Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 28, 2024 - @711.03 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 40/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | |-+  Your favorite anime tropes?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Your favorite anime tropes?  (Read 645 times)
WingsOfImagination

Beauty Serene Arrow!

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: February 03, 2023 @79.73 »

Japanese animation is a source full of a lot of fun tropes! From shiny glasses, a character hilariously losing their color, big comical sweatdrops, etc.

One of my favorite ones is definitely the "Face Fault" trope where characters drop hard to the floor when something surprising/embarrassing happens. It never fails to make me laugh!

I also really like this "unaffected opponent" fighting trope which appears a lot in Dragon Ball Z. Even better when it's a one heavy punch accompanied with a massive shockwave, yet the opponent remains perfectly still. Coolest thing ever!

RodFireProductions
Jr. Member ⚓︎

🍄🖤🐀

StatusCafe: rodfire8181
iMood: rodfire8181
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023 @250.02 »

I'd have to say my favorite is the "corner of woe". It's a very relatable trope.

Another one I enjoy is when mushrooms are shown growing on people to emphasize a depressed or gloomy mood.

we art, web dev, and game dev
tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023 @443.40 »

I know a lot of people are annoyed by this trope by now, but I really really do enjoy the "Character somehow gets up despite being very clearly defeated five times in a row and wins because POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" (or determination, or they made a promise, you know, etc etc) trope.

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
wodaro
Full Member ⚓︎

I should be drawing

iMood: wodaro
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023 @576.23 »

Seeing the above post made me realize what my answer was! I don't know what the actual name for these are, but I love the more detailed "freeze frames" you tend to see in older anime, where they hold on a more detailed and rendered image for an extended amount of time. It acts as an animation saving technique since the higher detail means you don't have worry about animating it, and depending on the show it can really help set a tone! You see it more often at the end of a show, a frame with the main characters all laughing together at the end of a long day, for example. But some older anime used to use them a lot! I think my favourite examples are the ones in Oniisama E, which tends to use these freeze frames multiple times in an episode to highlight dramatic moments or emotional tension.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023 @233.99 by wodaro » Logged

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024 @194.17 »

I know a lot of people are annoyed by this trope by now, but I really really do enjoy the "Character somehow gets up despite being very clearly defeated five times in a row and wins because POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" (or determination, or they made a promise, you know, etc etc) trope.

Reminds me of a line from James O'Barr's The Crow: "It's not death if you refuse it... It is if you accept it."

rock operatic science fantasy and more...
(...all opinions mine unless attributed, and free to a good home...)
alexela64
Full Member ⚓︎

NEW PLASTIC TREE 5.29 !!!!1!!!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024 @851.04 »

It's gotta be when a character is shocked at something and their face just loses all detail/their eyes turn into little circles. Something about the moment being so shocking/upsetting that the character loses detail on their face (and still conveys the emotion really well) is just so hilarious to me.

Fish
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Creator of the most ok cuppa joe

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024 @98.02 »

Those parts where it seems the protag is screwed in a fight or whatever but then the theme song starts playing and they go crazy

alexela64
Full Member ⚓︎

NEW PLASTIC TREE 5.29 !!!!1!!!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024 @670.76 »

Those parts where it seems the protag is screwed in a fight or whatever but then the theme song starts playing and they go crazy

oh jojos is absolutely the worst offender of this xD

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

What are some of your favorite 404 pages?

Started by Icey!Board ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 13
Views: 3000
Last post November 11, 2023 @846.81
by wetnoodle
[Open Call] Favorite Recipes

Started by NightdriftBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 4
Views: 1615
Last post December 16, 2021 @301.70
by cinni
If you had the ability to eat anything, what would be your new favorite food?

Started by Icey!Board ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 29
Views: 2936
Last post November 07, 2023 @809.28
by Capybara

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi