Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @128.84 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 17/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 872.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ❤︎ ∙ Greetings and Introductions
| | |-+  ❤︎ ∙ Post Greetings Here!
| | | |-+  Hello it is me Kat

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hello it is me Kat  (Read 456 times)
KatKing
Casual Poster ⚓︎

One little spark is all it takes

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: August 18, 2023 @730.59 »

I forgot to make an introduction, so here is mine!

I am Kat im 19 and i like to do alot of things

Why am I called kat? well, it is not my real name. When i first met my long lasting group of internet freinds my actual name was very long to say, so they wanted a nickname. One of them asked me what my favorite candy was, and I said kitkats. So my name become kat. People always think im named katherine hhaha :tnt:

Im an artist, and i like making weird but cute and visually appealing art. I take alot of inspiration from art of the past. From vintage story book art to garbage pail kids cards. I used to be only a digital artist, but i wanted to become more in tune with my art by experimenting with physical mediums. My favorite so far are acrylic paint and watercolor+colorpencil. I want to experiment more with incorporating other things in to my art, like clay, weird thrifstore finds, fabric, etc. Wish me luck!

I have a thread for my art here: Kat's Art Zone

And a thread for m y comic here: Goosechase - A mini comic

Heres my most recent art piece, I will talk more about it on my art thread:

I'd say I have alot of interests that involved the past. I love historic cities, and history in general. I love more modern history like 80s and 90s culture. I love old animation, old special effects, old fashion, etc. Im defiantly really into fashion, i thrift and make nearly all my clothes and accessories. My sister says I dress like a milkmaid, shes not wrong, i just like dresses and skirts alot. Music wise i also like alot of older songs, i just think they have a better sound to them. And i could spend all day downloading old abandonware and playing it.

Right now, im really into the history of Disney, especially Epcot. It was such a cool place before it got all modernized. I tend to look back through rose colored glasses alot, but i try to also be grateful for what we have acess to as a society right now. I also like alot of modern media too :) I think alot of cool stuff is coming out right now.

Im in sort of a weird place with my relationship with the internet. I grew up in a time where alot of kids started getting tablets and phones, but i was raised nearly completely screen and wifi free on a large, old farm property. We were right next to two horse farms. I played outside all day, every day. I had a nitendo ds, a wii, a dusty old boxy computer that we never used, and a dusty old boxy tv that only took dvds, and that was it. it wasnt until we moved when I was around 12 that I got access to all the modern stuff, and my life became a lot worse for it

So i dont have much knowladge about the old internet, besides my breif run-ins. Still, I see the old web as a much more healthy way of engaging with the internet. I wish to get back to that. Im also trying to watch more movies, find more music, etc, cause I missed out on that as a kid. But i wouldnt change my childhood for the world :chef:

I hope to have alot of fun here with you guys, i look forward to it. bye for now! :transport:

Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Memory
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023 @817.42 »

Hi Kat! Even if you've used the forum a little before now I'd still like to say welcome  :ozwomp: !! The reason behind your name is quite cute, it made me smile! I wish I had an interesting reason behind my username like yours!

I've seen some of your art around the forum already and I must admit that I adore it! Your visual art skill is really impressive and right up my street, your influences are clear to see in the best possible way while still feeling uniquely yours! In particular, your comic sounds so interesting and I love the art you've presented it with!

What makes you love history so much? I definitely hold a lot of nostalgia for my childhood especially, but I suppose I take certain parts of history for granted. Specifically cities and buildings, mostly because I live close enough to Edinburgh to be used to such things... You also mentioned the NDS! The DS system line is by far my most favourite consoles ever! Do you have any favourite games on the system? Or even on the Wii! I played a lot of that system too! If you have any recommendations then I'd love to hear them!

I hope you have a lot of fun on this forum and I look forward to seeing you post more! Also, I'm unsure if you'll make use of the welcome pack given that you seem to have explored a bit already- but I'll proivde it regardless  :dive: .

◖ ⊹  ׂׅ——ׂׅ—ׂׅ —  ࣪ ׅ୧ You got: Awhe's Welcome Pack!  :dive:  ୨⸼ – ׂׅ——ׂׅ—ׂׅ  ⊹ ◗
- Small reminder that the forum closes every Monday. Do not be alarmed! We'll be back every Tuesday!
KatKing
Casual Poster ⚓︎

One little spark is all it takes

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023 @927.09 »

Hi Kat! Even if you've used the forum a little before now I'd still like to say welcome  :ozwomp: !! The reason behind your name is quite cute, it made me smile! I wish I had an interesting reason behind my username like yours!

I've seen some of your art around the forum already and I must admit that I adore it! Your visual art skill is really impressive and right up my street, your influences are clear to see in the best possible way while still feeling uniquely yours! In particular, your comic sounds so interesting and I love the art you've presented it with!

What makes you love history so much? I definitely hold a lot of nostalgia for my childhood especially, but I suppose I take certain parts of history for granted. Specifically cities and buildings, mostly because I live close enough to Edinburgh to be used to such things... You also mentioned the NDS! The DS system line is by far my most favourite consoles ever! Do you have any favourite games on the system? Or even on the Wii! I played a lot of that system too! If you have any recommendations then I'd love to hear them!

I hope you have a lot of fun on this forum and I look forward to seeing you post more! Also, I'm unsure if you'll make use of the welcome pack given that you seem to have explored a bit already- but I'll proivde it regardless  :dive: .

◖ ⊹  ׂׅ——ׂׅ—ׂׅ —  ࣪ ׅ୧ You got: Awhe's Welcome Pack!  :dive:  ୨⸼ – ׂׅ——ׂׅ—ׂׅ  ⊹ ◗
- Small reminder that the forum closes every Monday. Do not be alarmed! We'll be back every Tuesday!

hehe, thanks. im really glad you like my art, that reminds me, i have some more pictures to post for goosechase today :dive:

As for why i like history, i think there are alot of cascading reasons. a bunch of little things that have led to one big interest. for starters, i like to think ive spent my whole life walking backwards looking at whats behind me instead of whats infront, im a very nostalgic person lol. Im putting my full answer in a spoiler because it's very long, i could talk about this for hours and i still wouldnt cover everything i love about looking at the past lol.
Spoiler
Some of its just aesthetic. I think older art graphics and film have a really nice look to them. acess to colors were more limited, so you got really vivid and interesting color combinations. old film is grainy with shifted colors and imperfections. It's like a window into another world. Our film now is so perfect it looks like real life. which is nice in some ways, but is so boring... and like with old movies, there wasnt an easy way to do anything, so people had to be more creative. weve been in a very sterile and boring period of art architecture and marketing and such for several years now and i hate it. Thankfully, it seems like we are maybe just starting to move on from that

I feel like things are just too easy for us some times, and its no fun when everyone takes the easy way. Nowadays if you want to make an advertisement for oranges, you spend an hour or so mocking up one with a few png and premade fonts. useful, but look at this beautiful handpainted old advertisement i found. theres so much intent and care and personality. i like stuff like that. it feels like recently, people dont get as much of an opportunity to care about what they create, even if they want to. they just have to keep making making making, as fast as possible.

i dont have a particular decade i like either. i like the 80s, the 1800s, sometimes i go on minecraft and pretend im a village women in an old town settlement.. or a nomad traveling vast plains. i just think its interesting to learn about a life that is different then your own. sometimes i wish i was a vampire, then i could experience it all.

part of it probably has to do with discontentment with the decade I live in now. We've done alot of good stuff recently, but actual day to day living for us just isnt that great. With social media, greedy companies, etc, its just hard to feel human. Life used to be slower, and i think we do better in that envoirment. Still, i think no matter what decade i lived in, i would like the past.

actually this clip from jerma sums up my thoughts pretty well LOL i just dont think how we live right now is good for our mental health, and least for me personaly

not to say life was always perfect in the past, far from it. we have alot of blessings now adays. like, im so thankful for vaccines and how so many people can easily access information, and how we are becoming more aware and empathic towards all the different people around us. But life also wasnt all just bad in the past. Theres good and bad in every decade. Even time periods we look down on as being undesirable still had people just living life. and they found joys and meaning in their lives too. I like to think about all the different stories of people, good and bad. i think it all still matters. and this decade we live in right now will matter too.

i only got a really big appreciation for historic cities when i visited savannah a year or so ago. It was so beautiful, creative, and unique. Everything was eyecandy, instead of big boxes. old houses still stood up, and they looked so loved and cared for. I stayed at the marshal house, a beautiful old inn that was never modernized. It felt like a home. even just the trees were so pretty, with age they twist and bend from blowing in the wind, leaving them looking absolutely magical

i just like unique and weird stuff as well. When you look back on the past, you find so many different ideas and aesthetics and design choices. If we stay only looking at what we do now, things will become steril, because we are only looking at one decade. (that goes for every decade, no matter what time you are in) One of my interests right now is the original Epcot. While I do love the 70s 80s aesthetic, i think the reason it is so good is not because its in the past, but because it's closest to its original vision. As time goes on, visions get muddied and overrun. The original had people who cared alot about it working on it, so it turned out wonderful. Now, not so much. Like a tv show that goes on for too long. Wonderful new ideas are being made right now too, so we should appreciate them. I just think we should also appreciate the past.

Im trying to back away from modern living a bit, for my own sake. Like, I want to get a record player or mp3, so i can actually enjoy music, instead of being overwhelmed by choice. theres such an overflow of information and content, its hard to enjoy any of it. i want to send letter instead of texts too, and have a garden instead of having to buy everything i eat. even just going to the library and reading is nicer then having to find all my information online. I want to hold stuff, and really read and appreciate peoples point of veiw. Instead of having to go the fast all the time. thats why i wanted to join this forum as well.

sometimes its hard for me not to feel dread for the future, and the past is just so nicely laid out and set in stone. Things like AI and climate change and such especially dont help. But i try to remember that this will soon be the past, and life still goes on. and if it helps my mental health to live like its 1980, then so be it haha.
[close]

ok wow thats basically an essay haha, sorry, sometimes i just to into it when im writing and the words just flow. even if i try to shorten it im like no that parts too important. but for a more simple question, my favorite game is probably Pokemon Diamond/Pearl! i first got my DS when i was very young, after my older cousin showed me her pokemon game. I thought it was so cool. Our mom let me and my sister save up for a DS by doing chores and such and we got those 2 games. Being a little girl in the 2000s i also got alot of branded shovelware, i really liked this little petshop game ive had. ive seen graphics from it show up on various nostalgic blogs and stuff. i dont know if this counts but when i played Mario 64 as a kid i played the DS version, so thats also one of my favorites.

on the wii I played Super mario brothers all the time with my mom. And mario cart. I remember playing kirby's epic yarn too, that games so cute. I dont know if i really have any reccomendations, because most i played were pretty popular. but if you havent played any of those, i would check it out.

thanks for the welcome pack and the nice reply, i really appreciate it! :transport:

Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi