Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 23, 2024 - @842.93 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 48/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  What is something about your childhood that you DON'T miss?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: What is something about your childhood that you DON'T miss?  (Read 6976 times)
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: January 11, 2022 @63.88 »

"Old times where better" is a popular statement, however, the people who say it are just ordinary people being nostalgic over everything. So to be fair, what is something that you DON'T miss about childhood?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023 @113.56 by Icelogist » Logged

:ozwomp: my beloved

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022 @81.00 »

Oh no you'll start me on a rant! I think in many ways a lot of the things I miss are also things I dont miss. For example I miss old TVs but I also DO NOT miss old TVs :omg:k:

That said a few stand outs are:
  • Crappy cheap tech - mobile phones are SO MUCH nicer now!
  • Not being able to watch what I want - depending on broadcast TV
  • Clique culture and the 00s obsession with being cool allllll the time
  • Long shipping times and limited selection of goods in shops
  • The entire existence of chans and early meme culture (which mainly involved stick figure animations for some reason)
  • Flash
  • Being embarrassed by EVERYTHING
  • The price of DVDs on launch (They used to be $60 new)
  • Everything that happend from 2005 to 2015 :ziped:

In terms of actually being a child/teen, I don't miss not having the knowledge or skill to express myself and understand who I am, that has been a long painful process to figure out! (I guess that goes for everyone though)

What do you not miss ice?

EDIT: OH also not being able to read/spell (like at all), growing up with really bad dyslexia is troublesome :ohdear:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022 @83.15 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022 @95.68 »

(this reply was stupid)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022 @746.17 by Icelogist » Logged

:ozwomp: my beloved

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022 @557.65 »

One thing I don't miss about my childhood is school. It probably did me good, but I hated having to constantly go. The field trips were fun, though!

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Nightdrift
Full Member ⚓︎

Suspicious Activity™

StatusCafe: nightdrift

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022 @340.05 »

Fun topic Ice! Just as there are old things I miss, there are plenty of things I'm glad to no longer have to deal with as readily:

• Security flaws and online/computer security in general. Perhaps this is more specific to old school viruses, those were VERY intimidating to deal with as a kid.
  • Not always being able to find the information I wanted to find (or perhaps just being too lazy to read some of the more dense material, at the time : P Although I think this issue may have evolved into a different form of not being able to find info due to search engine shenanigans...)
  • Some aspects early internet culture...while the wild-west nature of the web was very liberating, it could get pretty brutal or distasteful out there. The modern mainstream culture is also a little disheartening so maybe some things never change, but it felt significantly more intimidating to deal with, again, when I was younger.
  • Feeling like I had to change what I liked to fit in with the crowd...which I admittedly did NOT do because I liked my stuff too much, but it didn't change the fact it still made you feel like a weirdo!
  • On the topic of school, mandatory physical education...the idea is good, but my memories of those courses...awful.
  • Having programs that crashed on you CONSTANTLY, or computers that could not handle the work you wanted to make.
  • Programs that were just clunky to work with in general. Modern programs are scarily/impressively robust o_o
  • EDIT: Being REALLY bad at building websites LOL, I definitely could not wrap my head around CSS, and that was a very dark existence.

I'm sure this list is not exhaustive, but those are the main things that come up off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022 @343.15 by Nightdrift » Logged

Status Cafe Profile
di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022 @173.69 »

Calling someone on their house phone, and having someone else pick up lol.. :ohdear: It's not too big a deal but I'm glad my calls and messages can go straight to me/my recipient and I don't have to share the line now.

Edit: Also, cringe culture! that sort of thinking is so annoying
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022 @964.71 by di » Logged

aralsheart

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022 @916.48 »

chainmail.
fucking. chainmail.
easy_breezy

PonPon

iMood: hax_man

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022 @781.23 »

I'm probably the last generation to have cable. Many a show I liked got shafted due to low ratings, bad times, and the more obscure cartoon community at the time.

Not to mention, the internet is more convenient and has content made by independent creators. I would say kids today have it good but elsagate exists and popular sites have gotten more unfriendly to small creators.

What do you call that, a double edged sword?

So I was at the cash register when I realized, I GOT NO MONEY. I was seriously broke.
Altair
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022 @326.17 »

About my childhood, The main thing that I don't miss is that I would just binge watch YouTube, Netflix, DVDs, and not much else, even if that introduced me to some good stuff, I would just watch without even thinking of trying out the cool stuff I was shown. I really wished that I spent my childhood more wisely. Even now I would just spend hours on social media just binge watching until I realize that I have stuff that I want to do, even if I am trying to stay away.
As someone as who wasted her 20's and technically childhood I agree.
As a kid I watched way too much tv and did really nothing else. Sure I played some sports, basketball being my game and sport. Played with the neighbor hood kids when I lived at my grandparents house. We moved though and that ended. My childhood drifted away and I do not have very fond memories of it. I was loved but I don't look back and say wow I liked my childhood.
Also I was treated like an imbecile throughout school. Just an example as I was put in a group to learn how to count money in the fifth grade. Not fond memories of school.
In the last year I have learned to move on from past mistakes and let my past go.

Having programs that crashed on you CONSTANTLY, or computers that could not handle the work you wanted to make.
Yes. That was annoying. It took forever to get on the internet.
Cyberiantiger

Live in the Cyber-Space

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022 @527.28 »

One thing I don't miss, my youth.

But there are a few things I don't miss:

• Slow internet connections: 1MB download speed I'll never want to go back to again.
  • Serious security flaws in computers: Back then virus where pretty bad.
  • CRTs, I know a lot of people enjoy these and I can totally understand that. But the consent high pitch sound hurts my ears after a while. I'm very much enjoying the 144hz Monitor I got a few years ago.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022 @528.60 by Cyberiantiger » Logged
easy_breezy

PonPon

iMood: hax_man

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022 @608.43 »

• Having programs that crashed on you CONSTANTLY, or computers that could not handle the work you wanted to make.
  • Programs that were just clunky to work with in general. Modern programs are scarily/impressively robust o_o

Nothing has really changed

So I was at the cash register when I realized, I GOT NO MONEY. I was seriously broke.
di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022 @12.29 »

CRTs, I know a lot of people enjoy these and I can totally understand that. But the consent high pitch sound hurts my ears after a while.

Ahhhh it's horrible, don't remind me! And worst of all, people over a certain age can't hear it, meanwhile it's driving me crazy and people think I'm crazy trying to explain the sound it's making :innocent:

Aesthetically they are kind of cute though

fLaMEd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022 @815.23 »

I agree with di on the landline/home phone thing. I hated calling friends and getting their parents or sibblings lol!

I don't miss dial up internet, having it disconnect all the time, even with a dedicated phoneline was painfull.

I don't miss forced activities, there were some that I simply did not enjoy!
dokodemo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

*Toro dancing* *Toro dancing* *Toro dancing* *Toro

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022 @2.95 »

Waking up in the middle of the night to one of those tornado warnings on television. Do those still exist? Did they change that god awful sound? I still remember the feeling of being a 5 year old all alone in my room and about to cry because I was too scared to go up to the television and turn it off. The sound was scary!

A hungry Shinx appears!

Kutan

Chitter Critter

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2022 @189.69 »

Oh man, there's so many in this topic that I agree with! A special shout-out to "crappy cheap tech." I bought stuff like the Game.com and the Cybiko because I really, really wanted some form of internet in a portable form factor, but those things never delivered. Now you can buy a TracFone for $20 at a Walmart checkout endcap and go online no matter where you are. Incredible!

Ooh, and I don't miss video game prices. Man, you adjust for inflation, and games were REALLY expensive. Digital downloads have made things soooo much cheaper and more convenient.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I miss the old internet-but I never experienced it.

Started by syx (dead)Board ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 13
Views: 2212
Last post October 08, 2022 @645.95
by manpaint
Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 35
Views: 3207
Last post April 10, 2024 @598.32
by Misanthropic Monster™
Why do you watch YouTube?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 55
Views: 5237
Last post April 10, 2024 @574.35
by Misanthropic Monster™

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi