Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 30, 2024 - @858.24 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 87/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Homestuck

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Homestuck  (Read 297 times)
Misanthropic Monster™
Full Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

iMood: Misanthropic

View Profile WWW

bugpostingJoined 2024!
« on: April 10, 2024 @890.87 »

Has anyone here read Homestuck? What were your thoughts and feelings on it? Did you have any fave characters or arcs in the story?

I personally loved it and have fond memories of my friend linking the comic to me in 2011, and then us staying up ALL NIGHT and reading the entire thing in one sitting haha. I was enthralled the entire time...

Below is my fan-troll - I've not actually drawn her since 2012 so these are older doodles :ozwomp:  :4u:

wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024 @901.39 »

I was into it in middle school, not huge on it now. That kind of cynical ironic style of writing isn't really my thing anymore... Tastes just change over time I guess!

My favorite character was Vriska at the time.

Misanthropic Monster™
Full Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

View Profile WWW

bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024 @912.48 »

Vriska was super cool  :cheesy:

I get what you mean though, there are a lot of other things I was into in the past that I am not now, but Homestuck is still really cool to me... I suppose more for how surreal and trippy the entire lore was. I loved the

I also loved the trolls... my favorite was Gamzee Makara. I also loved Lord English!

starlitPrimrose
Casual Poster

StatusCafe: etherealprimrose
iMood: violetPrimrose

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024 @64.39 »

ayo! huge homestuck fan here lol :O) i read it in full sometime in late 2021 i think. i've been meaning to re-read it again for funsies but my current hyperfixations haven't let me yet LOL my cousin is the one who originally tried to get me into it, i think around 2017-ish? but due to some personal life circumstances around the time i wasn't able to get too far into it. i was watching a reading/comic dub of it back then lol so there are certain narrative voices that i think of whenever i read anything homestuck related.

given some of the very... era-typical language thats used in the comic (slurs and other such references) i tend to look at homestuck with a view of Enjoy It but Criticize it if that makes sense. I like to enjoy the story and characters, but i also like to acknowledge that some of the content and language used in it was Not Okay lol idk  :drat: idk how to really phrase this right so i hope that made sense

that aside, i have a few different favorite characters! Troll-wise, back then my favorite troll would've probably been Gamzee, these days i'm split between Kanaya and Terezi (mostly Kanaya tbh) as for the kids, Dave Strider is my absolute Favorite followed closely by John

funnily enough, you know how the trolls have lots of different blood colors? i came up with the idea of my non-human ocs having different blood colors before i read homestuck, and then i read homestuck and was like "yo hold up! :O" lmao

love or hate homestuck tho, the music from it are all bangers. i listen to songs from homestuck pretty frequently because theyre just that good lol

tertiaryapocalypse
Casual Poster ⚓︎

travelling through space at a very high speed

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: tertiaryapocalypse

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024 @685.13 »

oh man, yeah. i'm actually a pretty big homestuck fan right now! i read it first over the pandemic but i've read it again like, 3 or 4 times since? like starlitPrimrose said, i tend to approach it with a critical eye since a lot of the comic has questionable word choices or coding (in the literature sense, rather than the technical.) but i think it's really strong at building characters that feel real, and that seems to be the general consensus of other fans!

i like acts 1-4 the most honestly, once it gets to act 6 i start to lose interest in rereading it even if it was the act i liked the most initially. it loses a certain je ne sais quoi at that point, i guess! my favourite characters are definitely john, jane, and terezi, though :transport:

a button for the site tertiaryapocalypse, which reads 'visit mars' in all caps and below it reads the site name.a button reading long gone legends in black and white with an eye icon with a star pupil
Misanthropic Monster™
Full Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

View Profile WWW

bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024 @700.59 »

oh man, yeah. i'm actually a pretty big homestuck fan right now! i read it first over the pandemic but i've read it again like, 3 or 4 times since? like starlitPrimrose said, i tend to approach it with a critical eye since a lot of the comic has questionable word choices or coding (in the literature sense, rather than the technical.) but i think it's really strong at building characters that feel real, and that seems to be the general consensus of other fans!

i like acts 1-4 the most honestly, once it gets to act 6 i start to lose interest in rereading it even if it was the act i liked the most initially. it loses a certain je ne sais quoi at that point, i guess! my favourite characters are definitely john, jane, and terezi, though :transport:

I totally agree with you and starlitPrimrose, there are 'dated' concepts and jokes in it which I also have to navigate around to still enjoy the story. I think there are a lot of things like that... I know some movies I loved a lot as a kid, have now gotten SO dated in their jokes and concepts that I can't even enjoy them haha.

ayo! huge homestuck fan here lol :O) i read it in full sometime in late 2021 i think. i've been meaning to re-read it again for funsies but my current hyperfixations haven't let me yet LOL my cousin is the one who originally tried to get me into it, i think around 2017-ish? but due to some personal life circumstances around the time i wasn't able to get too far into it. i was watching a reading/comic dub of it back then lol so there are certain narrative voices that i think of whenever i read anything homestuck related.

given some of the very... era-typical language thats used in the comic (slurs and other such references) i tend to look at homestuck with a view of Enjoy It but Criticize it if that makes sense. I like to enjoy the story and characters, but i also like to acknowledge that some of the content and language used in it was Not Okay lol idk  :drat: idk how to really phrase this right so i hope that made sense

that aside, i have a few different favorite characters! Troll-wise, back then my favorite troll would've probably been Gamzee, these days i'm split between Kanaya and Terezi (mostly Kanaya tbh) as for the kids, Dave Strider is my absolute Favorite followed closely by John

funnily enough, you know how the trolls have lots of different blood colors? i came up with the idea of my non-human ocs having different blood colors before i read homestuck, and then i read homestuck and was like "yo hold up! :O" lmao

love or hate homestuck tho, the music from it are all bangers. i listen to songs from homestuck pretty frequently because theyre just that good lol

It's good to know people still love Homestuck!! I felt like the fandom had petered off a little in terms of activity and whatnot. I rarely see much Homestuck fanarts anymore floating about.

I agree though, dated humour/jokes can make it a bit cringe to re-read but I think there are few enough that it's easily worked around to still enjoy the main story and characters.

Another Gamzee fan! :D I just have a weakness for clowniness in any capacity haha.

That blood colors thing ticked me, I get you though! I've had so many 'original ideas' that I later realised somebody else had come up with in almost the precise same way, or that is already established in some other media. I guess it's that thing of no idea of truly original sort of thing, and everyone at some point would have already come up with something that someone now would deem quite unique if they didn't have that frame of reference already.

YES there was LOT'S of bangers in Homestuck, I remember so much of the music being epic and a total bop!

NetherFalcon
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Goddess of Stupidity

iMood: NetherFalcon
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024 @52.08 »

Oh my god!! i was wondering when there'll be a thread for homestuck, i LOVE homestuck, i am mega obsessed with it!

Well talking about favorite characters so far are jade harley, dave strider, karkat, and rose

I do have some more favorites but it'll be long to list it all here, haha

Also i like your fan-troll!

Triplets born, the throne awaits...
Misanthropic Monster™
Full Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

View Profile WWW

bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024 @62.15 »

Oh my god!! i was wondering when there'll be a thread for homestuck, i LOVE homestuck, i am mega obsessed with it!

Well talking about favorite characters so far are jade harley, dave strider, karkat, and rose

I do have some more favorites but it'll be long to list it all here, haha

Also i like your fan-troll!

Aaah! It's so great to find another Homestuck fan on here!

Thanks for the comment - It's been a while since I've draw her, I might try my had at re-drawing her over the weekend!  :ha:

almostcorporeal
Jr. Member ⚓︎

you are a violent and irrepressible mirable

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Cool Dude AwardJoined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024 @597.22 »

i loved homestuck and was reading it when it was originally being released on mspaintadventures! i finished it when it finished as well and am currently re-reading it using TUHC (The Unofficial Homestuck Collection) with the slur removal mod and a few other QoL mods! i would super recommend it as it makes the entire webcomic read a lot smoother and in general be a bit more palatable, but obviously you should still be critical of it.

my favorite characters are karkat and dave!

the reviews are in: "living legend amongst us with an acceptable opinion of Radiohead"
formadscience
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2024 @136.90 »

I've been a fan since the beginning. It's kind of weird to think that there are people out there who are still reading it for the very first time years after it finished because I honestly can't imagine what that would be like. So much of Homestuck exists as a dialogue with the fandom (either literally or indirectly) that it feels like you would miss a lot of context by not being able to see how that fandom developed and changed along the way. I feel like the loss of the MSPA forums was, in a way, a loss of a part of the story itself.

And also a loss on a more personal level because I was fairly active on the image manipulation threads at the time and I've since misplaced all of the files for the stuff I posted there. The character sprites were really fun to edit.
Ninaiso
Casual Poster

That "Fandom Freak"

StatusCafe: Ninaiso
iMood: Ninaiso

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2024 @111.78 »

Whoops! So late but happy belated 4/13 guys!! I love homestuck!!!  :transport:

I was there when it started, was one of my early fandoms and one of the most impactful fandoms I've been in! I've reread it quite a bit, and am keeping up (sometimes begrudgingly lol) with Homestuck^2 as well.

My favorite character is Kankri for sure (listen I had a whole fleshed out story for him), and Jade a close second! I related to her quite a bit and love cosplaying her and Kankri! I plan to have a shrine on my site eventually ye :ha:

Nice to meet other fans, love reading all you guys' experiences and favorites in this cherished piece of media!! :4u:

arsenicCatnip
Casual Poster

Big Big Worm is Wriggling With Glee!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2024 @494.39 »

You'll never guess who my favorite character is ... :-P

Really though, Homestuck is awesome. I read it for the first time back in January '22 and to be honest, I'm only about two-thirds of the way through! But it's a thrill of a comic, a revolutionary standpoint in computer entertainment, and I really oughta get to finishing it at some point. I'm not as into it as I was when I first started reading it, my mind is more occupied with Zelda as of late, but let it be known that I can never look at a zodiac calendar the same way again...:33

--ArsenicCatnip :-P
sharpieBath
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Average Homestuckian

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2024 @613.46 »

Dude.... I fuckiŋ LOVE Homestuck!! It's been my main hyperfixation for over a year now (well, besides Linux, lol.) I've only read it once þough, but I do plan to give it anoþer read once I'm on summer break :D

It's a story I resonate a lot wiþ, as I very much grew up on þe internet (lol.) Þe dialogue feels really natural and a lot of times I would be like "þis is a conversation I could see myself haviŋ wiþ my online friends!" while readiŋ. Þe characters in Homestuck are probably þe characters I have related to þe most out of any media, honestly.

My favorite character is Dirk. If I were to explain all þe reasons why I liked him þis post would turn into a very loŋ and incomprehensible essay LOL but basically I þink he's just kind of funny in a lot of ways (like how in general he just cannot Chill Out) but also his internal struggles and þe splinter stuff gave me Brain Worms, also he's incredibly loyal and would die for his friends.

My oþer favorites include Roxy, Terezi, Lil Hal, and Aradia! Aradia in particular I grew incredibly fond of duriŋ act 6; she's not given as much attention as some oþer characters but I þink a lot of her scenes are some of þe most iconic in þe entire comic.

You can't fight þe homestuck!!
Misanthropic Monster™
Full Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

View Profile WWW

bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2024 @883.88 »

Dude.... I fuckiŋ LOVE Homestuck!! It's been my main hyperfixation for over a year now (well, besides Linux, lol.) I've only read it once þough, but I do plan to give it anoþer read once I'm on summer break :D

It's a story I resonate a lot wiþ, as I very much grew up on þe internet (lol.) Þe dialogue feels really natural and a lot of times I would be like "þis is a conversation I could see myself haviŋ wiþ my online friends!" while readiŋ. Þe characters in Homestuck are probably þe characters I have related to þe most out of any media, honestly.

My favorite character is Dirk. If I were to explain all þe reasons why I liked him þis post would turn into a very loŋ and incomprehensible essay LOL but basically I þink he's just kind of funny in a lot of ways (like how in general he just cannot Chill Out) but also his internal struggles and þe splinter stuff gave me Brain Worms, also he's incredibly loyal and would die for his friends.

My oþer favorites include Roxy, Terezi, Lil Hal, and Aradia! Aradia in particular I grew incredibly fond of duriŋ act 6; she's not given as much attention as some oþer characters but I þink a lot of her scenes are some of þe most iconic in þe entire comic.

I adore that you use þorn and eŋ when you type... that is awesome!

sharpieBath
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Average Homestuckian

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2024 @888.56 »

I adore that you use þorn and eŋ when you type... that is awesome!

Þank you!! :D

You can't fight þe homestuck!!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (1)

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi