Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 28, 2024 - @778.54 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 37/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Do you have any web and/or coding habits?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Do you have any web and/or coding habits?  (Read 888 times)
Skykristal
Jr. Member ⚓︎

I may be dead but I am here

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: skykristal
iMood: Skykristal

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: May 11, 2023 @822.56 »

I was curious about if you have weird or funny habits about coding your site, browsing the web, and just using tech in general. :grin:

Here are some of mine
- I always have way too many tabs open in my browser
- I right-click to copy something but always use strg + v to paste in. I never copy using keys.
- I barely shutdown my laptop and leave it in standby
- I change my wallpaper way too often
- If a site's profile offers it, the first thing I do after sign up is to customize every inch of it
- (phone) I keep specific tabs of interesting sites open for months to "save them for later" but never do everything with them.

Read My Blog ⋆。°✩ Punch my OCs  ⋆。°✩ View my Gallery
Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

iMood: Commodorn

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Mushroom MadnessMessage BuddyJoined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023 @874.80 »

Well, here's some of mine:

* Playing something to accompany me while coding, reading, or writing before realizing that it's making it too hard to focus on what I'm doing, changing it to the same jazz album I play when I just want background music, getting annoyed because of how it doesn't fit my mood in the moment with how upbeat it is, stopping it, thinking for a few moments, and then giving up doing anything online entirely for a few hours.

* Speaking to myself out loud about what I want to do for my site (or anything else) and how I'm going to execute it like I'm actually talking to somebody else. Complete with phrases that often come after the attempted execution like "Oh wait, that looks like shit. Hold on", ".. Am I stupid?", and "Ehh, good enough."

* Setting a YouTube video on loop and leaving it that way so my computer doesn't fall asleep while I go off to make lunch or tea.

* Almost obsessively looking up the definitions and spellings of words I'm unsure of on a regular basis.

* Saying "That's interesting."/"That's nice." either when I actually see something I find interesting/nice or when I see something that's mildly disconcerting.

"Please, captain. Not in front of the Klingons."
doubleincision

iMood: doubleincision

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023 @945.06 »

whenever i'm on the computer, i stim with the mouse by tapping it on the mousepad. probably bad for the mouse, but the thump is satisfying :ok: and i like to fling my cursor around the screen and touch all the corners, that's a stim i've done for as long as i can even remember! i also like to gently run my fingers over my mechanical keyboard for those good clackety-clack sounds. also, poking and squishing the little padded wrist rest i have for my keyboard. computers are very stimmy for me i guess :grin:

Speaking to myself out loud about what I want to do for my site (or anything else) and how I'm going to execute it like I'm actually talking to somebody else. Complete with phrases that often come after the attempted execution like "Oh wait, that looks like shit. Hold on", ".. Am I stupid?", and "Ehh, good enough."

my husband is very used to me doing this when i'm working on my site. and my evil cackling when i manage to figure out a difficult coding problem :evil: me and that CSS are having whole entire arguments lol

brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023 @54.61 »

Not just coding, but I get obsessive and absolutely single-minded about almost everything I do and get "in the zone." That sometimes leads to not sleeping properly and forgetting to eat. Not so much now, but it still happens now and then.

It drives my wife nuts. She doesn't understand it, but mostly tolerates it.

"You haven't listened to a word I've said"
"What?"
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023 @131.11 »

I usually have a stream open on my 2nd monitor, usually a speedrunner, and I pop in a mixtape (or a CD rip from my computer) to listen to while coding.

How much I code seems to always either be in small increments. Usually I achieved one milestone with my game, and call it a day, or code for a tomato’s worth of work (Wonder how many is going to get that reference?), or I am up until 2 in the morning trying to get some things working!

Literally there is no inbetween, I either only spend a few minutes a day, or spend like 12 hours straight coding.

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
LittleGr33nIMP
Casual Poster ⚓︎

"Yay for me, Luigi!" -Luigi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023 @173.13 »

Some of my coding habits:
  • opening obsidian since i write a lot of my site related notes in there
  • either using spotify or aimp to listen to music
  • googling stuff i forgot about 😭
  • i have 500 windows open for some reason girl help

Oh look it's some turtles with my butto-HEY WAIT GET BACK HERE!

🐢🐢 🐢🐢

debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023 @407.72 »

this is more typing in general but whenever i need a capital letter i can’t just hit the shift button, i have to speed toggle the caps lock button instead. i’m actually really quick at it, i think at this point if i did it “properly” it’d just slow me down  :ok:

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023 @584.00 »

Currently I have over 890 tabs open so... yeah. I think it's because I'm just. Well. I think I'm literally stupid? Because I forget stuff IMMEDIATELY if I don't see them. The tabs are like my notes, to help me remember I needed to do this and that. Because if I don't see it, I will forget very quickly. It's like I have a baby brain on object permanence but it's about thoughts and ideas.

If I get an idea I want to make happen on the site but don't know how, I will research it and work on it as long as it takes until I get it done. It doesn't matter how many hours it's gonna take. Sometimes I guess I just wanna see if I can. But I will work on it, forgetting about eating or sleeping, until I get it. And the most annoying thing ever is if I have to stop in the middle (say, I need to go somewhere on time).

One thing which I hate actually is that need to push push push the buttons on the keyboard. Space, backspace, space, backspace, space, backspace, space, backspace, space, backspace... For a moment. Or click around with the mouse. My coworker says I "beat up" my keyboard when writing, but I need to feel that feeling when my nail hits the key... It makes me feel tight in my head and makes all writing slower. But I think this happens because I have OCD.

I am also very hesitant to fill my bio/profile with info about myself on websites. I just feel super uncomfy to share too many things, even if I wanted to, I fear someone will use that info to do something evil towards me :drat:
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023 @658.73 »

Whenever I remove a little bit of code from a page on my site, I have a bad habit of just commenting it instead of removing it properly, so if you look at the source code for my homepage, it'll probably be a quarter comments at least or something IDK lolzor.

Again, keeping things open and swearing that I'll get to them someday. I very seldom do, but do just often enough to justify it to myself.

"As she realized what might have been, she grew to be thankful for what was."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

Skykristal
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2023 @689.42 »

Whenever I remove a little bit of code from a page on my site, I have a bad habit of just commenting it instead of removing it properly

Ohh god I myself do that occasionally.. until I finally remove the code a few months later. Idk I just feel like it could come in handy later or is something I could want to switch back to, which is why I don't remove it instantly. But it often gets too much and need to remove at least some of it, especially if it was unused for a very long time. Same with CSS

brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2023 @733.98 »

Oh yes, LISTS. Whenever I think of something I'd like to write about or amend on the site, I put in a document. My "Web Pages to Amend / Write" docx is now 137 pages long!

Whenever I finally manage to delete something out of it, I think of another 3 or 4 things I'd like to do.
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023 @445.21 »

Mine is probably considered a bad habit, but.. never splitting my CSS off into a separate file. It's all in <style> or inline, in my HTML doc. I did that for a while on my other older page and I just stopped, because it doesn't suit me. I know it is technically considered the standard and it makes sense for most. I researched the pros and cons, and if you want to build a cohesive website that has the same few design elements on each page, that's definitely the way to go and I would do that then as well. But I really enjoy exploring different designs and concepts with subpages and build it from the ground up, and I feel limited if I would always attach the same file already, and I would also have trouble with deciding what it is that I wanna keep for a "main css". And then a separate file for the CSS I want on this page specifically.
I really don't wanna jump between 2-3 files (even though Brackets has a nice feature for this).
And my HTML is never that long, so scrolling up isn't a hassle.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023 @448.99 by shevek » Logged

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023 @625.44 »

Mine is probably considered a bad habit, but.. never splitting my CSS off into a separate file.

I do this too! I find it so much easier to have it all in one place in the .html, and every page for my site uses a variation or completely different .css anyway, so the thought of having customised separate stylesheets for each page honestly gives me a bit of an OCD headache LOL. Having it all self contained works best for me!  :dive:
Skykristal
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023 @711.93 »

Mine is probably considered a bad habit, but.. never splitting my CSS off into a separate file.
Dw you aren't alone haha. I do have what you would call a "main CSS" but I don't always apply it, or use a lot of inline CSS and include <style> within my code. I actually only started to feel kinda bad about this after I discovered that this is not recommended for a few reasons. But honestly I just do it in a way which is most comfortable. This isn't a competition about being perfect. As long as it works.

devils
Full Member ⚓︎

Oh? What's that?

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2023 @144.11 »

• Unlike a lot of other people, I hate having lots of tabs open- at most I keep 6 around, usually 3-4.
  • Similarly, I can't have a lot of emails in my inbox... I'll go crazy if I do! Gotta delete/archive 'em.
  • ... That being said, I bookmark a lot of pages. I used to have over 500, but I did a bit of spring cleaning recently and now I «only» have around 450. They're all tagged and well-organized though!
  • I rarely shut down my laptop, usually I just suspend it when I'm going outside or to sleep.
  • When coding, I usually use a main CSS file for the universal styling and put all the styling within the HTML file.

Mmh... Now that I think about it, I might overcompensate for my lack of organization skills IRL when using my computer (or tech in general, I'm pretty obsessive about organizing my inventory in video games).

Remember to eat dessert <3
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 58
Views: 5159
Last post February 18, 2024 @998.30
by mittens
Collecting Webgardens - Post your webgarden & greenhouse!

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ Share your Resources

Replies: 33
Views: 12863
Last post December 31, 2023 @87.73
by corvidaegalaxy
Website example page

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 1797
Last post December 16, 2021 @285.10
by cinni

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi