Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 28, 2024 - @995.17 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings
| | | |-+  Webring for Pixel Dolling sites

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Webring for Pixel Dolling sites  (Read 1146 times)
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« on: February 19, 2023 @818.45 »

I haven't come across many on this board who are into pixel dolls, but I think this definitely fits into the web revival spirit we have here. Plus, I'm just kind of proud of my work and want to show it off  :cheesy:

I'm making a webring for dolling sites! Currently it's only got my dolls page and the site itself, but I want to see if I can get a good collection of artists and fans to join in because I know there are a lot of them out there!

https://pixelcuties.club/

If you're not familiar with Pixel Dollz, you've probably seen them floating around somewhere. They're pixelated hand-drawn people who are built on "bases" - blank bodies and heads that are made by artists and redistributed to folks who want to use them. They're usually pretty small (about 100px high or so), but more recent ones are larger due to the bigger screens we have now. I used to be into them a whole lot when I was younger, and when I dipped back into the web revival those were some of the first things I got back into. It's known for being kind of a "girly" old internet hobby, but recently has been recognized as a legitimate internet art form (and it's for everyone, not just "girls"!).

Edit: Welp, I just realized we have a Webring subforum. Does this topic need to be moved? I'm sorry!  :drat:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023 @821.47 by TheFrugalGamer » Logged

dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023 @845.07 »

Hey, this is really fun I am loving this pixel dolls thing!  :omg: Do you know any other good pixel dollz sites I could visit

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023 @947.48 »

I have a links section on my links page that I try to add to when I have time. I'll probably reach out to some of the folks about seeing if they want to join eventually:

https://www.thefrugalgamer.net/links.php#dollzLinks

Necrosia
Full Member ⚓︎

Lord of the Labyrinth

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Welcome Soup!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023 @156.83 »

Hello, count me in!!
I am currently planing to write a wiki on dolls, the article on dollzmaniabackup is pretty good but I want to expand more on it! :D

We dollers are hiding here:
https://pixellounge.boards.net/

I just recently (last week, literally) came with this idea of trying to bring dollers and oldweb fans together since a huge deal of dolling back then was having your own site so I love your webring idea very much! I'd love to collaborate more and work together if you are interested!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023 @159.20 by necrosia » Logged

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023 @678.78 »

Oh, I'd love that! And I totally just signed up for your forum too, I didn't notice you ran that until you mentioned it.   :grin:

Necrosia
Full Member ⚓︎

Lord of the Labyrinth

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023 @785.43 »

:transport:
I will spam the webring in the discord and forum when I am done working today (I also need to join it myself) buahaha
Just recently we did a forum collab dollmaker, the name sounds cheesy but basically everybody did a lil something and we created a huge dollmaker.

I`m sorry if I seem super excited but I am just so happy to have found a fellow doller who can code and create stuff too and is super into it, lets work on all sort of projects together  :unite:

( I sent you a lil something there as a welcome gift, it doesnt show on mobile tho )
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023 @786.85 by necrosia » Logged

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023 @880.87 »

Holy crap, that dollmaker is awesome!!! You all did a wonderful job with it, and I like how it's kind of unisex by default. And thank you for the boost on the webring!

Thank you for the welcome gift also! There's so much to explore over there, that I think I'm going to devote tonight to looking through all the art and games. Seems like it's a great community!

Necrosia
Full Member ⚓︎

Lord of the Labyrinth

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023 @378.77 »

@TheFrugalGamer
I was looking into joining the webring as I never did so before and I was wondering if there is any way to join without injecting javascript into my page? I realized this is common practice but I was wondering if there is any other way, maybe can I just link to the webring page?

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023 @623.60 »

You know, I hadn't actually thought of that! Yes, I think a link back should work for now, but in the meantime I can look into setting up a non-javascript version. I could probably do it with frames and some php, so the processing would all be server side. Do you mind using frames on your site?

Necrosia
Full Member ⚓︎

Lord of the Labyrinth

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023 @642.13 »

I have another idea, I had it yesterday during insomnia so I didn’t have the time to test it out but let me know whatcha think.

This idea requires 0 javascript, 0 frames, 0 php. What if instead of using code to make the redirection to other members we used the host configuration? I am not sure if this is something all hosts allow people to do but its worth a shot.

Let's say you are member number 1, your site is Banana.
Your assigned address at the webring would be https://pixelcuties.club/1
when someone tries to access pixelcuties.club/1 they would be redirected to banana

You would place a link to pixelcuties.club/2 regardless of who it is or if it already exists.

Later I join the webring, my assigned address is https://pixelcuties.club/2.
My website is Melon
when someone tries to access pixelcuties.club/2 they would be redirected to Melon

When members join or become inactive its as simple as changing the address being redirected in the host.

If I become inactive the admin can simply change pixelcuties.club/2 to redirect to Tofu, the site of the newest member.

This way even people with only deviantart accounts can join since they need to only place a common link in their journals.

Watcha think? I will have to try it out by myself.

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2023 @127.23 »

Hm, I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean via the .htaccess file in my webhosting? The other way would be via custom domain records, which I can do, but it's a bit tedious, and I'm worried about the long-term maintainability. If it's via the .htaccess file I could probably do that--I'd just have to look into it because the last time I delved into those I couldn't make everything work and I had the wrong commands lol   :ozwomp:

doubleincision

iMood: doubleincision

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2023 @375.73 »

YES i would love to join this ring. i will abide by the rules, though— i gotta get my own dollmaker up and running again before i join :grin: thank you for the dose of motivation!

Necrosia
Full Member ⚓︎

Lord of the Labyrinth

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2023 @711.54 »

@TheFrugalGamer
First and foremost I think it can be pretty rude of me to come here on this thread and tell you how to do stuff and flood you with unsolicited opinions so please forgive me if I sound condescending!

To justify myself, I personally don't like the idea of having to inject third-party javascript and css into a page to simply join a webring, it feels too dangerous for no reasonable motive, I am well aware this is how most webrings do it but I still don't think it justifies the risk.

Dollers these days don't have websites, sadly! Most of them are on deviantart and those who do have websites are using wordpress and other engines so having javascript or frames as a pre-requisite cuts out a huge chuck of people. It would be lovely if our peeps could all go back to having their own handmade site but before that can be a reality I feel like the entry bar for the webring should be as low as possible (not on quality, but on technical prerequisites).

I also realize my opinion is pretty biased because I am taking in consideration only the folks over at Pixel Lounge and not the other spare lost dollers out there but exactly because Pixel Lounge is the biggest active community right now it's a good place to start and proceed to fish the other lost dollers in the wild.

Those are my motives, they are all with the best of the intentions to unite the doll people but I realize it can also sound pretty condescending so feel free to ignore what I am writing here, no hard feelings  :transport:

That being said, here is the actual solution prototype I came up with:
The webring: http://webring.chosenfantasy.com/

Member 1 will be assigned the following link: https://webring.chosenfantasy.com/members/1/
Member 1 will place a simple image or text on their site with mapped links over it sending who clicks it to member number 2 link
Member 2 will be assigned the following link: https://webring.chosenfantasy.com/members/2/

Inside each member page I am simply doing this:
Code
 <?php echo "<script>location.href='http://member.site;com/';</script>"; ?>

The problem webrings try to solve with javascript is that the last person who joins doesnt have anyone else to link to yet and members can go inative so in order to not have people having to update their links and codes everytime theres a change webrings centralize it on a js file which is a good solution but it can be simplified even more I think.

This way I proposed anyone can do it, even members with basic deviantart accounts since they are able to place links and images on their profiles. The member number is always increased +1 so the last member can simple link to member N+1, the webring admin simple has to map that link to the next new member when it arrives, before that  webring.chosenfantasy.com/N+1 can simple link to member 1, closing the chain until the newest addition!

I hope I made sense  :unite:

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2023 @854.86 »

@necrosia No need to apologize! Folks asking for new features is how I learn a lot of things, and I know a lot of folks don't like external javascript, even if it's not a problem I have myself. I'd like to be able to accommodate as many folks as possible, both because I like to be inclusive, but also because like I said, it help me to learn things.

Also, sorry for the late reply! I took your suggestions, and I decided to make them work with PHP, because I wanted a few more features out of it. After a lot of searching for different terms, and doing a lot of testing, I think I've got it! I now have a non-Javascript version up on the Join page; it just requires the user to change an ID variable in the link codes to reflect the member number they'll have. I'd like to make it even easier, but I'm not sure how to do that just yet.

But basically, it's similar to what you've posted, only the links are located here:

https://pixelcuties.club/prev.php?id=1
https://pixelcuties.club/next.php?id=1

Eventually I'll get the random button working too (that one's only on the JS widget for now), but it will require some more work. Also, both your site and Pixel Lounge are on the list now because I needed more sites on the list to test with  :ok:

Necrosia
Full Member ⚓︎

Lord of the Labyrinth

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2023 @5.71 »

Awesome, thank you so much!!!  :transport:

Do you want me to send an email asking to join as per written on the rules or may I consider myself a member already? XD because I just added the webring to my link pages
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023 @7.33 by Necrosia » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 243
Views: 20439
Last post March 05, 2024 @666.35
by grubbyfox
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 0
Views: 5323
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
Pixel Art - Mini Contest - New message icons!

Started by MelooonBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 19
Views: 3289
Last post January 24, 2024 @827.36
by slimeteefs

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi