Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @310.27 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: Love is not possession  :4u:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!
| | |-+  Do you know what you want to do in life? How did you find your passion?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Do you know what you want to do in life? How did you find your passion?  (Read 212 times)
litten
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Do what you want forever!

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: litten

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: September 13, 2024 @252.84 »

I've always been extremely apathetic towards work — I hated the idea of wasting away most of my life at a job that left me unfulfilled just to pay bills and stay alive. I hated how unfair the entire system was, employees getting paid so little while their labor puts money in the pockets of corporations and CEOs. I had no hope of ever finding a job I would enjoy, and thought I'd resort to leading a life I'd hate forever.

It was a very pessimistic viewpoint to have and just made me feel worse about it all. I turned 20 this year thankfully now that I'm settling into adulthood I'm starting to chill out and see the world in a more hopeful lens. I've had a job for over a year now and although it's not what I want to do forever, I don't hate it like I thought I would. I'm just left thinking: what's next? What do I want to do with my life?

Have you found your passion? What do you do/want to do? Was it always something you wanted to do, or did you discover it later in life? Do you ever have doubts? Do you feel fulfilled with your work life?

I think I want to be a programmer. I'm teaching myself web dev right now, but I might take a few actual classes in the future. It's something I have a lot of fun doing and I'm picking up pretty quickly. I don't know if it's something I would want to do forever but it's something I'm passionate about right now ^__^

Absentmind
Full Member ⚓︎

Torture me with sorcery

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Smashing Pumpkins Live June 2024 !First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2024 @538.15 »

Web design and development is my passion and I get to do it everyday which I am super thankful for! I didn't start my career in it until my late 20s, I think i always wanted to do it but I was always scared of it being something I couldn't do because I have a poor view of my own intellect. I eventually took the plunge into learning development after going to university for graphic design and I am way happier for it!

I was absolutely the same when I was in my late teens, the thought of having a job and being some corporate schmuck used to make my skin crawl. But as you age you tend to shed your teen angst and realise that work doesn't necessarily have to be the worst thing in the world, not every job is a corporate one and that you can also be your own boss!

I would say follow your heart with career stuff and work your hardest. I think a good bit of advice I would give is that, skills you develop are always transferable to other roles and your future career isn't linear, you never know where you might end up! Always shoot for opportunities when they are offered and you not doubt you'll be successful and HOPEFULLY happy doing it!

Paprika
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Go to the tanterwomps for they are lost in time

⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!the one and only paprika!Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2024 @598.52 »

I had my hobby since I'm 10 years old : comic-books.

It was a complete accident and I never thought it would evolve into a full fledged hobby. However I have almost no one to talk about it so it was difficult sometimes because I'm too enthusastic on the topic and people are still saying that I'm too invested in my hobby or that I talk too much about comics.

During high-school was the most difficult part for me, it was seen as something silly and/or for children so I quickly got labeled as "reads children books". During the next years I almost gave up but couldn't give up completely because when I felt alone or sad, there was always a comic-book to distract me.

Then came Facebook and everything which made me thought I'd meet a shit ton of comic-books fans or have a gorillion things to read. It was nice, for some time. Now I'm seeing sites I liked turning "pro" and selling themselves for a free book or giving AI-made comic-book reviews.

Taking a break from being always online on these sites rekindled my passion for my hobby and I'm making a chart for the upcoming years about what I read and how much of it, it's really interesting so far !

My hobby will always follow me and it's a nice escape from my daily life. My job isn't the coolest ever but it acceptable and being able to read at work from time to time makes it much much more enjoyable.
BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2024 @669.92 »

For me, "finding my passion" was a mixture of many things: One foundational experience, and many building blocks to further refine it into something realistic.

At age 10 I was sent to a child psychiatrist for an assortment of issues. The experience of someone explaining to me how my brain worked and why I was running into XYZ problems was dazzling, and more importantly it helped me. I came out of that experience knowing 1) this was a possible job, 2) it was fascinating to know all these things, 3) I wanted to be this person for someone else someday

For a while, I still held onto my initial belief to become a neurosurgeon. Once I saw my biology grades and new I had to veer into a different career path, I remembered this initial experience and how fascinating it was to explain behaviour like that. I juggled between that and anthropology for a moment, but from age 14 onwards I've had the resolve that I was gonna become a child psychiatrist.

The idea was generally mocked by adults who thought I could "do better," but I held firm that this is what I wanted - that I could mean something for others in this thing. Over time, through many conversations about possible options within the branch of child psychology, my sights were definitively set on becoming a researcher - which is what I'm doing right now.

A common advice is "don't make your passion into work", but I don't really agree with that. I truly love what I do every day. As I got closer to entering the workforce, I figured that working itself wasn't bothering me, but moreso the structure of 9-5s every day for the rest of my life. I don't know what I will be doing in 10 or 20 years, but at the very least I'm currently doing something that gives me energy instead of eating my life force.

My main advice would be to have many conversations with peers and adults alike. Take something you are passionate about and consider the many branches you can take in that career path. Do you like any of those ideas? Are they realistic? Do you have a backup, in case your plan A fails, that you would be content with? Bounce them off with others and see where you end up. And while you sometimes need to deal with reality, don't let anyone mock the thing you feel passion or excitement for.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024 @671.44 by BlazingCobaltX » Logged

bugfeli
Casual Poster

at the end of everything, hold onto anything

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: bugfelii
iMood: bufeli

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2024 @776.84 »

growing up a common theme between every other kid was that everyone already seemed to know what they wanted to be in life. i heard everything from firefighters to something like a chef, everyone from the moment they were born already kinda knew what they were going to commit to. which isnt to say that everyone stuck with their original choices, i know many who didnt, but at least people like that had some sense of what they wanted to do when they were older. when i was that age, i hadn't the slightest idea of what i wanted to be, or how to figure that out.

though, since i grew up in a rural area, farming was always an option if everything else failed, but it was pretty frowned upon since everyone had someone in their family who had a farm that their parents would send them to if they were failing in public school. but, since the high school i go to got some pretty good government funding we were able to afford an AG program that delved into the science of plants rather than traditional growing practices. i think it was there, in my first year, i realized plants were my calling.

theres times when i worry that what i study wont really lead me anywhere, but plants are really all around us. and to be honest, I think that plants are so fascinating that any job working with them would feel fulfilling. i have an internship currently as a farm hand in a large-scale greenhouse, though most of it is labor its still pretty fun and has helped me grasp just how far my admiration towards plants goes.  :innocent:

everything is ok!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2024 @814.18 »

I think I've always believed in the heros journey idea of how life works ~ which is definitely a fault! Life is not a movie, but I have a bad habit of thinking it is one  :tongue:

Anyway, I feel like my idea of life was defined by films like Big, Ghostbusters, The Dark Crystal etc - in all these films the main character is just existing, and then some external force comes in and pulls them out of their daily life into an adventure.

In a lot of small ways that has happened in my life; I did not plan to have anything to do with the web, but finding Neocities pulled me out of one path I was on and set me on another ~ the key thing is being ready to take on an adventure when it arrives.

At times I thought Id be a businessman with a big office in a skyscraper; or later a programmer, or later a game designer, or later an artist, and maybe something new is on the horizon. They are all little lives, and I'm not sure Id want to be in any one forever. Unlike a movie, one of the nice things about getting older is realizing that you have more than one life in a lifetime. Paths that are closed may open again, the past and the future are like other yous.

Or maybe its more like you stay as yourself, but the world (your job, your house, your body, your friends) they swirl around you like a slow storm. So from my seat I'd say the key thing is taking leaps and having those adventures, none of them are perfect, but they are all part of what adds up to become your life  :4u:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
candycanearter07
Full Member ⚓︎

i like slimes

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy CaneJoined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2024 @79.14 »

@Melooon Finding people and little events that look cool are the best way to find new interests, and I feel like people (and I) doon't really think of that much. For instance, I would've absolutely not become an artist if I hadn't joined some youtuber's discord, as weird as that sounds. I really feel like having people with different interests let you experiment with different things while having a kinda safety net and not feeling like it's a massive commitment.

I was absolutely the same when I was in my late teens, the thought of having a job and being some corporate schmuck used to make my skin crawl. But as you age you tend to shed your teen angst and realise that work doesn't necessarily have to be the worst thing in the world, not every job is a corporate one and that you can also be your own boss!

As someone who is still in that teen angst phase and doesn't exactly have a job yet because of that corporate fear, this did feel a bit comforting.

I will say though that it was basically guaranteed I'd be a programmer from a very young age, like basically all of my teachers were like "oh you'll be a great game developer" when I showed them my stupid little python scripts and stuff. Currently getting a CS degree, sooooo
« Last Edit: September 14, 2024 @107.40 by Melooon » Logged

new to oldnet be nice

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Wilde Life by Pascalle Lepas

Started by demonologiBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 1
Views: 1515
Last post March 20, 2023 @564.03
by debleb
What would your life look like in the Pokemon universe?

Started by TAS_1KBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 18
Views: 2688
Last post August 09, 2024 @636.71
by Nikodile
Things that bring meaning to your life?

Started by MelooonBoard ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!

Replies: 13
Views: 1672
Last post January 02, 2023 @567.69
by tokoissick

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi