Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 09 Oct 2026 - @354.35
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: Love is not possession  :4u: Guild Events: weekly zine jam 15: dreams
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Worlds & Video Games
| |-+  ⚽︎ ∙ Look ma, I made a game!
| | |-+  Tny: a tiny virtual console


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Tny: a tiny virtual console  (Read 3633 times)
m15o
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: m15o

Artifacts:
Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: Spring, 07 Apr 2023 @208 » Embed

Hi everyone!

Lately I've been having fun writing virtual game consoles. I find it fascinating to write their instruction set, define how they should execute machine code, and everything else. My goal was to design a machine that is simple enough to let even beginners write simple games in assembly code directly. So here's tny: tny.m15o.net.

I've added a few games such as:

Hope you enjoy :)

Logged

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #1 on: Spring, 07 Apr 2023 @513 » Toggle Font Embed

This reminds me of being back in my assembly course  :tongue: 

I got a pretty high score on snake! The programming side is cool, although maybe more for a computer science person. I could see this being really popular for schools or people teaching computing foundations  :grin:

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: Have a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3curious fish
TheFrugalGamer
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
See A Bug Summer 2025 ParticipantGreat Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: Spring, 07 Apr 2023 @587 » Toggle Font Embed

Oh, I love fantasy consoles! This is really impressive, and I really like the amount of documentation you've given for it. I'm not super great with assembly code, so I'm not sure if I could code anything for this, but I'm definitely adding it to my list of cool development tools.

Logged


Artifact Swap: Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Pink TulipEmerald OreAquamarine
fizzylimesoda
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: lime360
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: lime360
PicMix: fizzylimesoda
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS
OS: Bazzite
Newgrounds: lime360

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: Spring, 07 Apr 2023 @627 » Embed

this actually looks pretty cool!

Logged

https://files.catbox.moe/jy0by2.png
https://lime360.nekoweb.org/img/blinkiesCafe-M0.gif
https://lime360.nekoweb.org/img/blinkiesCafe-H9.gif

Artifact Swap: u rock
Memory
Guest

« Reply #4 on: Spring, 07 Apr 2023 @663 » Embed

this is cool as heck! i love the amount of documentation and software you’ve provided. i’ll definitely have to look into this further.

it’s very similar to a fantasy console that i made several years ago called “diode”. it had an 8x8 instead of a 16x16 screen so that i could use off-the-shelf 8x8 LED matrices for it, but it was similar in other ways - it also had 256 bytes of RAM and a controller with a d-pad and 2 action buttons. however, it was a harvard architecture machine where the RAM and ROM (also 256 bytes) were in two separate address spaces.

i even created a real handheld console for it that ran on an arduino nano with interchangeable game cartridges that contained I2C EEPROM chips, but sadly that project seems to have been lost to time. annoyingly, i can’t even find any photos of it. maybe someday i’ll also try to make a real, physical console for tny as well!

Logged
m15o
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: m15o

Artifacts:
Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #5 on: Spring, 08 Apr 2023 @395 » Embed

Quote
This reminds me of being back in my assembly course  :tongue:

I got a pretty high score on snake! The programming side is cool, although maybe more for a computer science person. I could see this being really popular for schools or people teaching computing foundations  :grin:

Haha thanks a lot Melon! It motivates me to write even more documentation so that perhaps it helps people who want to get started with assembly. Congrats on the snake one! Yesterday, as I was in the train, I tried to put together what should eventually resemble a tetris-like game.


Quote
Oh, I love fantasy consoles! This is really impressive, and I really like the amount of documentation you've given for it. I'm not super great with assembly code, so I'm not sure if I could code anything for this, but I'm definitely adding it to my list of cool development tools.

Thank you!

Quote
this actually looks pretty cool!

Appreciate it! :)

Quote
this is cool as heck! i love the amount of documentation and software you’ve provided. i’ll definitely have to look into this further.

it’s very similar to a fantasy console that i made several years ago called “diode”. it had an 8x8 instead of a 16x16 screen so that i could use off-the-shelf 8x8 LED matrices for it, but it was similar in other ways - it also had 256 bytes of RAM and a controller with a d-pad and 2 action buttons. however, it was a harvard architecture machine where the RAM and ROM (also 256 bytes) were in two separate address spaces.

i even created a real handheld console for it that ran on an arduino nano with interchangeable game cartridges that contained I2C EEPROM chips, but sadly that project seems to have been lost to time. annoyingly, i can’t even find any photos of it. maybe someday i’ll also try to make a real, physical console for tny as well!

Wow! I love that you also had create a little machine as well. I would also love at some point to build it into a handheld console, potentially with arduino as well! Thanks for mentioning harvard architecture, I didn't know about it but will look into it. :)

Logged

Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe