Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @338.69 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Does anyone have personal website pet peeves?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Does anyone have personal website pet peeves?  (Read 6659 times)
Karius
Casual Poster

He/they

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: March 16, 2022 @514.81 »

Lately I've noticed that I actually hold a lot of strong opinions about personal websites, and I was wondering if anyone else has common trends on Neocities (for example) as pet peeves. I'm interested because coding is a passion and I like hearing people's opinions... that being said, don't see my own as things that are inherently bad, your website should be coded however you feel most comfortable!

Anyways, mine are:

• All caps/all lowercase: Terrible for screen readers, especially the former. I would suggest doing something with the "text-transform" property on your CSS instead of actually typing like that.
  • Seizure-inducing graphics: I have epilepsy, and although I'm medicated I still have some issues with flashing graphics. Lots of blinkies, flashing buttons, etc. should be avoided, or at least have a warning.
  • Non-semantic HTML: Ever since I learned that you don't need div tags for everything in your website layout, coding felt a lot easier to manage. Non-semantic HTML still has some use, but it seems silly to me to have "<div class="header">" instead of "<header>".

Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox now. I tried to add solutions to my pet peeves, hopefully you can gather some use out of my tips!

- Alastor

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022 @595.10 »

Oh no, I have lots, possibly more than I should admit :ziped:

A big one is sites that depend 100% on Javascript to load content (unless they are actually a JavaScript game or world). Also inline styling <body background="red"> etc unless there is a veryyyy good reason for it!

Iv also been on Neocities for a long while, so there are some things Iv seen too many times. For example joke 90s sites kinda annoy me now, even though my site started like that too. People are at different stages in their web dev journey so I try to give people a lot of leeway in my mind for a lot of things.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Karius
Casual Poster

He/they

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022 @752.70 »

Oh no, I have lots, possibly more than I should admit :ziped:

A big one is sites that depend 100% on Javascript to load content (unless they are actually a JavaScript game or world). Also inline styling <body background="red"> etc unless there is a veryyyy good reason for it!

Iv also been on Neocities for a long while, so there are some things Iv seen too many times. For example joke 90s sites kinda annoy me now, even though my site started like that too. People are at different stages in their web dev journey so I try to give people a lot of leeway in my mind for a lot of things.

I gotta agree with you with the overdone joke websites... still better than using Neocities as an alternative to Carrd IMO, but both of those kinds of websites annoy me. They kinda defeat the whole "personal web" aspect of maintaining a website, y'know? Especially the Carrd ones... at least joke websites can be done well.

- Alastor
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022 @759.99 by Karius » Logged

fLaMEd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022 @316.09 »

I definitely agree with the overuse of graphics and non semantic HTML.
Trying to do something in the most complicated way possible.
Crazy backgrounds with crazy text so that you can't read it.
Pages with no content. The same content.

I whole heatedly believe that it's possible to create a personal space on the web without making it an un-accessible nightmare.

HTML/CSS has come a long way over the 30 years or so that it's been in use.
easy_breezy

PonPon

iMood: hax_man

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022 @26.00 »

Oh boy, here we go:

• Websites that almost exclusively bright graphics for everything is bad for when I'm viewing it at night
  • Bad contrast between the text and the background (another issue that the first type of sites tends to have) It's mostly a comfort thing to me since I hate squinting
  • Flash sites are only good for game worlds or if it's emulated. Or at least let me access an HTML version
  • Sites intentionally being slow to load to "emulate the old web's slowness". My PC is mid tier however my internet is shit

So I was at the cash register when I realized, I GOT NO MONEY. I was seriously broke.
lulu
Casual Poster ⚓︎

if it stops i'm havin' a bad dream

StatusCafe: lulu
iMood: WILDLIFE

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022 @962.16 »

All caps/all lowercase: Terrible for screen readers, especially the former. I would suggest doing something with the "text-transform" property on your CSS instead of actually typing like that.

oops, i do this. Oops, I do this :eyes: I'm a weirdo who likes the symmetry of lowercase letters, which is probably a Wrong Opinion, and a dumb excuse to break rules. I'm working on sucking it up, and text-transform is a happy medium that somehow never crossed my mind. I hate to admit that I didn't think about screen readers for a long time, since I've never had to experience the web with one. It's something I think about now, but I guess I have a lot to learn.

I don't have too many pet peeves, but some sites do kinda feel more like 1990s roleplay. I'm not very interested in those, but I still support people having fun being webmasters. Whatever gets the kids off TikTok.
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022 @65.91 »

All caps/all lowercase: Terrible for screen readers, especially the former. I would suggest doing something with the "text-transform" property on your CSS instead of actually typing like that.

oops, i do this. Oops, I do this :eyes: I'm a weirdo who likes the symmetry of lowercase letters, which is probably a Wrong Opinion, and a dumb excuse to break rules. I'm working on sucking it up, and text-transform is a happy medium that somehow never crossed my mind. I hate to admit that I didn't think about screen readers for a long time, since I've never had to experience the web with one. It's something I think about now, but I guess I have a lot to learn.

I don't have too many pet peeves, but some sites do kinda feel more like 1990s roleplay. I'm not very interested in those, but I still support people having fun being webmasters. Whatever gets the kids off TikTok.

oy same!! i never thought of using text-transform for all lower case (i use it for things like titles/headers i want to be in all caps haha). i normally type in all lowercase by default but there are times i would want to Emphasize certain words so i apologize to everyone with screen readers in advance. ;-; i will certainly keep this in mind tho for my more professional/community orientated sites!

Karius
Casual Poster

He/they

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022 @478.73 »

@lulu @cinni

Well, I'm glad I could offer some insight! We actually really like the look of all-caps/all-lowercase in some areas myself, but we avoid typing like that now. I highly recommend trying out a screen reader for yourself just to test out the way it works with your site. We've been meaning to do that, especially now that I'm using Iframes again (they're not inherently bad, we just need to make sure they make sense when being read).

- Alastor

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022 @834.87 »

Having low-colour images without optimising the file size.
To be honest, most pages on Neocities fall short on this. Call themselves "retro", "old style", from the "yesterday's web", but completly forget about optimising file sizes for the machine's of yesterday! The actual HTML code is irrelevant in this case, it's about the images, that take a lot of space and can take time to load.
Without much/any quality loss, you could transform a low-colour 180 KB PNG to 60 KB. Just convert the image to 256 colours. Or even 128, or even 64... (with GraphicsGale for example).
And that's the difference between loading immediately or loading scrappy on a bad mobile connection or on an old computer.
Karius
Casual Poster

He/they

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022 @745.68 »

Having low-colour images without optimising the file size.
To be honest, most pages on Neocities fall short on this. Call themselves "retro", "old style", from the "yesterday's web", but completly forget about optimising file sizes for the machine's of yesterday! The actual HTML code is irrelevant in this case, it's about the images, that take a lot of space and can take time to load.
Without much/any quality loss, you could transform a low-colour 180 KB PNG to 60 KB. Just convert the image to 256 colours. Or even 128, or even 64... (with GraphicsGale for example).
And that's the difference between loading immediately or loading scrappy on a bad mobile connection or on an old computer.

I should probably start doing this, ahah... Thanks for bringing this up!

Obspogon
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Hi

StatusCafe: obspogon
iMood: Obspogon
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022 @59.54 »

when the font size is too small

----------------------
https://obspogon.neocities.org/
----------------------

fLaMEd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022 @421.76 »

when the font size is too small

yeah this kills me ><
xX_irkeneonz_Xx
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022 @590.67 »

I don't care about design half the time but what does peeve me off are people who try to bring social media drama onto their personal sites

Neonriser
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Creator of Nett

StatusCafe: neonriser
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2022 @139.39 »

It really grinds my gears when the text blends in too well with the background, making it hard for me to read.

Web design is my passion!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022 @501.86 »

Oh a big one I thought though of; scrolling badge sections! Where people have their site badges in a marquee, so you have to sit there and wait in order to see all the sites badges they have. I think that's really disrespectful because it makes it so much harder for people to see the badges; its a bit like saying "I don't really care about these badges I just have them as decoration"

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 58
Views: 5166
Last post February 18, 2024 @998.30
by mittens
POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 4283
Last post January 11, 2024 @150.49
by xXWebMasterXx_Gina
Website example page

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 1800
Last post December 16, 2021 @285.10
by cinni

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi