Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 27, 2024 - @317.97 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 79/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Does anyone have personal website pet peeves?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Does anyone have personal website pet peeves?  (Read 6774 times)
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2023 @478.45 »

I agree with all the points about immediately jumping into DNI and discourse and pride flag opinions etc etc. Neocities and the personal web is a unique space that's removed from the greater "outrage culture" of social media, so why bring that "outrage culture" into that space? I don't get it.

plantovision
Jr. Member ⚓︎

born to ":3" forced to ":)"

StatusCafe: plantovision
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2023 @905.84 »

Also inline styling <body background="red"> etc unless there is a veryyyy good reason for it!
Uh oh.

On the topic of mobile compatibility, my site is (for the most part) mobile friendly. Even then, I think that it may be a bit much to ask a beginner, hobbyist web-designer to create an adaptive layout (for those not using a layout builder). Most people get into web-design because they enjoy doing it, but if they're just a hobbyist, technical problems such as those could easily discourage them.

born to be silly, forced to be stupid
debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2023 @525.71 »

sites without any warnings for stuff like autoplay, flashing gifs, no mobile support or just generally anything else someone might need to know before visiting you site. it’s one thing to have that kind of stuff, people can do whatever they want on their site and some people are insistent on autoplay and flashing colours, or don’t want to make a mobile site for whatever reason, but you should really add like a splash page warning or something! autoplay sounds when you weren’t expecting them can be really jarring, and nobody wants to be the person who accidentally plays some loud bgm song in public. plus flashing colours are so bad to have unwarned for a lot of reasons- even if there wasn’t a genuine risk to peoples health i don’t think as many people want to see ten billion flashing blinkies on the index page as some computer spiders think!

other than that, sites with very little actual content and just like, links to social medias and a kin list or something. you can do whatever the hell you want on your site again but.. i feel like it’s just sort of pointless to make a whole site that’s basically just a glorified twitter profile. makes it seem like you only have a site because it’s the latest trendy retro thing to do. i mean at least chuck in a blog or a shrine or something to give any point at all to visiting your site.

and finally (and sort of relatedly) sites with a ton of empty links. it’s okay if your site is still under construction but imo it’s better to only add your links in once the page is done or at least in a state where you can see what’s going to be there. and if you want your links to already be there for layout reasons or something, make it clear what links work and what ones don’t either with styling or by just leaving it as text without a link.

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

Azure
Casual Poster ⚓︎

XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2023 @179.00 »

too many flashing graphics and text that isn't easily readable (too small, bad color contrast with the background, etc) are the two things that get to me the most. i honestly think i can forgive anything else someone does with their site but the flashing graphics and unreadable text have me clicking off the site pretty much the instant i set my eyes on it. :ohdear:
nenrikido
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2023 @259.44 »

I have a lot, but I think the one I run into the most is non-responsive websites. A lot of people seem to think responsiveness is only relevant in the context of mobile displays, but it's also irritating to have to alter the zoom on websites to make it render the way the webmaster intended. Especially because it's not very difficult to resolve; just use flex or grid, stop positioning everything with absolute, and try using rem/em instead of px.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023 @261.89 by nenrikido » Logged

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2023 @689.33 »

⚑ Moderators Note ⚑
A number of posts have been held back from this thread for moderation! If yours is missing and you have questions about why feel free to contact me!

I'd like to remind people that this forum (and particularly this board) is for discussion of web crafting as a technical and artistic activity - its not for debates about neocities culture.

Also please remember that use of acronyms or other terms that are not universally known without a clear explanation is not allowed on this forum! Please keep your posts accessible to all members of the web who might be reading from diffrent backgrounds or age groups!

Feel free to continue posting pet peeves after this message, but remember to keep them on topic!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2023 @922.99 »

I'm a little peeved at the moment by the continued existence of Open Graph Protocol and Twitter Cards. I get it: parasocial media platforms want to provide pretty previews when people share links. But instead of using standard elements already in <head> like <title> or <meta name="description"> they come up with these proprietary tags that webkeepers are expected to deal with.

I actually got an email from somebody who tried to share a link to my site on Facebook but "couldn't" because "it didn't look good." I'm going to give them something to cry about; any link to my site that gets shared on Facebook will go to this page: https://starbreaker.org/about/parasocial/

All links on Twitter, LinkedIn, Discord, etc should end up there, too. Mastodon, too. :)

rock operatic science fantasy and more...
(...all opinions mine unless attributed, and free to a good home...)
Yukari
Casual Poster ⚓︎

RISK IT for the BISCUIT

View Profile WWW

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2023 @937.45 »

This is a super non-issue, but sometimes I see people upload the 88x31s buttons of specific websites w/o linking back, because (I think) they think it's a generic decoration. Again, I know this isn't really worth complaining about, because the whole point of making these tiny graphics is to have them shared around. Plus, people on the indie web are savvy about things like reverse-image search, so visitors can always do that to find the source... but then, that made me realize, the site owner also could have done that lol

kiki & ayano
Casual Poster ⚓︎

devour the past

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2023!
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2023 @13.61 »

reading about the pet peeves in regards to accessibility on this thread have been enlightening, thank you everyone! despite working on sites for a while, i still feel like a newbie in some ways, and accessibility is one of those. i'm still updating my sites to be more accessible over time. it's a learning process but a worthwhile one! i'm disabled myself and don't want to leave my fellow disabled people out if i can help it.

as for my own personal pet peeves, it's mainly what some other folks on this thread have mentioned... websites that only serve as pretty much an alternative to a twitter bio/carrd, or popular sites on neocities that don't actually have any content. my favorite sites are ones where i can learn something new or interact with something interesting... the novelty of returning to the aesthetics present in the internet of my youth has long worn off, and i can't imagine being satisfied just looking at a bunch of nostalgic imagery for the sake of nostalgia imagery. if i can't stick around on a website long enough than it takes to scroll past a tweet because there's no "meat" to be engaged with, what's the point? (this doesn't include websites that are still being built and have content in the works, of course)

that being said, while i list this as something that irritates me, i do have empathy for young people especially who have carrd-like sites - i think kids now are so used to the confines of social media, it's a process to actually branch out and exercise those self-expression muscles. plus, most kids now don't have the sort of casual introduction to HTML/CSS that i and many others did as kids, such as BBcode which is essentially simplified CSS, or decking out the likes of classic MySpace profiles, so they're really coming in from scratch and it may feel overwhelming to do anything more than what they're used to. starting anywhere, even if it's just a biography with a lot of pretty images, is better than nothing and a potentially exciting start to putting more! every "bad" site with no content could be someone's gateway into making more interesting and passionate websites.

a few other smaller things i can't stand include placeholder links that don't actually go anywhere yet (even worse if they're actual clickable links, and even worse yet if they redirect to a "page not found" URL, or a page that simply says "under construction", forcing me to navigate backwards) - i feel like it would just be better to keep a WIP list somewhere else if displaying what you'll have in the future is important to you. it always makes me feel a bit disappointed. oh, and javascript games, tools, and whatnot that don't properly sit on the page! i know that people usually just copy/paste their javascript stuff from elsewhere, but at the very least, i feel it's worth putting in the effort to have it not jut out strangely or sit out of place in the flow of the page. it's just super distracting.

- ayano

過去喰らい尽くした
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2023 @70.31 »

I agree with all the points above about "Carrd-likes"... It's disappointing when I click on a site only to find there's no real content on it beyond links to socials, but I won't let it ruin my day  :ok:

Yukari
Casual Poster ⚓︎

RISK IT for the BISCUIT

View Profile WWW

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2023 @341.39 »

Okay this is another inconsequential problem but when links are too short and hard to click I don’t like that. I didn’t realize how inconvenient it was until I did it on my own website.

i.e., a link name like EP1 versus Episode 1.

brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2023 @990.39 »

I agree with everyone has said so far about their pet peeves. I had to smile though, especially as they appear on a site commited to the "web revival". Nearly every site in the original personal web space from the 1990s/2000s, mine included, had multiple issues. Some people had almost every item brought up in these posts on a single page.

To give some context:

Take my 20-year old page at https://brisray.com/misc/misc1.htm. It was made full width because anything over a 860 X 640 (vga) monitor was almost professional grade. Who could afford anything more than that?

The background image was one I found, a good job I lightened it a bit from the original but who really cared if the text was readable? We were happy to get anyone visiting the sites at all.

These old "top down" pages still work well on mobile screens because phones automaticaly change the pixel width of the pages and their contents to whatever their screens use and don't have to worry about moving content around too much.

My own pet peeve is broken links (link rot). If you have any sort of list to external sites, you'll lose more and more of them every year. I use an ancient program called Xenu's Link Sleuth to try and find the ones on my sites. With thousands of links it's hard to keep up with them all, but I try. For sites that have gone AWOL, if I can, I'll change the link to whatever the Internet Archive has saved.

Just to be certain, I love that personal sites still exist and haven't yet been drowned out. If you like pink text in some unreadable font on a white background well, at least it's yours.

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2023 @791.54 »

Thank you, brisray. That Xenu Link Sleuth is a very helpful program indeed, it just seems to miss some new HTTPS ciphers.

Speaking of which, I think it should be well weighted if HTTPS is necessary for a personal web page. HTTPS ciphers are a blown-up artifical market, which only makes sense for maybe 1% of all sites, where serious traffic happens. But everything without a login screen doesn't really need it. This topic is fired up by all big browsers, which call standard HTTP sites "insecure" by default.
Necrosia
Full Member ⚓︎

Lord of the Labyrinth

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Welcome Soup!Joined 2023!
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2023 @950.58 »

Speaking of which, I think it should be well weighted if HTTPS is necessary for a personal web page. HTTPS ciphers are a blown-up artifical market, which only makes sense for maybe 1% of all sites, where serious traffic happens. But everything without a login screen doesn't really need it. This topic is fired up by all big browsers, which call standard HTTP sites "insecure" by default.

Y E S, thank you for bringing it up.
A lot of people don't realize this since neocities does that out of the box but oh boy, the ordeal is real. We don't need the blessing of https to traffic gifs and silly texts.

aoeu
Casual Poster

StatusCafe: aoeu
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2023 @26.03 »

Thank you, brisray. That Xenu Link Sleuth is a very helpful program indeed, it just seems to miss some new HTTPS ciphers.

To play devil's advocate, HTTPS protects users from MITM attacks by bad actors looking to inject anything from obtrusive advertisements to literal malware into victims' web pages when they are served over plain HTTP. This has already happened on several different occasions, and it's not unreasonable to assume that, given the opportunity, bad actors will use code injection attacks as a means of extracting as much revenue as possible from their victims.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023 @291.62 by aoeu » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 59
Views: 5438
Last post March 30, 2024 @910.61
by Semper
POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 4359
Last post January 11, 2024 @150.49
by xXWebMasterXx_Gina
Website example page

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 1857
Last post December 16, 2021 @285.10
by cinni

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi