Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @73.82 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | |-+  MP3 players!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: MP3 players!  (Read 1909 times)
JackFrost
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!BUG!?!Joined 2022!
« on: December 09, 2022 @682.26 »

Do you have an mp3 player? which one and do ye like it? I need to get one soon so tell me about good ones. I’ll probably get an ipod
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022 @725.63 »

I do actually! I got an iPod 5th Gen last year and I modded it to replace the 40GB HDD with a 128GB SD card and put in a bigger battery (also a clear front shell)! I also put a lot of effort into downloading/ripping whole albums from artists I really liked and I already had a good pair of old wired earphones. So all those things combined make it a really good experience.

I think it helped my taste music in general; instead of skipping to songs constantly it forced me to listen to whole albums and slow down n really listen, I recommend it! :4u:

Lessons along the way:
  • New iPod parts are all low quality, so if you have a good original parts keep them!
  • Getting a good SD converter and card is important - I used an iFlash Solo and a SanDisk Extreme SD card - https://www.iflash.xyz/store/iflash-solo
  • If you do an SD mod, make sure to put in a bigger battery (1-2k mAh) longer life makes it way more usable!
  • Its still old tech, lots of people try to overvalue it, so don't pay too much!
  • iTunes has improved a lot, but remember it still only supports MP3 and M4A - If you have FLACs you need to convert them to lossless M4A
  • Some super high-res lossless so audio wont play on iPods (you've gotta downsample to 48k 16bit max)
  • I recommend buying CDs from charity shops (or borrowing them from people/library) and ripping them to Apple Lossless in iTunes to get the best quality!
  • If you use it on a plane/bus/train people will give you looks :tongue:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023 @134.80 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022 @776.06 »

MP3 players definitely still have a place in my heart, something about having a device soley for music is amazing to me. Personally I'm using a cheap Chinese knock off MP3 player with a 32GB SD card. Once I have some money I do wanna get a better one and maybe go down the route of modding an Ipod. Does anybody know a good way to edit the data of an MP3 so that I can change the album name or artist name?

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022 @787.85 »

Does anybody know a good way to edit the data of an MP3 so that I can change the album name or artist name?

I use Kid3, it runs on all systems and its open source and seems to work really well on multiple formats! https://kid3.kde.org

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022 @943.30 »

I used to have a Sony Walkman MP3 player, I miss it quite a bit. It's somewhere at my mom's place now though.
I might try to find another one if I can't get it back.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022 @970.01 »

The only mp3 player I ever owned besides my phone is the 5th gen U2 ipod. I like U2 but am not a huge fan. I mostly got it because of the black and red colour scheme.

(Photo isn't mine, but it looks exactly like that).

I don't use it anymore, but it got me through college. It's still in great physical condition, but I doubt the battery will hold a charge anymore.
DoctorDizzy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

I will become the god of this new world!

StatusCafe: doctordizzy
iMood: DoctorDizzyspin

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022 @990.42 »

My mom gave me her old iPod Nano 7th generation :chill:

It has a broken screen (Not cracked or anything, but there are these black bars on it), but I absolutely love it!! :cheesy:

I am lightning... The rain transformed!
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022 @23.47 »

The only mp3 player I ever owned besides my phone is the 5th gen U2 ipod. I like U2 but am not a huge fan. I mostly got it because of the black and red colour scheme.

(Photo isn't mine, but it looks exactly like that).

I don't use it anymore, but it got me through college. It's still in great physical condition, but I doubt the battery will hold a charge anymore.
OMG A CLASSIC. I love those things. Does anyone know where I could buy an Ipod btw?

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Wobblegong
Casual Poster

I will wobble once more

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2022 @170.25 »

I loved my IPod
It was like 32GB so I had thousands of songs on it
Unfortunately it stopped working a while ago. I just use spotify now anyway :ohdear:
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022 @388.15 »

Sad. The MP3 players long gone now from the daily lives of most young people.

Times have changed. Freedom and "obligation" to look after your own music collection.
A double-edged sword. Is it really that big of a pain to look after 1000 MP3 files? Stick that whale sized USB drive in the USB port? And put all the files there?

Nowadays, you don't "own" your collection. You just rent these songs for now. The next copyright change is on the doorstep. Having to go through advertising... disaster.

Just know some Audacity and VLC, and you're able to go to convert music files, if necessary.
And then nobody bothers you and you can listen to whatever you want and nobody impeeds that music experience. But that freedom probably wasn't worth it.

That's why an MP3 player makes me deeply sad.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2022 @898.22 »

Times have changed. Freedom and "obligation" to look after your own music collection.
A double-edged sword. Is it really that big of a pain to look after 1000 MP3 files? Stick that whale sized USB drive in the USB port? And put all the files there?

Nowadays, you don't "own" your collection. You just rent these songs for now. The next copyright change is on the doorstep. Having to go through advertising... disaster.

Just know some Audacity and VLC, and you're able to go to convert music files, if necessary.
And then nobody bothers you and you can listen to whatever you want and nobody impeeds that music experience. But that freedom probably wasn't worth it.

I like old devices and keep all of mine around as a sort of mini museum on my shelf, but I wouldn't give up the convenience of having a phone that does everything.

I don't use Spotify or anything like it for music because I hate how everything is becoming a subscription, especially when they start pushing ads on something I'm already paying for, and I don't want to lose access to my favourite things when the service decides to stop paying for the license. I kept buying CDs and ripping them until I no longer had a computer with a disk drive. Now I buy songs individually on iTunes and use the radio and YouTube to find new music.

But I also use OneDrive to store all of my music so I can access it on any device and don't have to worry about losing it due to a disk failure. Space is an issue, but that has only come up for me once when I tried using OneDrive to store backups of project files. Now it's pretty much exclusively for music.
Wobblegong
Casual Poster

I will wobble once more

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2022 @90.35 »

idk if I was serious about having a music collection I'd probably want something physical like records or cds
having an itunes library doesn't really give much feeling of ownership
CooperationIsKey
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Something Clever

StatusCafe: CooperationIsKey
iMood: CooperationIsKey

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2022 @588.50 »

This reminds me that I wish I'd managed to hang on to my late best friend/roommate of 8 years' ipod classic. Would have been neat to have that window into her music taste.

As for me, I had an RCA Lyra "Micro Jukebox" back in college (c.2004):

This thing had an actual, physical hard drive. It worked fine as far as I can remember, but it's battery did the slow expansion thing until I, the unknowing idiot, was duct-taping the case to keep it together. Little did I realize the danger THAT was at the time, lmao.

I've also had three iPods over the years. Still have all three, too! But unfortunately they're with a bunch of my stuff being stored by friends many states away so I can't take a photo, but these are what I have:

1. pink iPod Nano, 2nd Gen.
2. green iPod Nano, 6th Gen.
3. gray iPod Shuffle, 3rd Gen.

The Shuffle was a gift from the aforementioned best friend, and was engraved with the title of one of my favorite songs at the time, "Monsters Keep Me Company." ❤️

I look forward to getting a hold of my iPods again and seeing what's on them. I suspect one of them at least has a lot of my Invader Zim music (as in songs that fit the characters, etc, not actual songs FROM Invader Zim) from a rough patch I had where I was wearing my headphones everywhere. 🤔

Musical time capsules!

ol1vi4s-corner

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2023 @167.78 »

i use a fake ipod nano i got online, it works well
debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2023 @899.59 »

i don't have an mp3 player but when im out my music gets listened to from mp3s stuffed into a nintendo 3ds

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Cassette Tapes and Players

Started by DoctorDizzyBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 14
Views: 1045
Last post January 16, 2024 @222.96
by Yaya
Enough about mp3 players, do you have a portable mp4 VIDEO player!?

Started by JackFrostBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 11
Views: 884
Last post March 23, 2023 @947.55
by CyberCat2000
Portable CD Players in 2023?

Started by WingsOfImaginationBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 10
Views: 768
Last post February 11, 2023 @696.20
by BritKnee

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi