Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 16, 2024 - @427.55 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Star Posts: 19/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Writers Corner
| | |-+  Staying on task

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Staying on task  (Read 972 times)
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: December 01, 2022 @936.19 »

I'm writing a psychology paper right now and I can't stay focused, I find I'm this way when I try to write anything. Does anybody have any tips? Any good ways to stay motivated, on task and from procrastinating? Even writing this post is me just avoiding finishing my paper :omg:k:

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

purelyconstructive
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022 @819.04 »

I find it helpful to have a clear outline and goals that I am working toward. I also like to use timers.

I hope the writing goes well! :cheerR:

P.S.: Don't get distracted by the links that I have shared. :cheesy:
wodaro
Full Member ⚓︎

I should be drawing

iMood: wodaro
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022 @238.96 »

I am also perpetually struggling with this. I'll echo purelyconstructive's point on timers, and also say I find meditation to be a genuinely helpful tool for staying on task. sometimes my brain gets too overwhelmed between thinking about plans, chores, projects, deadlines, etc. it gets overwhelming. Taking even three minutes before working to just sit with yourself, close your eyes, do some breathing exercises and basically do a brain reboot can help so much.

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022 @460.03 »

Maybe try and work with music? I was getting in a better working attitude through listening to some kind of power music. Maybe some fast-paced techno (of course everybodys taste is different), but recently I discovered that hyperactive Eurobeat music from the anime "Initial D".

https://invidious.snopyta.org/watch?v=wO_epWbJOd4&listen=false

Download it and listen to it in repeat. No distraction from having to restart the music file is needed!
This kind of music however is very exhausting afterwards. Or maybe it was the finished work?

Also I gained some workpace through writing my texts in a standard text editor (Notepad on Windows) without formatting first. No language correction dares to distract you from producting words like a machine! The beauty step comes second, make the text look beautiful.
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022 @685.37 »

A good resource I like to use when I am behind a LOTTA homework is this method called Pomodoro (aka Tomato Timer)!
Basically, what seperates it from a normal timer is you do 25 minute intervals and then take a 5 minute break! After 4 of these "Pomodoro"s you get to take a 15 minute break.
It's really great for my ADHD brain :TnT: So I highly reccomend it! literaly SAVED my grades :4u:
There are several websites for this but this is the one I like to use:
http://www.tomatotimers.com

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022 @747.71 »

So I'm definetly going to be taking these tips. I have been using a lot of eurobeat funnily enough and it makes me write ridicullously fast, good for getting out drafts. As for the pomodoro technique, I have never tried it. I think I'm gonna give it a shot tonight with my writing. Thank you all and I'll update when I try out some of this!

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022 @3.95 »

Im am the high priest of procrastination so Im not sure how much advice I can really offer :tongue: But Iv found that I tend to procrastinate for a reason; sometimes its related to the task Im trying to do, or sometimes its totally unrelated. For example when I was doing my final paper in college, I loved the papers subject, but there was a bunch of personal issues going on in my life that made it totally impossible to focus on my paper, I wasn't able to write until I'd sorted out those other things. Likewise, sometimes I procrastinate because Im worried about the thing Im working on, maybe I don't know how to do it 100% or Im worried its a bad idea.

So its worth taking the time to think about what might be causing you to hold back and if there's anything that can be done if there is. I agree with the others above, meditation can be a great way to get in touch with your thoughts, and after that a bit of basic organisation can really help. (I use todo lists for projects - lots of little tasks like "edit that paragraph" or "remove a link" so they are easy to get into)

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Wobblegong
Casual Poster

I will wobble once more

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022 @177.96 »

I've been keeping ideas/notes on what I'm doing on sticky notes so I can remember what I'm supposed to be doing
I get to throw them away when they're done which feels like accomplishment

for a bigger project I'd consider making a scrum board

I'd rather go stopwatch instead of timer I don't want to interrupt my flow if I get something going. But I do set goals for myself as far as time spent on things
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2023 @876.71 »

I'm writing a psychology paper right now and I can't stay focused, I find I'm this way when I try to write anything. Does anybody have any tips? Any good ways to stay motivated, on task and from procrastinating? Even writing this post is me just avoiding finishing my paper :omg:k:

Turn off your wifi. Unplug your ethernet cable. Turn off your phone and lock it in a drawer well out of easy reach. Use apps that don't require an internet connection and store data locally. Put on some headphones and listen to lofi beats or technical death metal in files you have on your computer.

rock operatic science fantasy and more...
(...all opinions mine unless attributed, and free to a good home...)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (1)

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi