Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @91.97 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 20/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 909.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Let's talk about online arguments

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Let's talk about online arguments  (Read 1382 times)
prismatic
Casual Poster

mist ball⭐

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2024 @23.26 »

a very good friend of mine told me to always pick and choose my battles. such a thing is so obvious, right? you'd think so, but it helps a world of a lot when it comes to online arguments/debate/conflicts/whatever. sometimes some of them aren't worth the time and effort to get into and it'd be headache to engage otherwise. i really only "argue" if there's a bigger point or benefit to me behind it, otherwise why expend the energy?
Junebug
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Vanitas Vanitatum Omnia Vanitas

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Vanitas no Carte fanJoined 2024!
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2024 @856.59 »

The summary version: the absence of in-person interaction lowers the stakes of hostility and strips away the ability to pick up on non-verbal communication, any discussion of import requires a minimum matching of premises about reality, without which any fruitful discussion is impossible, frequently people believe that those with wrong beliefs are also evil, and people typically want to hurt those they hate, consequently the people who hate each other have an opportunity to fight verbally very easily on the web.

I don't believe people are worse on the internet, I believe the internet removes inhibitions toward this behavior, and makes visible the real feelings people have had all along, but are not shown to our faces in our day to day lives.

Unsurprisingly omni-blocking has arisen as the solution to all of this. You read something you don't like? Just remove it! This has had some pretty bad consequences in the long run though, where people get into a habit of not actually thinking about counterarguments or actively ignore truths that threaten their beliefs, without making any plans to think it through later even if they decide they can't do it then. This is why critical thinking is something trained; it's not the default way people exist in the world.

My preferred programming language is AutoHotKey.

"What you thought was a given was in reality a product of miracles."

Semper
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Lurking and learning

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: semper

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2024 @60.05 »

I definitely get into more arguments one on one in meatspace than I do online, pretty big ones too. The thing about being online for me is that the more anonymous I can be, the more placid I feel. I use anonymity to lurk, and if no-one knows who I am or if I am even there I choose not to engage. since the stakes are next to non-existent. But yeah, I have gotten in way more arguments and debates one on one with family and friends and even strangers I meet at parties or events than I have online. Not to say that I haven't gotten into arguments online, because I had. I used twitter from 2013-2022, and it's nigh impossible to avoid discourse if you're non-white/queer/neurodivergent etc. And if this counts as online, I have gotten in arguments with irl friends through text/voice call.

I now use my website to share my opinions, and though I embrace discussions and differing opinions through the comment section of my blog/garden posts, I have moderation turned on, and I refuse to publish comments that include any insults directed towards me or any other commenter, no matter how mild.

:dog:

Feel free to climb the tree
cami02

daydreaming

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2024 @512.88 »

I used to argue A LOT online as a teen on tumblr and facebook. A lot was going on in my life at the time, and arguing with strangers online was one of the many ways I released stress. It wasn't healthy for me or the people I argued with.

Now as an adult I never argue on the internet because it's a waste of time. Instead I simply block them, ignore them or if it's a comment on one of my posts I delete the comments (or turn them off entirely). Now, I don't post much at all anywhere and don't have a following - mostly strangers have just happened to stumble over my few posts.

One of the cons of social media is definitely how anonymous people can be - they hide behind a screen and aren't afraid of harassing complete strangers.
If you have good intentions, being anonymous online isn't bad in itself, but if you're using it only to harass other people for no reason then it's bad.

:skull:
Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2024 @613.61 »

I've not had proper flame war type arguments since the late '90s early '00s back when I frequented EZboards and other forums. I had much more free time back then - nowadays I have too much going on to care and as I got older, I realised that most people are toxic, horrible and bigoted so nothing I say will make a difference - so if anyone offends me now I just block/report.

The most toxicity I experience these days is when playing Valorant or CSGO - but even then you can just mute/report people. There's very rarely a reason to argue with anyone online... pointless and a waste of time.

Life is already challenging enough, with most of it being barely tolerable, that I don't want to add to the stress with online keyboard fights haha.

Paprika
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Go to the tanterwomps for they are lost in time

⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!the one and only paprika!Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2024!
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2024 @872.40 »

My online life revolved around one concept since the very beginning at it helped me a lot of time with a simple sentence.

"DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS"

Some people are malicious, there's bait, flaming, rageposting, etc. You shouldn't feel like you "owe" those people something. Click the cross on top right of the creen, shut off ypur computer, walk outside, do something you like, breath, do something calm or relaxing. You're better than this. Don't give them what they want. Starved trolls will do weird shit for attention, but don't give it to them. They'll move somewhere else quickly. Don't feed trolls.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Web design is fashion design ?? Your thoughts on self expression online?

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 2685
Last post August 31, 2023 @620.49
by technomage
Let's talk about FORUMS!

Started by wrinkledlionBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 34
Views: 3961
Last post November 11, 2023 @821.39
by creaturefeature
Do you "go online" any more?

Started by wrisBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 23
Views: 3704
Last post October 19, 2022 @248.06
by Janus

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi