Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @73.39 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 21/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 927.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☌ ∙ Melon's Laboratory
| | |-+  Is it time to replace the term Web Revival??

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Is it time to replace the term Web Revival??  (Read 3640 times)
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2023 @552.13 »

Alternet
Cybershift
Post-retroweb
Internet Creative Resurgence
People's Web
Web 2.Other
Net Positive

I love these so much :0 especially Net Positive is such a nice play of words

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2023 @743.21 »

Iv got a new one  :grin:

"And as the mazy web she whirls," - The Lady of Shalott

Mazy Web seems to capture so much of what Iv always been trying to express but never put into words.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2024 @2.60 »

New name idea, this ones inspired by the Anabaptists i.e. the amish, hutterites, etc. My name idea is "Anacyberists" because we also promote using old technology, and like how the name "Anabaptism" means "baptized again", we are sort of re-birthing the web as it had been before 2015.
Of course Im not saying we're "baptizing" new members of our community or that the web revival is totally christian, I'm just connecting 2 different ideas that I think are sort of similar.

McMagnetic
Casual Poster ⚓︎

BRING ON THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: magneticbat

View Profile WWW

Certified MagnetJoined 2024!
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2024 @721.75 »

I like the term "New Web"
It reminds me of the genre New Wave.
But I tend to find myself just using real web / small web as well. it's like a Cool kids club!  :smile:
I saw someone on this thread recommend that we use the term "Wild Web", too.
That's a REAL good one..
Aghhh!!! I don't know!!! I'm so conflicted!!!!!!!

Smile, Mephiskapheles loves you.

grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2024 @748.73 »

I was going to say I really liked the sound of neo-net, but then I realized the implications of "neo" and just uhm let's not xD

I've never been a fond of terms that are too long (even if they are cool), I think it should be quick and bounce off the tongue.

Like New Web / Wild Web to some extent. Both are quick to write and say.

I guess terms like retro web, or vintage web can also be descriptive?

One could also switch it around, like "web nuveau" or something similar.

georgemoody
Jr. Member ⚓︎

To Tux or not to Tux, that is the question

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: georgemoody
iMood: georgemoody
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

moodyFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2024 @343.41 »

I've got two suggestions in mind:

• Rewind Web
  • Rewe(r)b (as in reverb + web)

I personally like the second one as it represents the community much more accurately: echoes of the distant 1.0 web drudging forward with the times and making room for itself within the cavern that is the 2.0 web (though maybe my wordplay here is too creative). Net Positive is a really good name too, in fact HaikuOS' (which i would call somewhat retro yet modern) default web browser has the same name.

I have no idea what I’m doing.
Yaya

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2024 @565.38 »

Hi! I think Web Revival is pretty solid but I don't feel it's the most accurate as I feel like we're not trying to revive something that once was, but instead trying to create something new (albeit inspired by ideas from the past). I also feel like the Web Revival refers to a movement or a group of people with a shared interest, but it doesn't make sense to say "today I spend some time surfing the web revival", but it does work for "I'm a part of the Web Revival", so I do think it would be beneficial to have two terms.

This is one of the reasons that I can't really get behind "Indie Web" or even when there was the "Yesterweb". I felt like the Indie Web felt too "indie", like we are a project trying to take off rather than a bunch of people coming together to establish/create a space. "Yesterweb" to me felt too focused on the past, like it was trying desperately to cling to something that was fading fast.

I like sometimes just saying instead of the typical "I was on the internet" to say "I was surfing the web". I feel like Web evokes the idea of interconnectedness and web rings, and it's really not used so much so it kinda works.

On some other suggestions I've heard:

Bespoke or Curated Web: I like this because it refers to many things people here do which is sort of modifying their internet experience to what works best for them. But I'm not the biggest fan as it feels a bit hoity-toity, and focuses a bit on what's being excluded.

Internet Underground: Like others said I like this, but it does bring up the notion of the deep or dark web, so ultimately not a fan.

Little/Small Web: I like the wholesome qualities of this but I do think it once again is in relation to something else (i.e. the little web as opposed to the big web), and I'd prefer something that stands on it's own.

Net Positive: Cool wordplay! But again I think I would have trouble saying "I was on NetPositive today"; it sounds closer to a Forum or a Concept/Principles than a thing you do.

Free Web: Really like this one and I think it does the same thing as Wild Web. My one worry is that many right-wing internet groups incorporate "free" in their name.

Real Web: I like this too but it makes me think again of Real Web in opposed to what? The "Fake" web? I think that does us a bit of a disservice as it can make you get in the weeds about authenticity and that people on the "Fake" net are inauthentic or worse in some way

Wild Web: This is super cool! I like it because it evokes ideas of exploration and freedom. In general I'm a big fan of anything that incorporates Web. I even think just the simple World Wide Web could work!

Intranet: Reclaiming this word could maybe work? I like the idea that it brings up thoughts of interconectedness, but I'm not a fan of the feelings it evokes of exclusion and privacy.

AlterWeb: It's alright but kinda bland.

The Other Side of the Internet: This one's kinda fun but a mouthful!

+1 for Wild Web! I do think we can maybe get more specific but I believe that is the direction to go in! Something "Web", and a phrase or term that evokes the idea of independence, wildness, joy, wholesomeness, creation, discovery, etc...I think we can find or create something really cool! Just gotta keep brainstorming :cool:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024 @567.23 by Yaya » Logged
Phoenix
Casual Poster

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

mail buddyJoined 2024!
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2024 @693.50 »

I've never been very fond of the term Web Revival myself (probably made obvious by my frequent use of "This part of the web"), so I would be very glad to provide a few alternatives for everybody- -

Little Web

Sounds like a street that'd have a lot of cute mom & pop shops. Small Web is an alternative.

Internet Underground
(Cool people only)

Neo-net
Like.. new net?..

Wild Web
Yeah.

Neonet sounds cool  :cool:

"My Flames may flicker, but they Shall never die!"
Memory
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2024 @755.68 »

[removed by author]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2024 @647.87 by j » Logged
Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Mushroom MadnessMessage BuddyJoined 2023!
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2024 @0.38 »

I think it should be mentioned again that the purpose of this thread is NOT deciding on one or two terms for the majority to use! Claim whatever term that you personally fancy. Whether you use something like "Franken-web" or "Indie Web" to describe the part of the internet you have in mind, you're likely bound to get questions from the unfamiliar either way. Which I'd say is much better than one term being used and recognized to the point where people only make general assumptions and leave behind any curiosity they might've had.

[Note: Franken-web is a new suggestion, since Melon didn't say anything about abstaining from being tacky]

"Please, captain. Not in front of the Klingons."
cybherspace
Casual Poster ⚓︎

cruisin' the webz

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cybherspace
iMood: cybherspace

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2024 @132.87 »

Definitely for me the "wild web" encompasses so much. When I think of the "wild web" I think about all of our little personal sites, but also smaller social media sites like SpaceHey, for example. It also brings in some of the best parts of the word "indie" in that it includes an implication of open-source (to me, at least). It also implies that things are home-grown and grass-roots, popping up like little wildflowers.  :loved:

For "small web", I like that a lot too, but for me that covers specifically smaller alternatives to major sites. So, again, SpaceHey is a good example as an alternative social media site. I'd also consider Neocities itself part of the small web (though maybe one of the biggest parts) as it's an alternative web host.

To me, small web is often open-source, but not always. It is cozier, and I like it better than the "big web" alternative. I am 50/50 on if I'd include people's individual sites on the small web - not that they're not small, of course, but a personal site is a personal site. They can vary in size quite a lot, but usually they're nowhere near as big as a small web site that might host the work of many people, usually hundreds or thousands.

Email me @ cybherspace@protonmail.com!

PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2024 @657.25 »

For whatever reason, I gravitate to the "New Web", suggesting a renewal of the Web---but then I remember that there's already a "new Web", synonymous with the corporate Web and all that, so no dice, probably. I do like "small Web" and "cozy Web", as well as the "Indie Web", which I feel is most descriptive although it's a bit odd to envision myself as "indie'. But that's my personal favourite.

"...And we are not angels, to be comforted by seeing the means for which everything is sent."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters

varve
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2024 @137.28 »

Iv got a new one  :grin:

"And as the mazy web she whirls," - The Lady of Shalott

Mazy Web seems to capture so much of what Iv always been trying to express but never put into words.

Mmmm, I like Mazy Web. It is a bit like a maze sometimes, and that's the fun of it.

While there are some parts of the old web I want to see come back (and some are! like webrings!) I'm not aiming for nostalgia, so revival is a bit iffy for me.

Small, cozy, wild, mazy. All excellent names for different purposes.
Yaya

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2024 @171.83 »

The Outer Web is really starting to grow on me! A web makes me think of things twisting and turning and connecting all together, and I like how outer makes the whole thing feel super accessible :melon: 
Paprika
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Go to the tanterwomps for they are lost in time

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!the one and only paprika!Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2024!
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2024 @934.40 »

I'm not a big fan of names or terms, there's often stuff at the edges that makes it barely qualifiable. It's like those music genres where people are gathering under one term and then it devolves into another, like :

- "I like this Metal Band"
- "Metal ? Bruh this is progressive undus-grind-christiancore, duh !"

Not sure I'm being clear but it might convey the image I want to show. I like "Wild Web" in the sense where it's just... wild. Like walking outside a comfort place where everything is clear and minimalist. Walking straight into a swamp where you don't know if you leg touched a tree root or a coral snake.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 58
Views: 8529
Last post March 30, 2024 @910.61
by Semper
Collecting Webgardens - Post your webgarden & greenhouse!

Started by MelooonBoard ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials

Replies: 37
Views: 15624
Last post July 27, 2024 @845.59
by OnBambisMind
Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 18
Views: 6610
Last post August 31, 2024 @266.71
by greyskieshappymind

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi