Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @87.56 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 60/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Making a start page?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Making a start page?  (Read 2234 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: July 12, 2022 @953.41 »

Iv been thinking of making a start page for my browser for a while now. (Like the first page that loads when you open a browser)

I wanted to make something that was actually useful.. so it should have links to key sites that a person might wanna check.. maybe it could pull in info from status cafe, or spacehey or the neocities recent updates or something..

Then maybe even it could be customisable so some of this stuff could be modifiable and others could use it as their start page too..

So Im looking for ideas, what should a web revival start page look like, and what would it have on it? Whats your dream start page or have you already made one for yourself?

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022 @49.86 »

here's one i made a few months back! though it turns out i see it a lot less than i thought i would because it only displays when i start the browser & not when i make a new tab pffbbt (i have a browser with 6,666 tabs open at all times so) but alas!!! i have a weather widget, a duckduckgo widget, links to my more frequently used sites (i end up just typing it in the browser anywho..) and some rss widgets! i have been thinking about giving it a redesign tho..

Obspogon
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Hi

StatusCafe: obspogon
iMood: Obspogon
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022 @56.61 »

i've also been thinking of getting a startpage. How do you start?

----------------------
https://obspogon.neocities.org/
----------------------

cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022 @297.62 »

i've also been thinking of getting a startpage. How do you start?

depending on the browser you use, there should be a setting to set a custom start page url. then i would recommend hosting the page somewhere on your domain (not all browsers support local files). OR, you can use a service like protopage! https://www.protopage.com/

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022 @514.00 »

here's one i made a few months back!

This is majestic! It's exactly what I was thinking with the mix of news and buttons and a search. Its also making me wonder how I can mess with the concept though.. Id like to add a sense of depth, or movement to it.. like making all the icons monsters in a field or something.. I dunno :tongue: thanks for posting, this is a great reference!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022 @588.58 »

Oh my God cinni that's so beautiful. I think I am going to get inspired today :pc:
morrysillusion
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022 @843.15 »

oh this is such a nice idea! i dont know why i hadnt thought it of it. i had been trying to customize my start page before and had been using addons on firefox like speeddial in the past. but boy, yeah, i should get on making my own start page after seeing this!

Swiftpaw

it/its

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022 @744.62 »

I hope it's alright to give this thread a bump, but I've started working on my own start page. I was wondering if anyone knows how I might be able to embed a simple RSS feed reader?

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023 @763.55 »

I was inspired by this thread and the other HyperCard one that mentioned Decker.
So I thought making a start page for the browser would be a neat way to get into using it + learning Lil!

This is what it looks like (Gif; if it doesn't move, wait a little):

You can see it for yourself here. You can even play around with it a little and doodle on it if you select the pencil, however it won't change the website in general; just for you.

I am still working out on how to make it check the current date and adjusting the calendar; for now, it is stuck on whatever I selected before exporting the HTML.
I also have a version without the calendar.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023 @782.57 by shevek » Logged

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
tenkai_no_perusona
Casual Poster ⚓︎

あたしは暗い旅に出る

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023 @910.59 »

I've made one for myself. Very, very simple, but fits the overall retro look I've imparted to the rest of my OS, and has been useful so far:

I was inspired by this thread and the other HyperCard one that mentioned Decker.
So I thought making a start page for the browser would be a neat way to get into using it + learning Lil!

This is what it looks like (Gif; if it doesn't move, wait a little):

You can see it for yourself here. You can even play around with it a little and doodle on it if you select the pencil, however it won't change the website in general; just for you.

I am still working out on how to make it check the current date and adjusting the calendar; for now, it is stuck on whatever I selected before exporting the HTML.
I also have a version without the calendar.

This looks incredible!

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2023 @225.30 »

@tenkai_no_perusona thank you for the kind words :smile:

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2023 @600.63 »

@Shvek, I'm a big fan of Decker, so I LOVE the use of it to create a custom start page! You've done a great job here!

Also, I guess I should post mine. I've got everything almost how I want it, although I've been thinking about adding a theme switcher just for funsies:

qrunchy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

StatusCafe: qrunchy

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2023 @689.79 »

Oh I LOVE this idea!! I never thought about doing something like this... I once had a "start page" that was just scolding me for browsing and telling myself to go do something productive LOL but this seems way more fun.

Might have to work on making one now. The examples y'all have posted look so nice! Gonna bookmark this thread for future reference :eyes:
Lyonid
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Controlled Chaos ~ Please be kind.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2023 @963.74 »

Every single one of those LOOKS SO AMAZING!! We definitely need a Decker thread. I love this tool so much.

I tried making one myself as well! Here's the link! I really want to come up with something to fill the second row with. As much as I think about it, there's not much more I am doing on my Browser! Time to find more hobbies!  :tongue:

xx <3
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2023 @215.74 »

@Shvek, I'm a big fan of Decker, so I LOVE the use of it to create a custom start page! You've done a great job here!

Thank you :smile: I hope I will improve a little more, it's really such a versatile tool and the possibilities are endless if you know how to code the contraptions.
Your start page looks really cute!

Every single one of those LOOKS SO AMAZING!! We definitely need a Decker thread. I love this tool so much.

Agreed. I would love to see what everyone else comes up with. Especially because we can share our prototypes with each other!

I tried making one myself as well! Here's the link! I really want to come up with something to fill the second row with. As much as I think about it, there's not much more I am doing on my Browser! Time to find more hobbies!  :tongue:

Looks cool! This made me notice though that my Firefox seems to ignore your custom font. On your entire website, too. Only realized because of your screenshot.
Maybe you can fill the second row with important dates (just gotta edit that every now and then, I guess) or checkbox for ToDos, or maybe you got friends in different time zones and display their time zones there? :smile:

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I started a blog!

Started by MelooonBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 0
Views: 1019
Last post May 16, 2022 @437.16
by Melooon
Virtual worlds: where the heck do I start?

Started by GuestBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 5
Views: 2065
Last post June 08, 2023 @27.16
by Melooon
I am new to making sites and I want some tips to improve.

Started by Icey!Board ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 4
Views: 1746
Last post December 14, 2021 @853.48
by Icey!

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi