Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @159.06 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 40/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :eyes: ~ Inconvenience is counterculture ~ :eyes:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | | |-+  What's your main Operating System?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Poll
Question: What computer OS do you use most frequently on a normal day?
Windows 11 - with significant modifications / ameliorated   -4 (6.9%)
Windows 11   -9 (15.5%)
Windows 10 - with significant modifications / ameliorated   -2 (3.4%)
Windows 10   -10 (17.2%)
Windows 8/8.1 ???   -0 (0%)
Windows 7   -3 (5.2%)
Windows XP   -0 (0%)
Linux - With a modern UI   -14 (24.1%)
Linux - With a retro UI   -8 (13.8%)
Linux - Terminal only   -1 (1.7%)
MacOS 11+ (Near Fully Updated)   -6 (10.3%)
MacOS 10.9 - 10.15 (Mavericks to Catalina)   -1 (1.7%)
MacOS 10.0 - 10.8 (Leopard ect)   -0 (0%)
Chrome OS - You're on a chromebook   -0 (0%)
BeOS / Haiku - Please tell use more!   -0 (0%)
OS/2 Arca - Please tell use more!   -0 (0%)
FreeBSD - Please tell use more!   -0 (0%)
AmigaOS - Please tell use more!   -0 (0%)
DOS - Please tell use more!   -0 (0%)
Other (Please say!)   -0 (0%)
Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: What's your main Operating System?  (Read 2416 times)
Historia-Q
Casual Poster

I'm just a silly comet worm browsing the forums

⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2024 @170.67 »

I use Windows 11 and I haven't done much customization (I wish they got rid of Copilot though fuck that ai slop and it replacing the hide desktop button at the bottom right corner :angry: )

Solo dev of Mimosa and the Clocktower. Click on the image above to enter the MATC portal.
Feel free to contact me if it's anything important, but I tend to be busy irl.
invader_gvim
Jr. Member ⚓︎

My husband kept loving me when I became a girl.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Sent On Earth By The Almighty TallestJoined 2024!
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2024 @975.22 »

Currently I use Debian but soon I will be upgrading everything to AntiX. I have really been enjoying Wayland on KDE and all in all my computer is my third love in life.

PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2024 @159.14 »

My desktop is running good old-fashioned Windows 7! It came out in 2011 and I picked it up at an estate sale, though the previous owner had downgraded it to Windows 10, so I had to upgrade it back to Windows 7. I like it so much better! And of course I use an antivirus and other security methods to keep it safe since it is an older OS. But really,  it's just so much nicer to use, less dumbed-down and less spy-y. (and need I mention much prettier?).

My laptop, meanwhile, is running a recent version of Mac OS. I don't enjoy using it nearly as much, and so most of the time I use the desktop. It's really not nearly as pleasant of an experience and feels like it's been dumbed down to be similar to the lowest-common-denominators of smartphones and tablets instead of being a real computer OS---much like Windows 10 and 11. (Even 8 didn't mess with the desktop that much---with a start menu, it was basically Windows 7 with a flat look!) Speaking of, my netbook has Windows 8.1 on it, with a start menu installed, but it's currently out of commission due to a problem with the Wi-Fi card. I may install Linux on either that or my desktop in the future as a dual-boot, but in general, especially on the desktop, I'm happy with Windows as my primary OS. (As long as it's not Windows 11.)

"...And we are not angels, to be comforted by seeing the means for which everything is sent."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters

Marchy
Newbie ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2024 @225.02 »

I recently bailed on windows and google (again) and switched over to Mac/iOS. The usability has gotten wild. I can take my laptop with me to the couch, cast a game instantly through AppleTV and use my XBOX controller if I want to. I can copy/paste anything from my phone to my laptop directly. After taking a full dive into the apple eco system I don't really see myself ever going back to anything else.  :pc:
HalfOfBilly
Casual Poster

Neat!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2024 @487.16 »

I've been a Windows 11 user for the last couple of years, but finally figured out how to setup dual-boot with Kubuntu last week.
Once I port my apps over to Linux and get past its *quirks*, I'm planning to use Kubuntu as my casual OS, because I love how much more customizable it is compared to the lock-down nature of Windows, and its better security/privacy.

If any more-experienced Linux/Kubuntu users have any tips, I'd love to hear them! I'd call myself fairly computer-savvy, but I'm completely new to Linux and its features.

I'm an animator who animates animations (now in 1080p!!)
garystu
Full Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2024 @591.59 »

Windows 11. Lots of tinkering to protect my privacy (not rlly I just downloaded a script from privacy.sexy). I don't mind Linux but tbh i just wanna run Windows applications. The Windowz monopoly wins. :sad:  :evil:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024 @233.62 by garystu » Logged

gazafunds.com | Daily click for Palestine

xoxoxoxoxoxo
Signature Graphic ^^^ Credits
[close]
xoxoxoxoxoxo

bingus_baby
Full Member ⚓︎

Baby of the bingus...

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2024 @617.26 »

I use whatever the newest MacOS is at the time. I always love the new features they add!

On Windows, I'll never upgrade from 10. I used 11 for about a week before things got inconvenient and weird, and then I reinstalled 10. Last I checked you still can't right click the task bar to get task manager. There were other small weird things that shifted everything around. I'm entering my stubborn grandpa era, I suppose...

I also have an old laptop with Windows 7 and Puppy Linux installed. Not sure which version, but I think it was the one based on Debian? Other honorable mentions are my Windows XP tower and Snow Leopard MacBook. But none of these I use on the daily. It's for weekend boredom projects mostly!

grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2024 @974.66 »

Win7 on my desktop, Win11 on my laptop. But heaven forbid I ask any tech questions online and say I have Win7 (for relevance lol) Because they always have a fit  :skull:  they're all like "omg dont use win7 you will get virus and your pc will blow up" (more or less, hehe)... and yes, a lot of stuff is unsupported, but it does in fact get updates from Microsoft, Waterfox routinely gets updates still, and I think will be hanging onto Win7 for a while at least. It's such a good and stable OS and NO nagging!

I dont visit nefarious sites or download weirdo stuff. I just hang out on some websites and youtube, basically. Anyway that was off topic, haha.

I might switch over to Linux (maybe Linux Mint) when I need a new desktop. This PC now has some issues on start-up, so I know that every time I boot it up / turn it off may be the last, lol.

But as much as Linux has evolved, it's still too fiddly for us commoners, and I've had it as a dual boot on a laptop and it was TERRIBLE. Constantly over-heated the HDD (or something), having it go at 100% non stop, plowing through the battery in like barely 30 minutes (Where Windows would easily get a few hours.) Just a horrible broken mess, and the Linux Le Redditors were no help at all, oh m god Linux white knights are crazy, haha. :dunno:

Rol
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Silly Miltank

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2024 @977.99 »

Currently I use Debian but soon I will be upgrading everything to AntiX. I have really been enjoying Wayland on KDE and all in all my computer is my third love in life.
Curious, why AntiX out of all things? I've heard nothing about it before that would make one want to use it over Debian.

My desktop is running good old-fashioned Windows 7! It came out in 2011 and I picked it up at an estate sale, though the previous owner had downgraded it to Windows 10, so I had to upgrade it back to Windows 7. I like it so much better! And of course I use an antivirus and other security methods to keep it safe since it is an older OS. But really,  it's just so much nicer to use, less dumbed-down and less spy-y. (and need I mention much prettier?).

My laptop, meanwhile, is running a recent version of Mac OS. I don't enjoy using it nearly as much, and so most of the time I use the desktop. It's really not nearly as pleasant of an experience and feels like it's been dumbed down to be similar to the lowest-common-denominators of smartphones and tablets instead of being a real computer OS---much like Windows 10 and 11. (Even 8 didn't mess with the desktop that much---with a start menu, it was basically Windows 7 with a flat look!) Speaking of, my netbook has Windows 8.1 on it, with a start menu installed, but it's currently out of commission due to a problem with the Wi-Fi card. I may install Linux on either that or my desktop in the future as a dual-boot, but in general, especially on the desktop, I'm happy with Windows as my primary OS. (As long as it's not Windows 11.)

Don't blame them for why Windows 10 is on there! We all know the ways Microsoft forced everyone onto there  :happy:

Quote from: melooon
you: Hello fridge, I would like the milk please :cheesy:
fridge: Ooo u look so pretty, lemmy order more onions from Amazon
you: wait no! :drat:
fridge: i love you so much i ordered onions!

Memory
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2024 @412.69 »

yes, a lot of stuff is unsupported, but it does in fact get updates from Microsoft, Waterfox routinely gets updates still, and I think will be hanging onto Win7 for a while at least.

And Windows XP and 98 as well. Big efforts have been made by the community to extend the capabilities beyond what those OS were when being in support by Microsoft.

A 2006 XP desktop is my "powerhorse" for games. I'd like to expect the life-span of a train from my machines, and Windows XP is certainly a very useable OS online thanks to special browsers being developed for it.

Constantly over-heated the HDD (or something), having it go at 100% non stop, plowing through the battery in like barely 30 minutes (Where Windows would easily get a few hours.)

Sounds like one of these bad luck cases. Sometimes the Linux drivers just don't fit well with the hardware. I'd give a different Linux system a try. Maybe current Salix, as that's less demanding for top-new hardware. If that's not performing well, go backwards on an older version, as they are more lightweight. Or the laptop might be toast indeed.

grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2024 @474.06 »

And Windows XP and 98 as well. Big efforts have been made by the community to extend the capabilities beyond what those OS were when being in support by Microsoft.

A 2006 XP desktop is my "powerhorse" for games. I'd like to expect the life-span of a train from my machines, and Windows XP is certainly a very useable OS online thanks to special browsers being developed for it.

Sounds like one of these bad luck cases. Sometimes the Linux drivers just don't fit well with the hardware. I'd give a different Linux system a try. Maybe current Salix, as that's less demanding for top-new hardware. If that's not performing well, go backwards on an older version, as they are more lightweight. Or the laptop might be toast indeed.

The laptop was indeed toast. I removed the battery to check the serial number behind it, and would you know, either the laptop or the battery had warped due to heat, so once I took it out, it did not fit back inside the slot.
I can still use the laptop, but with the power supply only  - and it's slow beyond hope. The software/apps/etc are not that bad, once the PC is up and running, but it takes like 10 minutes to power on it feels, and oh my god it's brutal to start any program. Once they start, they're fine. But the laptop is completely jumbled in its brain, lol. (I dont use it anyway anymore, so.)

And yeh, you're right. I think a few others also said that it could happen, sometimes the Linux drivers just did not match the hardware. And I'm usually very RNG unlucky, so I'm not very tempted to spend a fortune on a new gaming PC, only to have Linux completely fry it.

Oh and yes I also have an (offline) winXP PC! I love WinXP so much! It's literally the fastest start-up PC I've ever had, beats Win10 and Win11 too (if you count Win10 and WIn11 from actual shut down +nagware updates, not just their perpetual sleep mode). It's so fast and reliable, it's got tons of features and functions - I was so lucky too, cause I used it to transfer some old DV tapes over to digital files. (I could install a pci-e firewire card!) Ahhhh I love XP so much. Looks amazing, lots of customization, later version are very stable, etc. :loved:  :loved:  :loved:

georgemoody
Jr. Member ⚓︎

To Tux or not to Tux, that is the question

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: georgemoody
iMood: georgemoody
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

moodyFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2024 @988.10 »

currently running Slackware! it's the rolling release branch of it since my current laptop is too incompatible with regular old Slackware's kernel. using xfce as the DE, should change my gtk theme to something more retro some time. I never thought in a million years that i'd find debugging package dependencies and compiling fun and exciting but here i am i guess :P

Code
                  :::::::                      georgemoody@georgebooky.local 
            :::::::::::::::::::                ----------------------------- 
         :::::::::::::::::::::::::             OS: Slackware 15.0 x86_64 (post 15.0 -current) x86_64 
       ::::::::cllcccccllllllll::::::          Host: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. FA617NS 
    :::::::::lc               dc:::::::        Kernel: 6.9.3 
   ::::::::cl   clllccllll    oc:::::::::      Uptime: 20 mins 
  :::::::::o   lc::::::::co   oc::::::::::     Packages: 1616 (pkgtool) 
 ::::::::::o    cccclc:::::clcc::::::::::::    Shell: bash 5.2.26 
 :::::::::::lc        cclccclc:::::::::::::    Resolution: 1920x1200 
::::::::::::::lcclcc          lc::::::::::::   DE: Xfce 4.18 
::::::::::cclcc:::::lccclc     oc:::::::::::   WM: Xfwm4 
::::::::::o    l::::::::::l    lc:::::::::::   WM Theme: Greybird 
 :::::cll:o     clcllcccll     o:::::::::::    Theme: Greybird [GTK2/3] 
 :::::occ:o                  clc:::::::::::    Icons: elementary-xfce-dark [GTK2/3] 
  ::::ocl:ccslclccclclccclclc:::::::::::::     Terminal: xfce4-terminal 
   :::oclcccccccccccccllllllllllllll:::::      Terminal Font: Monospace 12 
    ::lcc1lcccccccccccccccccccccccco::::       CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS with Radeon Graphics (16) @ 4.829GHz 
      ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::         GPU: AMD ATI Radeon 680M 
        ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::           GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 7700S/7600/7600S/7600M XT/PRO W7600 
           ::::::::::::::::::::::              Memory: 5079MiB / 31332MiB 
                ::::::::::::

I have no idea what I’m doing.
invader_gvim
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2024 @30.61 »

Curious, why AntiX out of all things? I've heard nothing about it before that would make one want to use it over Debian.

Don't blame them for why Windows 10 is on there! We all know the ways Microsoft forced everyone onto there  :happy:

I like AntiX because it is basically Debian without anything which isn't 100% open source and also "good" for linux. Nothing on it is dependant on corporations, and it is important that distros like AntiX continue to exist so that linux is never fully enslaved by corporate entities. In addition, the creators and the members of its forum are all anti-capitalists who are very easy for me to get along with. I really like Debian, but the atmosphere of the AntiX forum and the community around it reminds me of how it is here. Technically something like Arch Linux provides most of the benefits I just listed, but the community for that can be a little mean compared to AntiX.  :smile:  :cheesy:  :grin:

invader_gvim
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2024 @65.10 »

currently running Slackware! it's the rolling release branch of it since my current laptop is too incompatible with regular old Slackware's kernel. using xfce as the DE, should change my gtk theme to something more retro some time. I never thought in a million years that i'd find debugging package dependencies and compiling fun and exciting but here i am i guess :P

Code
                  :::::::                      georgemoody@georgebooky.local 
            :::::::::::::::::::                ----------------------------- 
         :::::::::::::::::::::::::             OS: Slackware 15.0 x86_64 (post 15.0 -current) x86_64 
       ::::::::cllcccccllllllll::::::          Host: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. FA617NS 
    :::::::::lc               dc:::::::        Kernel: 6.9.3 
   ::::::::cl   clllccllll    oc:::::::::      Uptime: 20 mins 
  :::::::::o   lc::::::::co   oc::::::::::     Packages: 1616 (pkgtool) 
 ::::::::::o    cccclc:::::clcc::::::::::::    Shell: bash 5.2.26 
 :::::::::::lc        cclccclc:::::::::::::    Resolution: 1920x1200 
::::::::::::::lcclcc          lc::::::::::::   DE: Xfce 4.18 
::::::::::cclcc:::::lccclc     oc:::::::::::   WM: Xfwm4 
::::::::::o    l::::::::::l    lc:::::::::::   WM Theme: Greybird 
 :::::cll:o     clcllcccll     o:::::::::::    Theme: Greybird [GTK2/3] 
 :::::occ:o                  clc:::::::::::    Icons: elementary-xfce-dark [GTK2/3] 
  ::::ocl:ccslclccclclccclclc:::::::::::::     Terminal: xfce4-terminal 
   :::oclcccccccccccccllllllllllllll:::::      Terminal Font: Monospace 12 
    ::lcc1lcccccccccccccccccccccccco::::       CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS with Radeon Graphics (16) @ 4.829GHz 
      ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::         GPU: AMD ATI Radeon 680M 
        ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::           GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 7700S/7600/7600S/7600M XT/PRO W7600 
           ::::::::::::::::::::::              Memory: 5079MiB / 31332MiB 
                ::::::::::::

thats such a cool neofetch

di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2024 @69.17 »

I felt done with Windows when they added Copilot to my computer. Then I heard about Recall, and I made the switch the next day (since I have some extra free time.)

Turns out everything I want to do on Windows I can do just fine on Linux. Even play my silly old games. :cheesy: I run a distribution called Zorin OS.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

GUIDE: How to fix links on a frame site! - MK Frame-Link System

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 9
Views: 9673
Last post March 10, 2024 @777.40
by Salty
My system's doing a con panel on web design, any tips or suggestions?

Started by xX_irkeneonz_XxBoard ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!

Replies: 2
Views: 1441
Last post May 27, 2022 @570.76
by xX_irkeneonz_Xx
Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!

Replies: 42
Views: 5128
Last post September 29, 2024 @977.08
by boyrotting

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi