all of which, I believe, build for the Web nowadays) or whatever can almost certainly knock these things out much faster than I did!


Its both mildly uncomfortable, but also really well done

Yeah; you'd like to think it wouldn't fly today for its content alone. But still: it'd be nice if marketing was fun again. Maybe people wouldn't block all the ads any more!

Logged

https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-lighter.gif https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-peekaboo-scroller.gif https://beige-buttons.danq.dev/beige-buttons-88x31.gif https://embed-html.danq.dev/embed-html-88x31.gif

Artifact Swap: PolyamorousI met Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
John
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


I have no idea what I'm doing.
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
funguyVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!John Junior's Easter Egg 01John Junior's Easter Egg 02John Junior's Easter Egg 03
« Reply #5 on: Autumn, 24 Sep 2026 @800 » Embed

As an edgy goth teenager I quite enjoyed David Firth's Salad Fingers as well as other, even more disturbing, animations of his.


Logged

Kind regards,
https://johnshomepage.neocities.org/John_Badge.gif

Artifact Swap: To the Moon!The Worm is creeping around Melonland profiles!I met Dan Q on Melonland!Mr. SuitERR_FILE_NOT_FOUNDWHACK!BLTStar Wars YodaGuitarLucky Birdtree Conewhere am i?InkyshroomPearlRed Floppy DiskPencilWolf Spawn Eggdithersnowy (for winter lovers)Minecraft Veteransunflower
demiurgeQuantified
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


supreme honkifex
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2025!
« Reply #6 on: Autumn, 24 Sep 2026 @904 » Embed

when i was growing up flash animations were already becoming a little bit "out of style" but i do remember looking at stuff like zombo.com lol.

anyway, homestuck's flash animations will always be iconic to me...they're so crazy and fun to watch

Logged

https://file.garden/ZL6ncCeVhBA68iAX/243.gif
MrsMoe
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


Your friendly neighborhood living dead girl
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Deviantart Llama!Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: Autumn, 25 Sep 2026 @971 » Embed



If anyone here was an old school Warrior Cats kid, please tell me you remember this

Logged

https://blinkies.cafe/b/display/0113-autism.gifhttps://blinkies.cafe/b/display/0021-vampirefangs.gifhttps://blinkies.cafe/b/display/0182-halloweencathouse.gifhttps://i.postimg.cc/02L6smjc/ezgif-7-ebef155de1.gifhttps://64.media.tumblr.com/e53076104c8d22ed3d272d62cc8fccfa/88280e3f54890c11-c1/s250x400/aa5c1239ea59888acaa71ad26271790a794ccc5d.gifvhttps://blinkies.cafe/b/display/0138-greenglow.gif
https://i.ibb.co/Lzg2SZj/tumblr-5afbadec7c65089061ba8cfa48b57bc8-469c61aa-100.webphttps://tinyurl.com/yn2v726zhttps://tinyurl.com/39tjbzfmhttps://tinyurl.com/32x3t38jhttps://tinyurl.com/2ybkhmh5https://tinyurl.com/2ue7d945https://tinyurl.com/493hsx5phttps://tinyurl.com/ye28hzrphttps://64.media.tumblr.com/92ec86321325be8fac199fecef8fd7b0/tumblr_ptpl0x7U4o1y8ua8do1_100.gifv
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Enter Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe