Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @198.11 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Customizable startpages

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Customizable startpages  (Read 930 times)
Sofly
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Oh hey hi

XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: March 27, 2024 @791.98 »

Oh hey hi

I was always a sucker for customization, i will always love games that let you decorate a personal space or wear cool clothes, and i yearn for the days where every phone, radio, or whatever had a space to put a little charm; i guess that's why i took such a liking to the personal web

But i digress, i'm here to talk about something i found very recently and that i fount pretty interesting, i want to talk about custom startpages

As i was browsing a certain directory, i found a section dedicated to startpages, which were essentially customizable new tabs which host bookmarks and other cool stuff, like custom animations or just some good looks

The one i ended up using was Aesthetic Startpage, a simple customizable startpage with really neat pixel art gifs, and a dark and simplistic interface, but there are more to be found out there, you can use this Awesome List to look for the one for you, hell you can maybe even make your own from scratch!

I do warn that getting this startpage running in firefox was quite a pain, the only way to override the new tab page is through an add-on, and since addons can't read local files i had to open a web server and host it there, but (and let's be honest) if you're in this forum there's like a 72% chance you know how it's done, so i don't think it's that big of an issue

If you already customized your new tab page, feel free to share it! :4u:

Profile pic is from Secret Little Haven
bingus_baby
Full Member ⚓︎

Baby of the bingus...

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024 @191.61 »

the only way to override the new tab page is through an add-on

If you don't mind me asking, what did you mean by this? I checked the settings in Firefox and it seems pretty easy. And it supports local files, I checked!

Unless maybe you're in a different version? But regardless it's still hella cool you set up a web server, I'd love to give it a shot one day when I have my own internet provider that supports servers.

(Firefox tab/window custom homepage settings below)

Sofly
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Oh hey hi

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024 @570.03 »

That's for new windows and startpages (which i guess was its original purpose, lol), the options for changing the new tab are just the default firefox one and just a blank page

Profile pic is from Secret Little Haven
Yaya

StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024 @581.59 »

Wow I love this! Looks pretty straightforward and simple and love the aesthetic  :cool:

I'm wondering if there's a way to set it so that it opens in a new tab but in a different firefox window? Then I could keep it open full screen/f11 on my second monitor all the time and then click what I need and it will open in a new window (and then in new tabs) on my primary monitor.
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024 @645.42 »

I remember I used to use a site called Symbaloo ages ago, which offered a grid to add your favourite sites, etc. although I eventually stopped using it because it wasn't lightweight enough for my liking. I use Vivaldi as my secondary browser these days, and I use the FVD speed dial extension for Chromium browsers in its 3D view on Vivaldi, since it's a lightweight new tab page that I don't think is ugly, unlike many other extensions I tried. Although it did once randomly add a Turbotax icon to my new tab for some reason.

"...And we are not angels, to be comforted by seeing the means for which everything is sent."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters

Skykristal
Full Member ⚓︎

I may be dead but I am here

StatusCafe: skykristal
iMood: Skykristal

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024 @715.42 »

Oh that's awesome! I am always looking for this type of stuff and wasn't really thinking about going outside the add-on store. Great list. thanks for sharing. If I end up creating something, I'll attach it later  :happy:

Read My Blog ⋆。°✩ Punch my OCs  ⋆。°✩ View my Gallery
Yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024 @620.31 »

I'm wondering if there's a way to incorporate an RSS feed somehow... I really would love a start page where I can have everything in one place!
cybherspace
Casual Poster ⚓︎

cruisin' the webz

StatusCafe: cybherspace
iMood: cybherspace

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024 @747.07 »

I'm wondering if there's a way to incorporate an RSS feed somehow... I really would love a start page where I can have everything in one place!

yeah this is something I've thought about for a long time. there has to be an opensource RSS feed somewhere that you can put on a webpage... this is why I eventually want to make my own startpage.

Email me @ cybherspace@protonmail.com!

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024 @502.96 »

You may also like this thread, where people simply code theirs and host it on their site and set the homepage/new tab to that url :smile:

My current uneventful startpage.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2024 @539.28 »

You may also like this thread, where people simply code theirs and host it on their site and set the homepage/new tab to that url :smile:

Oooh that is so clever, I never thought of that!  :chef:  Oh my, now I've got some ideas and all, haha  :dive:

@shevek @cinni may I snoop and poke at some of the codes you've used? it's so perfect! I would of course not try to copy the style or anything, I just wouldn't be sure where to start.

Did anyone find out how to make it work with "new tab" and not just as a startpage?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024 @541.89 by grubbyfox » Logged

Yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2024 @600.86 »

Oh wow thank you! This is exactly what I'm looking for

I love this so much! OK if I snoop at the code? Thank You!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024 @93.83 by Yaya » Logged
lilac
Casual Poster

Just for Fun. No, Really.

View Profile

Story Builder!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2024 @946.18 »

Did anyone find out how to make it work with "new tab" and not just as a startpage?
I think you need to use an add-on for it to work with new tabs, as Sofly has mentioned:
I do warn that getting this startpage running in firefox was quite a pain, the only way to override the new tab page is through an add-on, and since addons can't read local files i had to open a web server and host it there, but (and let's be honest) if you're in this forum there's like a 72% chance you know how it's done, so i don't think it's that big of an issue

Something like New Tab Override should work well if you want to make your startpage a public website.

As mentioned above, there is a limitation with this add-on: If you try to use a local file, it can only read one html file (so no css, image or font files). You could host your website on localhost but there is also another, hacky way of setting the new page to a local file by creating your own add-on.

If anyone is interested I've put instructions in the spoiler below. (note: I'm using firefox 115.9.1esr)

Spoiler
Creating our own add-on will allow us to set the new tab to a local file with access to other local files. This site has the opposite problem though, it cannot include files from the internet (so no images hosted on other websites or javascript served by CDNs). It might be possible but I haven't figured out how to make it work and I haven't needed it yet anyways.

Step 1:
create a folder with any name. Put a file "manifest.json" into that folder.
The contents of the "manifest.json" file should be:

Code
{
    "manifest_version": 2,
    "name": "NewTab",
    "description": "set a url for new tabs",
    "version": "1.0",

"chrome_url_overrides" : {
        "newtab": "index.html"
    },

"browser_specific_settings" : {
        "gecko": {
            "id": "New@Tab"
        }
    }
}

Step 2:
add your website into the same folder as the "manifest.json" file. The main html file should be called "index.html"

That's it. We have created our own extension that sets new tabs to a local file! The problem is that we cannot add unsigned extensions to firefox permanently (they get removed after a restart).

Step 3:
To circumvent this, go to about:config and set xpinstall.signatures.required to "false". We can now add unsigned extentions.

Step 4:

Create a zip file that contains the "manifest.json" and your website.

Step 5:
Go to about:addons and drag the zip file from your file manager into the browser window.

A notification should appear saying:
Add NewTab? This extention is unverified. Malicious extensions can steal your private information or compromise your computer. Only add it if you trust the source.
Click Add. Now every new page should open your local html file.

:cheerR:  :cheerR:
[close]

DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2024 @967.77 »

I actually did figure out how to do this. If you want to edit the newtab page on Firefox, you need to create a CSS file in Firefox's chrome folder called "userContent.css". From there you can modify the fonts, edit the layout, and change the logo like I did. I changed the logo to the old Firefox logo  :grin:
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx?tab=readme-ov-file#unlock-custom-css-usage heres a nice link to help you get started!

grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2024 @396.76 »

I actually did figure out how to do this. If you want to edit the newtab page on Firefox, you need to create a CSS file in Firefox's chrome folder called "userContent.css". From there you can modify the fonts, edit the layout, and change the logo like I did. I changed the logo to the old Firefox logo  :grin:
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx?tab=readme-ov-file#unlock-custom-css-usage heres a nice link to help you get started!

I think you need to use an add-on for it to work with new tabs, as Sofly has mentioned:
Something like New Tab Override should work well if you want to make your startpage a public website.

As mentioned above, there is a limitation with this add-on: If you try to use a local file, it can only read one html file (so no css, image or font files). You could host your website on localhost but there is also another, hacky way of setting the new page to a local file by creating your own add-on.

If anyone is interested I've put instructions in the spoiler below. (note: I'm using firefox 115.9.1esr)

Spoiler
Creating our own add-on will allow us to set the new tab to a local file with access to other local files. This site has the opposite problem though, it cannot include files from the internet (so no images hosted on other websites or javascript served by CDNs). It might be possible but I haven't figured out how to make it work and I haven't needed it yet anyways.

Step 1:
create a folder with any name. Put a file "manifest.json" into that folder.
The contents of the "manifest.json" file should be:

Code
{
    "manifest_version": 2,
    "name": "NewTab",
    "description": "set a url for new tabs",
    "version": "1.0",

"chrome_url_overrides" : {
        "newtab": "index.html"
    },

"browser_specific_settings" : {
        "gecko": {
            "id": "New@Tab"
        }
    }
}

Step 2:
add your website into the same folder as the "manifest.json" file. The main html file should be called "index.html"

That's it. We have created our own extension that sets new tabs to a local file! The problem is that we cannot add unsigned extensions to firefox permanently (they get removed after a restart).

Step 3:
To circumvent this, go to about:config and set xpinstall.signatures.required to "false". We can now add unsigned extentions.

Step 4:

Create a zip file that contains the "manifest.json" and your website.

Step 5:
Go to about:addons and drag the zip file from your file manager into the browser window.

A notification should appear saying:
Add NewTab? This extention is unverified. Malicious extensions can steal your private information or compromise your computer. Only add it if you trust the source.
Click Add. Now every new page should open your local html file.

:cheerR:  :cheerR:
[close]

So, if I hosted my startpage on like neocities or something, it would work as preferred? (with codes and all)? :3

lilac
Casual Poster

Just for Fun. No, Really.

View Profile

Story Builder!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2024 @662.57 »

So, if I hosted my startpage on like neocities or something, it would work as preferred? (with codes and all)? :3

yep, I think that would be the easiest option

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi