Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 27, 2024 - @429.70 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 81/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Does anyone have personal website pet peeves?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Does anyone have personal website pet peeves?  (Read 6775 times)
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2023 @383.54 »

To play devil's advocate, HTTPS protects users from MITM attacks by bad actors looking to inject anything from obtrusive advertisements to literal malware into victims' web pages when they are served over plain HTTP. This has already happened on several different occasions, and it's not unreasonable to assume that, given the opportunity, bad actors will use code injection attacks as a means of extracting as much revenue as possible from their victims.
You're right with these things, but I think it would be more important to secure the browser itself. The root problem is the browser executing code (JavaScript, Flash, ActiveX for example). If code execution would be restricted or even prohibited completly in the first place, lots of those problems of unencrypted traffic become irrelevant. Intrusive ads should be destroyed on other fronts, if you ask me (filter lists and script blocking for example). Though I remember a man-in-the-middle attack, where website text was altered to give things a different meaning. That's evil indeed and hard to discover. However if the encryption certificate is compromised or decrypted (beware of superfast computers out there), it's rather a false sense of security that comes with the "S" of HTTPS. So no guarantees unfortuneatly.
TheNothingMonster
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey psst! Wanna see something spooky?

StatusCafe: thenothingmonster

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2023 @442.00 »

Oh man, my site falls under some of the categories mentioned here. :drat: I agree with a lot of points and I will consider everyone's opinions while working!

My sins: :evil:

1) JavaScript as Foundation: My site requires a browser with JavaScript enabled or otherwise it will not work at all. That is due to some "shortcuts" I have taken while coding. I would have used PHP instead if Neocities supported it.
2) Not Sharing Buttons: I am one of those who showcase their 88x31 buttons but have not linked anyone else back in return. That is because I have yet to make an "external links" page! I have gathered a lot of buttons from others and I really want to add them some time. ^^
3) Screen Adaptability: Thanks to my wonky CSS skill set, my site sometimes works on smaller screens and mobiles... and sometimes it doesn't.

My pet-peeves: :ha:

1) Autoplay: I also have an issue with autoplay, especially if there have not been any warnings prior and the sound is very loud and sudden. I get spooked!
2) Text Size: I refuse to read tiny text for my eyes' sake. :P
3) Pop-ups: While browser pop-ups might be informative, I find them quite annoying. I have come across instances where pop-ups were used as warnings on index/home pages, which were useful at first, but became a bit frustrating to deal with once you have to load/visit the page over and over again.
4) Dead Ends: Unfinished pages or links that get you into 404 pages, especially without an indicator. I do not have a problem in most scenarios, unless the entire site consists of non-existent, "Under Construction" or "Work In Progress" pages.

Stuff I do not mind that much: :dive:

1) Carrd-like Sites: It's their site. I cannot tell them what to do. Though, I have got to admit that it takes the fun out of web creation if the code is copy+pasted. If they made it themselves, sure! I don't care!
2) No Meat, Just Decoration: I do not mind seeing sites that are just aesthetic without much context to rely on. I think they are really beautiful in some cases. It is a different approach to most common personal sites. Again, they can do whatever they want with their site.

These are some subjects I could think about for now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 59
Views: 5439
Last post March 30, 2024 @910.61
by Semper
POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 4360
Last post January 11, 2024 @150.49
by xXWebMasterXx_Gina
Website example page

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 1857
Last post December 16, 2021 @285.10
by cinni

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi