Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 23, 2024 - @797.66 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  What helped you code html/css easy?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What helped you code html/css easy?  (Read 1300 times)
LIA

closing time

StatusCafe: six
iMood: sintax

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: April 19, 2023 @737.34 »

Sometimes I feel a bit behind on the coding train. :ohdear:  I know some code but  I cant make big huge cool panels and headers and footers so I just use templates. How did you make coding easy for you?
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023 @749.25 »

The best way to learn is to start with small projects that force you to push yourself - For example, my first JavaScript project was this, and I really struggled with it even though it's super simple - I did a bunch of small JS projects like that and after about 4 months I was able to make GifyPet which in turn allowed me to make the whole Ozwomp Game engine a few years later.

So you start very small and work your way up! It can also be really helpful to study other people's code (particularly if its slightly ahead of where you are, but not too complex) - try and figure out how they think and solve problems - maybe even try and reconstruct their code to do something slightly differently (e.g. take a name generator and use it to generate random sentences or something)  :pc:

ALSO, I realised after typing this that you meant code, as in HTML, not Javascript  :tongue:

But the same still applies, start with simple pages, design them from the ground up, add in some CSS, study other sites, repeat and build your way up! My first hand-coded site in 2011 was a white page with some centerd text and a few images - a year later (and a few month os studying webdesign in college) I worked on this as a group project in college, which directly lead to all my sites now.

Overall its just really important to remember you have to start small and work up; you cant skip to being an expert - but whatever point your at its great and you should be happy with it, but also be excited to try and outdo yourself too!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023 @750.69 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023 @762.20 »

Inspecting elements of sites I like (rightclicking on a specific part and then clicking Inspect, for example), rightclick > show source code on websites and clicking through their linked stuff and CSS files to see how they did it. Asking ChatGPT for definitions and explanations and example code, researching on StackOverflow, and also understanding and changing parts of code of the projects on CodePen.io to see how it affects the preview so I can internalize how things work and what is affected by what.

I was also stubborn and only used the Neocities editor for a while. But using a specific software to code makes it easier and helps internalizing some of the stuff (the correct syntax etc) because it corrects you or autofills it. I use Brackets.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Skykristal
Jr. Member ⚓︎

I may be dead but I am here

StatusCafe: skykristal
iMood: Skykristal

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023 @767.18 »

I actually didn't understood coding much until I actually understood what the code I was writing is even doing. If you know structure (Html) and style (CSS) the rest becomes quite easy. I agree with analysis and looking up what other websites do. I often inspected lots of elements in the browser, did redesign, different colours etc, before I made my own actual code and layouts.
It can also help to use frameworks BUT to understand those frameworks as well. With a framework you have classes and styles ready for you to use. Look up thier code and explore it. It will help you understand a lot of things as well.

Read My Blog ⋆。°✩ Punch my OCs  ⋆。°✩ View my Gallery
Mayflower
Casual Poster ⚓︎

I slay all day

iMood: Azalea

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023 @880.74 »

My Method to learning HTML and CSS was to just throw stuff at the wall and see what looks good, and what doesnt!
Its an absolute mess yes but it helped me hugely with learning what you can and cant do.

For example I remember implementing the credit card check for "premium" in php! Most of it was code i found online to regex the card number and see if its following a real card pattern
if all the checks pass you get to witness
Code
body{background-color: gray;}
in all its glory, if not you get a silly little response telling you which part didnt validate!

But even before that, I experimented with a """Banning""" System where clicking a button would get you """banned""" when all it did was add a cookie that got check on site launch. If it was present it redirected you to the steam "Help ive been vac banned" page which was a fun little project to figure out!

So just be silly and do some small projects of whatever comes to mind! And if you need help you can always ask other people for ideas

Im so ⦜⠱⸣⃲⼭❌ⶳ℟♯◃❤⑬⇤⌂⤞Ⲯ⸚⃠⎳⎞⮌⥣ⱨ :cheerR:
teatime
Full Member ⚓︎

RAAAAAAGH

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023 @884.40 »

i think my most valuable resource was freecodecamp. all of their courses are meant for people getting into coding for work purposes, but their guided html/css course is extremely handy. also i just check back and forth between w3schools and youtube guides if i don't know how to do something.  :ok:
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023 @941.38 »

I just took people's free to use templates and started modifying them. Figuring out changing what in the code changes what on the site. Removing stuff, adding stuff. Little by litte, I have learned.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023 @949.28 »

I used freecodecamp to learn Html and CSS.

It's easy as instead of jibber-jabbing for 15 hours on how to code they actually tell you (in a written text) how to do something and then let you do it for yourself in a interactive learning thingy.

It's easier to learn when you're actually doing the stuff you want to learn and not some useless stuff.
lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360
Matrix: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023 @618.37 »

of course w3schools

myrrhdoll
Newbie ⚓︎

something's on your shoulder (it's me)

StatusCafe: telltaleheart

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2023 @45.93 »

I was taught HTML and CSS at school! Although, I only really learned about 1% of what I know now about HTML/CSS there, it was still super helpful since it taught me the foundations of stuff, like the syntax and the box model. Everything else I know now came from experience and YouTube videos. Inspecting other people's code was like my main learning resource.

~ the realest of them all... ~
do what you love!
Quinn
Casual Poster ⚓︎

EW THERE IS A THIN SLUG ON TEH GROUND *braf*

StatusCafe: riley
iMood: riley_

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2023 @781.71 »

sometimes i copied people's css and tweaked it....
when i first started doing css i copied someone's very simple css layout, changed the dimensions, colours and backgrounds. i still have subpar css skills x_x

robkies
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2023 @838.69 »

i mean i started learning how to edit code by uh... trying to get free robux im not joking
years later i wanted to make my own website and learned how to easy stuff (like adding images and writing) at school, but i really wanted to make an entire website and that's when i found out about sadgrl's layout builder. i still use it but it's heavily modified. im no expert in html and css, of course. i don't think i can even make a sidebar without using code from the internet lol, i can say im kinda decent at html/css? but really w3schools and stack overflow are my saviors lol
Swiftpaw

it/its

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2023 @831.19 »

This is absolutely not for everyone, but college classes. I attended a small and local college online where everything was covered by financial aid and got an associates for web development.

For me personally the structure and forced deadlines helped me stay on track with learning HTML/CSS and it's easier to be a little cheap with online classes, especially if you're only taking a few at a time.

fatgrrlz
Jr. Member ⚓︎

She/They Girl-thing

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2023 @875.75 »

Books! Nothing like a little support from your local public library. There were some books I checked out from when I had my web design courses for college (we had to make some kind of website for a particular industry and I made a tourism site to visit New Vegas.. from Fallout: New Vegas  :cheesy: ), and from a little personal project I did sometime after.

Only problem with books is that they can be somewhat outdated, but in terms of learning the ropes it helped me a ton. When I have some time, I can share the ones I used :3

Grimlock
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Harley | He/they |

StatusCafe: dinosaur
iMood: Grimlock

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2023 @972.08 »

i actually don't know html that well but i personally got really into css when i installed stylus to use a dark mode style on flight rising and when i discovered that people could just make dark mode styles for any site i tried it out myself and really enjoyed the process. i mainly look stuff up when i get stumped though (mostly when making other tweaks for sites)

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Deltarune Chapter 2 and The Goner Code

Started by DoctorScreechBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 0
Views: 2547
Last post December 03, 2021 @256.40
by DoctorScreech
Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 35
Views: 3207
Last post April 10, 2024 @598.32
by Misanthropic Monster™
What do you use to code websites?

Started by neoratzBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 62
Views: 5301
Last post October 29, 2023 @752.06
by wetnoodle

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi